3 Novels Which Can Change the Way You See the World - by SC Skillman

I have loved many books in my life, but the ones that stand out for me have three ingredients: archetypal themes, emotional charge and X factor. And they are the ones which can indeed change the way you see the world.

1) The power to shock and move

Shusaku Endo's Silence


Set in the 17th century, this is the story of the persecution of Jesuit missionaries sent to Japan. It has been called 'Endo's supreme achievement' and 'one of the twentieth century's finest novels'. In this book, the Catholic Endo explores the theme of a silent God who accompanies the believer in adversity. It was greatly influenced by the author's experience of religious discrimination in Japan and racism in France. During the years that have elapsed since I read this book, I have never forgotten the image of the Japanese Christians being tied to a stake at the sea's edge, and forced to endure the sea rolling back and forth over their bodies, and singing: We are going to the temple, going to the temple of God. Somehow for me this stands as an image of a race, whose native religion is so different from Christianity, assimilating Christian theology into their own belief system, and expressing a faith which transcends personal suffering. How has it changed me? It has informed my understanding of the way human beings adopt different faith systems ever since.

2) The power to change your view of human nature

Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray



This story is considered by some to be the greatest horror story ever written. When I finished reading this story I felt 'scoured out' emotionally, psychologically and spiritually. This tale of how one man's soul can be destroyed through the devious manipulations of another, is summed up in a terrifying image: the portrait that reflects the creeping corruption of a man's soul, and whose destruction must result in the death of its subject. I felt the real villain of the piece to be Lord Henry Wotton who first stirs up the artist and persuades Dorian of his beauty, thus sewing the seeds of his eventual destruction. Beauty, and our perception of it and response to it, lies at the heart of this masterpiece. 

3) The power to give new insight into human psychology

Dostoyevsky' s Crime and Punishment



Another unforgettable moment is provided by this great novel, which tells the story of impoverished student Raskolnikov who determines to rid the world of the grasping old woman money lender. He persuades himself that his actions are benevolent, for the greater good of the community, and thus he has a high moral purpose. But when he is forced to kill the old woman's half-sister, innocent Lizaveta, then his conscience starts its work. Again one moment has remained with me: when Raskolnikov is eventually compelled to give himself up to the police who have been long hunting him: It was I who killed the old woman and Lizaveta. This profound novel, once read, stays with you forever. And this indeed sums up the power of a novel which will change how you see the world.



SC Skillman writes psychological, paranormal, mystery
fiction and non-fiction
She is the author of Mystical Circles, A Passionate Spirit and Perilous Path
Her latest book Paranormal Warwickshire was published by Amberley in Nov 2021
She is now working on her next book for Amberley:
 Illustrated Tales of Warwickshire
which will be released in 2022

Comments

  1. Three great choices. Thank you for the overview, this made fascinating reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed my summary of the 3 books.

      Delete
  2. Most interesting - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay- on my reading list now. I’ve always been frightened of reading Dorian Grey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does have a passage of pure horror in the latter half of the novel and yet this is a perfect example of horror used to great and profound effect evoking pity, compassion and so many reflections on human nature.

      Delete
  4. Of these three novels, I've only read Dorian Grey (a masterpiece) but your range of fascinating books has opened my eyes to new possibilities. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I hope you do read Dostoyevsky and Endo. Powerful writers.

      Delete
  5. I've only read Dorian Gray too, not the others, but agree that it is a brilliant, brilliant story. I think I've taught it at A level and it has so much for modern teenagers to resonate with in terms of ideas about image and identity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too have only read Dorian Gray. Thanks for introducing me to Endo. Once again - so many good books, not enough time!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment