Distractions, Digressions, Diversions...

"13  … one thing I do [it is my one aspiration]: forgetting what lies behind and straining
forward to what lies ahead,
 

14 I press on toward the goal to win the [supreme and heavenly] prize to which God in Christ Jesus is calling us upward."

                                         Philippians 3:13-14 



 

I am sure we could all identify with having a goal, a desire, a commission from the Lord to complete in our life time.  Yet life is fraught with challenges that threaten to take us off course. Despite those, the Lord directs our paths, knows our innermost thoughts, turns everything to good, and brings peace on knowing His timing is perfect.

 

In lockdown I was writing a daily 500-word blog.  It was an ongoing story and the plot flowed.  My daily structure before, and during lockdown, remains the same, time with the Lord, answering emails and organising our lives before a sometimes a late lunch, and daily writing until 5.00 pm. Sunday and Wednesday involves church activities on Zoom, but soon will revert to meeting together and having travel time.  I ask myself how I managed to write four 400 page books, and why this time can't I settle, but continually distract myself?  Now I am asking the Lord if it's because I’ve taken His plot off course.

 

Then comes the digressions. The end of the last book ended unexpectedly leaving the reader wanting to know what happened next.  Each book is written from the main character's viewpoint, so I had to find a way to insert that within the first chapter of Janice, not easy with her in a coma!  As she recovers, her memory is only of her first seven years, but her brain restores with the thoughts, opinions and attitudes of the missing twenty. I have to constantly digress from the main story in order to show, not tell.  Janice's hearing returns first, but you can only do so many overheard conversations. These then have to contain useful information of her e.g. being attacked and robbed in London, the police having no clue to her identity and revealing to Janice she can't remember her name.  Dialogue too with my main character remains limited for at least three chapters, while she learns to speak again, although you know her mind responses.  It difficult not to write monologues from hospital visitors, making more digressions from the story to ensure there is at least some action, and the need to add or change an earlier scene. With Helen, a character, from previous books befriending her made another digression from Janice and the plot as needed to fill in her background as she talks to Janice hoping to spark her memories.

 

Three chapters in two months!  The diversions seem interminable. Simple things mean a visit to Google for 1974, the re-reading of my previous books where Helen appears, and writing her backstory to fit with previous information.  At least at two ACW local meetings I have been able to write two exciting scenes which I long to develop, but at present progress wonder when I will get to them! The new freedoms mean time to catch up with friends, visit and entertain them. Next, a rebooked cruise in August, and last week summer arrived.  Needless to say I have succumbed to enjoying it while it lasts!

 

Comments

  1. You have achieved a lot in a very short time. Now it is time to enjoy freedom time without guilt! Enjoy your cruise!! You may yet find more rich materials for your blog!! Lovely post!! Remain blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in awe of your output and discipline. You're definitely due some free time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Ruth, my head is spinning at the very thought of doing all that!! I often find myself googling weird stuff like "posh names for girls born in the 1980s" and "what were the trendiest cocktails in the Noughties" but this is mere fluff compared to a lady in a coma being the narrative voice. I am so impressed!! Agree with the other comments. You are SO due some time off to rest and recuperate. I bet God is really looking forward to sitting with you on that cruise gazing out to sea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, as others have said, 'down time' is due: it's simply relax and refresh time, and your writing brain will recover itself and one day out of 'nowhere' or maybe even 'somewhere', the next move forward will emerge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the creative brain is an amazing gift and it sounds as if yours is incredibly creative! I agree that you probably need to give it a rest and I bet while you do, it will come up with all sorts of plot/writing ideas at the most inconvenient times. Have a wonderful time on the cruise! Something I've never done...

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! makes my head spin! Well done is all I can say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone for your comments. that's so encouraging, and having just decided with a change of weather forecast, today is definitely going to be a pool day, And, I can't settle either to read a novel, but have been drawn by the Lord to Middle Eastern culture through a series of recent event. And have been reading a fascinating study by Kenneth E Bailey in "Jesus Through Middle Eastern Eyes" which opens up a whole new perspective of the New Testament. It brings a whole new understanding which we don't see due to our Bible translations and generational mindsets that have been birthed in a western culture. It brings a whole new dimension to Jesus birth and His teaching the disciples His truths. And a whole section on how the Lord encouraged the women around Him. As I will have to write the blog before 21st August when we hope to have a week's seascape around the UK, I might focous on his writing, rather than mine!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment