Don't Give Up!!

I must have been about ten years old, I’m guessing. My piano teacher asked me to buy some new music and recommended the shop that would have it. Now, for those who don’t know Portsmouth, I’ll explain the layout. From the seafront, Burgoyne Road becomes Waverley Road, becomes Lawrence Road, then Fawcett Road, Fratton Road, Kingston Road, Hilsea Road and so on until you hit the sea again, somewhere in the north of Scotland. I lived on Lawrence Road so basically walked due north, heading for Waites Music in Kingston Road. My only plan was to keep walking until I happened upon the shop, which I’d never visited before. I walked and walked and walked. Eventually, convinced that I must have misunderstood the simple, nay fool-proof, directions, I turned back and went home empty-handed. The next day, my dad drove us through the city on the way to visit our grandparents. I recognised the spot where I’d decided to give up my quest and realised, with some degree of frustration, that the shop was probably only another twenty paces further on, around a slight curve in the road.

I don’t know what your writing journey looks like. I don’t know the destination you are heading for, how long you’ve been going and what you plan to do when you get there. I don’t know the burdens you carry nor the companions (good or otherwise) that accompany you. But one thing I’m pretty sure of is that at some point you will get tired, lose (or think you’ve lost) the way and will contemplate giving up.

My simple message to you this month is this: please don’t do that.

Now, I realise that there are natural shelf-lives for most of life’s activities and even at my (*coughs lightly) tender age, there are some things I’ve had to let go of. We can’t possibly cram everything into our tightly limited 24-hour set up and wisdom dictates we have to pick and choose. However, this is not the context in which I’m writing. I’m addressing those of you who have found the way ahead fogged up by other people’s unhelpful reactions and whose toes are sore from kicking at doors which refuse to open.

Jesus told a parable regarding a fruiting tree that had so far failed to crop. “Dig it up!” cried the landowner. “It’s a waste of space!” But Jesus describes the gardener advising differently. “Give it another year. Dig round it, fertilise it, sing to it and remind it what it’s supposed to do for a living. Only after that do you consider uprooting it and planting marrows instead.”

So, to the weary, as-yet-unfruitful writers; to the distracted, despondent pen-smiths; to the once-hopeful, the well-intentioned and anyone else who’s reading, I say this:

You’re a writer.

Remind yourself of it, often.

Re-visit the map.

Keep going.

Don’t give up.




 Jane Walters is the author of Too Soon (Jane Clamp, SPCK) and writes regularly for UCB. She leads two ACW groups in Norfolk and writing retreats further afield. She is Vice Chair of ACW.

Comments

  1. A fantastic message. And your anecdote is one that many must relate to from their own experience. We never know when the attainment of our goal may be just a few steps further on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila. Not only just a few steps away but slightly out of sight. It’s no wonder we get discouraged.

      Delete
  2. A very welcome message to anyone at ANY stage! I think, particularly in the context of the pandemic, many of us have been tempted to think, 'Does what I do even matter in the light of all the gloom?' But, as you rightly say, the answer is yes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fran. It’s not time to plant marrows just yet....

      Delete
  3. And, yes, as Sheila says, the anecdote is such a great story and illustration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this blog really helpful, Jane. I think though we sometimes equate writing success with publication. Studying at the moment an MA course in Critical and Creative writing, I thought this would inspire me with the aim to publish another novel, something we are encouraged as students to do. But, no. Instead it has opened me up to the possibility of pursuing other writing projects - keep writing magazine articles with hopeful publication and even, writing up my memoir as a keepsake for my children. Journaling too for your own mental wellbeing is a really good use of writing skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Sheila, and I hope you continue to have great fulfilment through your writing.

      Delete
  5. So encouraging on a dark, drizzly January day, Jane. Thank you! I loved being taken for a walk through Portsmouth too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jane. This was very helpful and encouraging. I did NaNoWriMo for the first time in November, and it so encouraged me to just keep writing. Whether it's journaling, studying, or actually beginning what could some day be published, I need to keep going and not stop because I can't yet find the final goal. I'll keep your experience in my mind!

      Delete
  6. Encouragement is never out of date :-) - and I agree with the others, your story's a great illustration. May I also say, I like the new hairstyle: very 'stylish'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you! Although, after a few weeks of lockdown, who knows what it will look like!

      Delete
  7. This has blessed me so much. Thank you Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a brilliant post! Thank you so much Jane. Much needed on this dark, unforgiving morning. And I love your new haircut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deborah. Lockdown lengths beckon, I fear...







      Delete
  9. I love it. Thank you, Jane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Dawn. I hope you can keep going with renewed energy!

      Delete

Post a Comment