A Resurgence in Withdrawal – Pandemic Creativity and Covid-19 Lockdown Art

 


Many writers also enjoy other forms of creativity. Among us we may find songwriters and musicians, singers, dancers and cartooonists; actors and artists. I’ve taken up art. An artist friend lent me her artist’s supplies before the first lockdown and then of course I had no chance to call on her to give them back. She urged me to use them, though I hadn’t painted for years.

The sumptuous thick squidgy texture and the brilliant colours of the acrylic paint called me, and the full set of artist’s brushes invited me to engage with them.

So I ordered a Strathmore art pad online and began painting.

One of my earliest efforts presented an opportunity to lavish cobalt blue onto the paper…

blue and purple iris in acrylic paint SC Skillman lockdown art
blue and purple iris in acrylic paint SC Skillman lockdown art

Then I thought I’d try a tree of life…

tree of life in acrylic paints SC Skillman lockdown art
tree of life in acrylic paints SC Skillman lockdown art

The next one was in freestyle, and ended up looking like a fabric design:

red and yellow design acrylic paints SC Skillman lockdown art
red and yellow design acrylic paints SC Skillman lockdown art

A beautiful blue borage flower caught my eye in a friend’s photo on Facebook. Some see it as a weed. I loved the colour and the symmetry.

borage flower in acrylic paints SC Skillman lockdown art
borage flower in acrylic paints SC Skillman lockdown art

The next day a photo of a quarry garden inspired me. My husband looked at my painting and identified the ‘path’ as a river, and that’s when I realised the photo is just a guide, and at a certain point lack of technical skill tips you over the edge into fantasy.

river and garden in acrylic paints SC Skillman lockdown art
river and garden in acrylic paints SC Skillman lockdown art

My sister sent me her photo of rich rainforest on the Queensland/New South Wales border. I loved the perspective. Standing on the edge of a cliff, the viewer gazes down to the waterfall far below.

rainforest and waterfall in acrylic paints SC Skillman lockdown art
rainforest and waterfall in acrylic paints SC Skillman lockdown art

Following a week in Cornwall visiting some vibrant tropical gardens, I felt like capturing one of the many vistas at Trebah:

garden and bridge in acrylic paints SC Skillman lockdown art
garden and bridge in acrylic paints SC Skillman lockdown art

For fiction writers, taking up another art form gives fresh insights into the process of creating a novel.

Each time I paint a picture there’s always a point when I think, ‘This is going to be a mess. This feels so random’. And probably many of us can relate to this, whilst writing the first draft of a novel.

Yet if we persist beyond that point, later, we may often read our manuscript through, and think, ‘oh it’s not so bad after all’.

Viewing a photo of art enables me to see it more objectively. It also changes the colour slightly and makes it appear more muted and subtle, and even gives the image a different feeling. So it is when, perhaps, we gain an insight onto our manuscripts by standing at one remove from it, which is often achieved by reading feedback on our work from a beta reader or an editor,

Something happens through that experience, an unexpected way of seeing the work afresh, from a new angle.

Do you have other artforms which give you great pleasure, and through which you express yourself, as well as creative writing?

Have you taken up anything new or creative in lockdown?

Perhaps feeling flat and dispirited and down has led to something unexpected, which has given you a sense of fresh possibilities?


SC Skillman

psychological, paranormal and mystery fiction and non-fiction

My latest book

Paranormal Warwickshire

 was published by Amberley on 15th November 2020.

Comments

  1. your art is so fresh and confident, i'm an artist and i don't think i can paint like this. each time i am to paint i have to ask jesus to take over so i won't strive and ruin it! works tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a good idea. I've got one on the go at the moment and I'm thinking, Where am I going to go with that one? I just have to lay paint to paper and watch it emerge!

      Delete
  2. Wow, these are amazing - such talent. The nearest I get to art is adult colouring, which I love. I do have some water colours somewhere so may look them out and give it a go again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I may have inspired you Wendy! I love adult colouring too and have a few examples of that stashed away somewhere...

      Delete
  3. These are beautiful Sheila! I have always had a thing about being only creative with writing and ideas for teaching. Your post has made me think again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect the ideas for teaching have involved several different creative areas. I'm often amazed by what school teachers come up with, in the way they decorate classrooms and engage the pupils' imagination. I discover that (or did before the pandemic) from yoga classes and choir rehearsals in local school halls...

      Delete
  4. What interests me so much about this is how you can tell an artist's individual 'voice' from their work just as you can in someone's writing. I do like your paintings. I haven't taken up anything different unless you count creativity on Zoom or Facebook in terms of how to teach or present or perform in a way that doesn't have people falling off their chairs, yawning. That's a challenge in itself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? Comedy routines, songwriting, singing, guitar playing, recording entertaining videos, performing funny poems.... your list of extracurricular creative activities seems ever-expanding!

      Delete
  5. These are really beautiful. Well done in discovering a new skill, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blimey, Sheila, is there nothing you cannot do? I am so so impressed. I love these pictures. Right up my street. Squ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops pressed publish too soon. Squidgy paint! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! And one of the other things I love about acrylics is you can paint over your mistakes and cover them up completely. Have just done that with my current picture.

      Delete
  8. I love the way you draw out the connections between writing and other forms of creativity. I used to be artistic - many moons ago, but now I pour out my creativity into writing or teaching (rather than other art forms).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is such a close parallel. Right now I'm looking at my latest newly-begun painting with a bridge and a Japanese minka house, thinking one of those is out of proportion with the other and which one am I going to re-orientate and transform - just like different characters or scenes or story points in a novel.

      Delete
  9. i love the fresh confidence and delight in your paintings. Thank you for sharing them. They have what mine lack. For me a trip to the art pad is like a trip to the dentist, so doesn't happen very often, though I'm told I'm quite good at it. But I am learning to trust God enough to be more spontaneous in both creative and relational aspects of my life. You have inspired me to continue.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment