The Slow Writers' Group


Years ago, I remember reading a poem  by Allan Ahlberg to my class. It's a wonderful poem and you may have read it yourself. It starts like this: -

'I - am - in - the - slow
read-ers' -group - my -broth
- er - is - in - the -foot
ball - team - my - sis -ter
is - a - ser - ver - my
lit - tle- brother - er - was
a - wise - man - in - the in-fants - christ - mas - play...'

The poem always tore at my heart as it sums up that awful sense of being labelled which can so demoralise a person. Even if we do not announce the labels, sometimes our behaviour and lack of tact can communicate them in ways we don't anticipate. We had a good discussion about it.

Some years ago, I presented a Parents' Workshop at school based on a book called Toxic Childhood by Sue Palmer. The book talked about the huge melting pot of influences endemic in modern society and how they were affecting children and young people. It mentioned things like too much instant gratification, too little outside activity and a life rushing from after-school club to Maths Coaching to swimming, with little or no time for imaginative play. Palmer talks in the book about the importance of 'slow time', that wonderful stare-at-the-leaves-moving kind of day when we are unhurried, our senses are heightened and time slows. She argues that human beings need this kind of slack in their lives in order to be contented in the short term and productive further on.

Writing, is (often frustratingly) a slow-time pursuit. For most of us, it involves putting one word in front of another until there are 70,000 or so. Then you have to go through and change them all. Then you do it again. And again. The setting must sing. The plot must hum. Every sentence must be polished until it shines. And, when you have shaved the excess off every syllable and finally sat back to survey the treasure you've created from your blood, sweat and tears, that is literally just the beginning.

Then must follow beta reading, proof reading, editing, changing, researching, emailing, applying, attaching, responding, hoping...To say nothing of publicising, marketing, promoting, selling. It's a long, slow business. If life has not taught us to slow, writing will. The best writers are slow-time masters. 

We had to move out of our house in London a few years ago to have it extended. We rented a funny old almshouse near a royal park for four months while the builders mauled our house to bits and rebuilt it. It was a strange time living in this slightly spooky house with its huge garden and walk-in pantry. It was a hot summer and I was teaching less and writing more. I started running in the park each day. It was a beautiful place to run with gravel pathways winding beneath tunnels of trees flecked with light. I remember thinking how happy I was living in this in-between place even though it was only really waiting for our house to be finished. I wondered whether it would end up being one of the happiest times of all. Looking back, it was.

It strikes me that writing may be like that. All the things we're doing now, in slow time, might sometimes seem to drag and be annoying, but the planning and plotting, the drafting and editing, well, they absorb us so completely don't they? And they are so...hopeful. You never know, they might end up being our happiest times of all.

I-am-in-the-slow-writ-ers'-group

But you know, for lots of reasons, it's not a bad place to be...


Deborah Jenkins is a primary school teacher and freelance writer who has written articles, text books, devotional notes and short stories. She writes regularly for the tes. She has also completed a novella, The Evenness of Things, available as an Amazon e-book and has just finished a full length novel. Deborah loves hats, trees and small children. After years overseas with her family, who are now grown up, she lives in Sussex with her husband, a Baptist minister, and a cat called Oliver.


















Comments

  1. I remember that lovely in-between cottage you were in - I came to visit once. I guess in some ways it's like a holiday when that happens - somewhere completely different and with a new perspective. Loved this blog post. Calming, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a slightly strange but interesting place wasn't it? Thanks re the post, written as ever for myself really :)

      Delete
  2. What a great post. And you're bang on about the writing process. Seeing it written down like that makes me understand how it can be so exhausting to produce a sustained piece of narrative. I love Toxic Childhood! I've never met anyone else who's heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither Ruth! A wonderful book, in't it? Really opens your eyes to things. Thanks for this lovely comment.

      Delete
  3. Lovely post, Deborah. Loved your phrases, "The setting must sing and the plot must hum."

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you do it? Create a great post when weary and to a short deadline?) I am all admiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was so lovely, Deborah, and I didn't realise it was you till I got to the end. I believe your class learnt a lot from you that day when you read that poem to them. What a brilliant way to share about the sadness of labelling. That half way house sounded delightful, I love the way you described your run. I want to read the Toxic childhood book too, or at least download the sample on my kindle. Even the post had a nice and slow feel to it. An encouraging and comforting read. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Martin. What a lovely encouraging comment on the post. Much appreciated, particularly as I had forgotten to write one due to a death in the family and only finished it at midnight the night before! Bless you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment