COVID is History by Nikki Salt


 

For the first time in six months, the house is quiet. The children are at school, husband at work. Even the dog, spared from endless cuddles and fussing, slumbers in peace. The guinea pig has saved foraging for another day and cocoons himself in sweet hay. Only the ferrets (a few months old and new to the household) play their noisy games of hide and seek but they’re outside so that’s OK. It’s strange this new phenomenon and I expect parents all over the country are experiencing the same. Time to brew a coffee, time to write. And I have! Two hours of glorious typing. 

But as the country wakes into a new chapter, the first phase of post-COVID, we find ourselves with different challenges, different opportunities, different expectations. There are people who are expecting and preparing for the next wave, people acting as though it never happened, others keeping a low profile and just getting on with it, some very opinionated and well versed in all aspects of the virus, and (sadly) many judging others and criticising their actions.


Masks are the new accessory (by the way I’m saving myself a ton of money on lipstick.) and children are educated in bubbles. A quick trot to the local shop has become a well thought out mission and our daily use of the English language has changed as we incorporate new phrases such as: don’t forget to social distance, two metres apart, please, put your mask on, have you completed the weekly COVID check, sanitise your hands, please, what do you sing while you handwash? I often wonder what my grandparents would have made of all this.

 

But whatever we think of these times, I do believe it is important to document this moment in history. Writing about life during the COVID Pandemic will become chapters in tomorrow’s history books. Children will study the ‘COVID Pandemic Period’ and will very probably have to answer GCSE questions or write richly researched papers for A-levels. Yes, it will be up there with the Battle of Waterloo, the Gun Powder Plot, WW2, and the birth of Shakespeare (not in chronological order).  


 

As writers, do we have the responsibility to document these times? Will you incorporate this experience into your fiction? Mourn the loss of loved-ones through poetry? Discuss the impact on social culture? Share your experiences of loneliness and isolation? Diarise the frenetic chaos of family lockdown? Record the statistics and comment on political decisions. The possibilities are endless.  

Comments

  1. This was wonderful, Nikki. From that attention grabbing first line to this delightful one 'Diarise the frenetic chaos of family lockdown?', the lovely cute photo, which I thought was a cat at first, till you mentioned the ferrets. Great title too, if only it was, but it lingers in the fog, like a villain in a detective drama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you, Martin. I'll be so glad when this villain is detained!

      Delete
  2. Very thought provoking, Nikki. I too have wondered about this though I read somewhere (on twitter? ) that agents were being overwhelmed with 'Covid novels' and were not biting because they think it's too soon. The thinking seemed to be that people won't want to be reminded about it just yet. Enjoy your peace and quiet. It is such a gift! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, maybe not to publish now but perhaps write it while it's all too fresh. I must admit is not want to read a book set during Covid times just now!!

      Delete
  3. I love that you've got ferrets. The blog was worth it just for that revelation, but there was so much more to digest. This is our first day with all three children at various educational establishments. The kitten is distressed as there is no one playing with her. Mr Ruth and I were just encouraged strongly to cuddle her and now she's curled up on the sofa watching Land Girls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet! I'm afraid the ferrets will not be happy until my son comes home from school to walk them!

      Delete
  4. I agree that the Covid crisis is an event that will be of interest as part of our history, and I have diarised the crisis, recording death statistics and people's behaviour and government reactions and all sorts of things around the crisis that have struck me as extraordinary I don't know whether it will ever find its way into a novel. I can fully understand agents disliking Covid novels. Who would want to read fiction about it? I thought that most publishers don't like taking on fiction about crises at the time they're happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely not but I surely writing while it's fresh in your mind is a good idea? Save it for publishing in a few years. Maybe ten year anniversary?

      Delete
  5. I do admire Sheila's journalling and I wish I'd thought of it - it's a bit late to start now, perhaps. As for fiction, I agree with Deborah - I'd heard that publishers don't want it. It's a bit like what happened after the 1st World War - in the immediate aftermath, no one wants to hear about it - they want escape fiction. I feel sorry for anyone who was writing a novel based in 2020. What happens there? Do they just pretend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they wait until the market is ready! I guess the big question is why are they writing it? Is it too make money and get it published right now (might not work) or do they want to capture the moment for a potential best seller in the future!! 'Please Miss, I've Lost My Bubble' might be the future!

      Delete
  6. Great post. Wish I had thought to start journaling from the beginning of the pandemic, but who would have thought it would last this long. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment