Making the Leap by Jane Walters

 I don’t know if you’ve ever been faced with having to jump over a muddy ditch, but it’s oh-so-much easier if someone is already on the other side with an arm stretched out to help you. To be honest, it’s also MUCH, much easier if there is a bridge handy, to avoid the whole leg-stretching, jeans-splattering, fear-riddled leap of faith in the first place. Assuming there is no other means of getting across, however, a friend across the bank is a friend indeed.



I don’t know what particular writerly chasm you’re facing, but I suspect we all have them. Whether it’s getting a new WIP off the ground, or finding ourselves bogged down in the middle. Maybe it’s the ending we dread, fearing the thousands of words leading up to this point may have all been in vain. And what of when the work is ready to be viewed? Do we suppose we shall fall into oblivion whilst negotiating possible rejection, criticism of any sort – to say nothing of the dripping jaws of marketing?

Our ACW local group, Brecks, Fens and Pens, have been connecting via Zoom of late. Not all of us have been able to join in, and our last meeting comprised a select few. I’m not quite sure how it happened, but we found ourselves sharing frankly about our particular writing obstacles. Saying it out loud felt like being pushed from an aircraft, but each of us were poised, hands outstretched, to make the catch. We all had different challenges we were struggling to face. All of us felt disappointed or confused by some element or other. But…all of us pledged to be there for each other.

My despondency gave way to a spark of hope as we decided to give each other some manageable targets to achieve before our next meeting. My particular difficulties centred around spreading the message of my book Too Soon. Its topic of miscarriage is niche already, not to mention that it’s faith-based to boot, and I know I haven’t done a brilliant job of spreading its message. However, armed with my step-by-step plan, I have now made phone calls, sent emails and had an online face-to-face meeting with my website designer. My “frozen in the headlights” approach to marketing and promotion has been replaced by positive, tentative progress.


I don’t doubt there will be other ditches to leap. Life tends to offer them at regular intervals, after all. But having the support of those who understand puts a spring in my step and encourages me to keep leaping. I also know they’ll be there with a blanket (and a hot chocolate?) for my mud-soaked form when it doesn’t go so well.


Jane Walters leads two ACW groups: 'Brecks, Fens and Pens' and 'Green Pastures Christian Writers.' She appears regularly on Premier Radio and UCB and facilitates writing retreats in Cumbria and Norfolk. Look for more details on www.janeclamp.com



Comments

  1. This is so true, and I have found, as you have, that drawing a couple of writing support networks closely around us, can make all the difference to our 'writing psychology'. Great post, Janey x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jane. You've given me the push (or pull!) or making contact with my local ACW group again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, I'm soooo glad to hear this! I hope that togetherness puts wind in your sails....

      Delete
  3. I love the analogies you use, Jane. It's so wonderful to be able to reach out to others although it's hard admitting we need the help. "Too Soon" is a marvellous book and it deserves to be read by a wide audience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Ruth. It means a lot x

      Delete
  4. Great post, Jane. It's so true. I told a writing friend recently that I was too scared to ring my local bookshop and see how sales of my book were doing. (Such a wimp!) (Me, not him.) Just telling him gave me the courage to do it, then that led to a visit at which I dropped off some bookmarks for the shop to distribute, and then we chatted about potential future events when restrictions ease a bit. Now I won't feel so scared about calling them again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to hear, Fran! In my case, I felt I would let my group down if I didn't get into action and it really spurred me on. Most of the time our perceived rejection simply doesn't happen!

      Delete
  5. Fantastic post, as always, Jane. Your honesty has made me take a look at my own writing life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy. You've been the other side of my ditch too many times to count....

      Delete

Post a Comment