What Inspires You? By Georgie Tennant


When I was in Year 9 at school (“the third year,” for those born a little earlier than me), I had an English teacher called Ms Griffiths. Already harbouring a deep love for the subject – writing especially – she fostered it and grew it.  She made us learn stanzas of “The Raven,” off by heart – I loved the way it sounded as it slipped from my tongue.  She made us stand on desks and recite, off by heart, the speech of Marullus from “Julius Caesar,” unable to stop herself from guffawing with us, when one of the boys declared, “You blokes, you stones, you worse than senseless things…”  When she wanted us to write creatively, her balance of challenge and encouragement was just right, and I can still remember some of her effusive, praise-filled comments on final versions of pieces I had spent painstaking hours, re-writing to perfection. She even took me to local poetry festivals, fanning my love for the genre into flame.


In short, she inspired me.  She was part of my early writing journey – someone who spotted what was within and helped draw it out. In our Local ACW Group last month (Brecks, Fens and Pens), the ever-inspiring Jane Clamp asked us all to bring something that represented inspiration for us.  I chose my exercise book from that time (Georgina Stead, Form 9JA) and spent a happy half an hour beforehand, flicking through, remembering some of the pieces I’d written so proudly, under her guiding hand.

The discussion that ensued in the group, was touching, enlightening and inspiring in itself; ‘objects’ brought ranged from motivational coasters (“We’re not messy, just really creative.”) and a motivational pen jar (“So you want to be a writer, But you don’t know how or when, Find a quiet place, Use a humble pen,” – Paul Simon), through books and ornaments, to not-quite-bringable things, like love and the wind.  As we mused about inspiration, generally, we each wrote something on the subject and shared it for…well…further inspiration.


Sometimes, in our writing lives, inspiration doesn’t strike.  Sometimes, I believe, retracing our steps back to what got us going on our writing journeys in the first place can remind us of those early days, those first flushes, our ‘raison d’etre,’ and get us inspired all over again to get up and get writing, with fresh impetus and joy.

To finish, I include, below, my own musings from our group meeting and those of our lovely ACW treasurer, Christina Clark.  We hope they inspire you  – or at least amuse!

 Christina’s…

Can’t think. Struck dumb.
Inspiration will not come!
Rotten paper! Rotten pen!
I’ve finished. Amen.” Unknown

And so, when inspiration will not come
Despite much invitation to the muse - 
My pen is still; ears deaf and mouth is dumb
And “should” the word the ushers in the blues…

…I seek to rest; to wait; to catch a thrill
Of that one thing; internal or without;
To listen to The Voice so quiet and still
Until, at last that voice becomes a shout -

And then I write!

Mine…

Feeling Positive?  Sun in the sky?
Lots of time at your disposal?
You may have stepped into a parallel universe –
So embrace it, before the portal closes –
Write!

Feeling flat?  Forecast uninspiring?
Rushing from school run to swimming run?
Sinking beneath the stacks of sandwiches, still only half made?
Take ten minutes anyway – make a cup of tea –
Write!

Feeling broken?  Storm clouds raging?
If you weren’t so British, you’d throw something, punch something?
Emotions raging?  Unleashing words feeling like a bad idea?
Grab a sturdy pen (for the furious, stabbing full-stops) and some tissues –
Write!

Feeling better?  Clouds clearing for the dawn?
Words on the page now, instead of in your muddled head?
Remind yourself of this catharsis –
And next time, instead of hesitating –
Write!


Georgina Tennant is a secondary school English teacher in a Norfolk Comprehensive.  She is married, with two sons, aged 9 and 7 who keep her exceptionally busy. She feels intimidated by having to provide an author-biography, when her writing only extends, currently, to attempting to blog, writing the ‘Thought for the Week’ for the local paper occasionally, and having a poem published in a book from a National Poetry Competition. She feels a bit more like a real author now the ACW Lent Book is out and she has a piece in it! Her musings about life can be found on her blog: www.somepoemsbygeorgie.blogspot.co.uk

Comments

  1. Great post Georgina! Writing is so cathartic whatever the mood. Important to remember this. Thank you. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Georgie - I would say more but must go and write!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do hope I shall evermore be referred to thus....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow,what a fabulous English teacher you had. She sounds like the teacher in Dead poets society. Brilliant and inspiring post too. Will try and remember your poem and Christina's when I'm struggling :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great inspiration and advice...written so poetically! (The prose bit too!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment