What, me? by Fiona Lloyd



I'm not sure this is the right way...
I've been studying the weather forecast more closely than usual this past week. By the time you read this, I'll just have got back - snow permitting - from our annual ACW committee retreat. This time away together gives us a valuable opportunity to pray and plan together, as well as providing space to relax and get to know one other better. We share what progress we're making (or not!) with our own writing projects, and hopefully come away with advice and encouragement to “keep at it”.


Writing can be a lonely business, and I've found it makes a real difference when I can engage with other writers; whether that's online or face-to-face. It’s a privilege to pick the brains of those who are much more experienced and knowledgeable than I, and I’m sure my work has improved as a result.


It can be tempting, however, to sit back and hoover up other people’s expertise without considering what we ourselves have to offer. Sometimes we dream up a list of excuses rather than reaching out to help others. What, me? I’m only just starting out! Since when did my opinion count for anything? My books are hardly in the same league as JK Rowlings’.


One of the wonderful things about being a part of God’s family is that we all have a role to play in encouraging and supporting one another. God doesn’t call us to be mega-Christians (whatever one of those is) before we can minister to others. And I’m sure we can all point to occasions when someone else has said something at exactly the right moment, or has done something that has a dramatic impact on our spiritual life. Often it can be a small action or a seemingly innocuous comment that makes all the difference.


Encouragement comes in many forms...
As Christians who write, we can choose to take an active role in encouraging other writers, whatever our previous experience (or lack of it.) Taking time to read someone else’s work, writing a book review, commenting on a blog post (and no, that isn’t meant to be an elephant-sized hint) are all things we can do to support one another.  Maybe we could join a new writing group, or respond positively to a prayer request from a fellow writer.


So, as we settle into the rhythm of a new year, let’s ask God to show us ways in which we can encourage and build each other up, so that – as a writing community – we can bless other people and shine His light into our world.



Fiona Lloyd works part-time as a music teacher, and serves on the worship leading team at her local church. She enjoys writing short stories, and is working on her first novel. Fiona self-published a violin tutor book in 2013, and blogs at www.fjlloyd.wordpress.com. She is married with three grown-up children. Fiona is ACW's membership secretary.





Comments

  1. Great post! I totally agree. I have been encouraged by ACW so much. If you are a writer who is not a member and you are reading this do consider joining as a member of ACW. And I have had some great encouragement.

    Thanks Fiona.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. We all, I guess, have our moments of feeling we might just as well throw in the towel. Happily it is often someone else's words that keep us going. Thanks, Fiona.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so close to my heart Fiona. Love this post. Encouragement costs little, can have a huge impact, warms us up as well as others and can be the difference between someone feeling positive or negative about their day. Some were brought up in households where that just didn't happen and maybe find this harder than others. So we should encourage not expecting anything in return, although we often do get to see the positive effects of our efforts. And you are one of the greatest encouragers I know! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen to that. We often forget the impact of a few words of encouragement until it happens to us. Thank you for the reminder, Fiona - and I echo Deborah's observation that you are one of the best encouragers. Bless you for sharing your gift and teaching us to polish up our own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said, Fiona! Having received little of it myself in childhood, encouragement is something close to my heart and I vowed to make it a gift when engaging with others in later life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so important, isn't it? And I love the fact that it's something we can all do. xx

      Delete
  6. Deborah Jenkins once brought me round a cheesecake when I was going through a hard time. So I enjoyed your picture. She has a special cheesecake-encouragement ministry and if any of you are considering a move to a new area, I could let you know her address.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cheesecake-encouragement ministry is very important - isn't it mentioned in 1 Corinthians 17? xx

      Delete
  7. Very well said Fiona. I agree with everything you say. I would also like to thank you for all the encouragement you give me. It is a pleasure and an honoured to serve on the ACW Committee with you

    ReplyDelete
  8. :-) Good stuff, Fiona! And the cheesecake looks lovely too ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, cheesecake...I'm starting to feel peckish! Thanks for reading.

      Delete

Post a Comment