New Year New Adventure by Tania Vaughan

It's the first work day of a brand new year, 12 months of possibilities spread out in front of us. We can choose to plod into the new year dragging the worries and work of last year with us or jump into a brand new adventure. <<< Tweet This

A new adventure doesn't have to mean doing all new things but it does require a whole new attitude. I will be continuing much of what I was doing last year, working on a book, continuing a ministry and studying theology but as I step into this new year I am doing it with a new plan.

We are 'more than writer's which means we often juggle many different jobs and roles which can tug and pull at our time. My jobs are all equally important, although deadlines differ so prioritising can be hard.

I've always been organised but in a controlling kind of way. Although it makes me task driven it can also be a bit unhealthy. Any control freaks out there know what I'm talking about?

Last year my 'One Word' was 'Release'. I can look back and see I released my need to control which is great, but (there's always a but!) I have found less control has meant less production, as I wrote about last month. My battle now is working out how can I write, organise, plan and produce without getting all task orientated and control freakish over it?

There is a way of being task orientated without it becoming a control issue and this has driven my One Word for 2016 'Intentional'. This year I want to be intentional about what I write and when I write. I am intentionally setting aside certain days of the week to write, to study and to concentrate on some of the other jobs I'm juggling. I'm setting aside days in the month for rest, prayer and planning. These are the things that end up getting pushed aside until exhaustion hits mid year.

I already work like this with meal planning and chores and am enlarging the same idea to incorporate everything I do. I recently split my website and ministry in two and set up a business to help individuals with tech and design. All of a sudden I was managing three websites and Facebook profiles before I even start to write anything or study!

I'm hoping that allocating my time intentionally will keep everything running smoothly without giving me the meltdown that comes with the need to control. I'll keep you updated on whether or not it works. In the meantime I got lots of wonderful stationary for Christmas which will help me as I step into this new adventure.

What's your adventure for 2016? Do you have One Word for this new year?


Tania Vaughan is a speaker and writer who started Let's Talk About Ministries at www.liveloveshare.com after writing her book "Let's Talk About Sex and Relationships - A Bible study for single women".

Through Bible teaching and devotionals Tania seeks to encourage every woman to claim the full life that Jesus came to give them.  www.taniavaughan.com

A new venture uses her design and admin skills to help and support individuals with websites, social media, on-line presence and marketing design www.hartandesign.com

Comments

  1. All the very best for 2016 and your new venture Tania

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before coming over to catch up on the More than Writers' Blog, I have just written and scheduled my post about my "one word". It is coming out on Saturday 9 Jan. And (apart from some friends at Church and one or two others) I am keeping it quiet until then! It is the first time I have joined in with this.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to the reveal on Saturday Sue :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Tania,
    Last year, I had the word Intentional, too. It worked really well for the first part of the year, but sadly by the year end I was still feeling that life was being thrown at me! I hope and pray you get better results!
    God bless you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane and for you I pray that this year life is more gentle with you :)

      Delete
  4. I love the idea of having one word to keep oneself on track. I'm going to think about this for a day or two before making a choice. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the 3rd year I've done it and I love it - even when I forget the word in the middle of the year sometimes when I reflect back I can see how that word has kept popping up. Do take a look at the One Word 365 website :)

      Delete
  5. Fortitude will be my word. I am so diffident about promoting my writing. Going to try to be braver!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment