Thinking Outside The Box by Julie Prentice



I sat reflecting over the meeting I had been a guest speaker at, they had really laughed at the ice- breaker, let me share:-
 
Imagine you are driving down the road in your car on a wild, stormy night when you pass by a bus stop and see three people waiting for the bus;
1. An old lady in a life threatening position
2. An old friend who once saved your life
3. The partner of your dreams.

You have a two seater car so who would you offer a lift to?
This is a moral/ethical dilemma once used as part of a job application
The person who was hired had no trouble coming up with the answer,

 'I would give the car keys to my old friend to take the old lady to the hospital so that I could stay behind and wait for the bus with the partner of my dreams.'

Sometimes we gain more if we are able to give up our thought limitations and think 'outside the box'

As a Christian I believe sometimes God wants to challenge us on this.

I remember when my son went off to University, we took him house hunting as the campus was full. He ended up sharing house with some nice guys, but one was a Muslim and I am ashamed to say this worried me. I had so wanted Son to become a Christian before he went to University, but my prayer had not been answered and so as a last ditch I put an Alpha booklet in his travel bag and simply said if he ever feel he needed help there was a prayer in the back of the book.
To my surprise one morning Son phoned me and said he had been thinking about things and felt he needed to pray the prayer in the book.
I was elated and after a lengthy chat I discovered this Muslim friend had certainly influenced Son’s decision to become a Christian and he has been ever since!

Then there is daughter, with her strong faith although she had many  friends night clubs did not appeal and with church friends moving onto pastures new she decided to try on-line dating; like many young girls she wanted a boyfriend. I think some of her friends disapproved, especially the church ones. However on Valentine’s Day she got chatting with a young man who after a few weeks she decided she would like to go on a date with. I was very apprehensive, but the day he turned up at our house (my insistence) funnily enough I found myself reading an old journal where I had been praying for a nice boyfriend for my daughter! I immediately felt my Spirit rise and say,
 'Why when you have answered prayer are you still not happy?'
 
Good point as over two years on, they are still going strong!

Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding.                    
 Proverbs 3:5








Other inspirations can be read in ‘On Earth as it is in Heaven’ by Julie Prentice £8.99.                                                                                  Web: www.jewelsofheaven.blogspot.co.uk 
Follow us on twitter JulieJules07 on face book page Beauty & Belief

Comments

  1. What a great insight, and way to live life. I agree we are often fettered by convention rather than allowing Gid to take control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy for your encouragement. I agree sometimes what doesn't seem right is right from God

      Delete
  2. What great testimonies...A very encouraging post to read first thing in the morning and a challenge to think outside the box today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah, glad it inspired you and challenged you. Sometimes God does that. Have a great day

      Delete
  3. Well said, Julie! Must admit I wouldn't have got the job because I didn't come up with the right answer, but I am always interested in thinking outside the box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Mel. I didn't get it right either, glad I wasn't at that job interview but glad you enjoyed reading it.

      Delete

Post a Comment