When you lose your confidence... by Liz Carter


Being a writer can be a bit like being on a rollercoaster at times, can't it. There are highs where we celebrate book deals and great reviews, and lows where everything seems like one great big slump. There are times we ride the writing wave and stride forward with confidence and assurance that we are doing pretty okay, that others like to read our stuff, that we can legitimately say that we are authors. And then there are times the wave crashes over us instead, leaving us dazed and bewildered.

The thing about writing is that it is inextricably bound up with our emotions, and so our circumstances to a large extent tend to dictate where we are with our writing. For some of us, the pandemic has been a time where we've struggled to write, and for others it's been a rich time resulting in a whole load of new inspiration and material. The fact is that we all respond differently to external factors, and there are times in our lives where we seem to lose confidence altogether.

I've had a pretty shocking year, with one thing and another - ill health, bereavement, lots of layers of other stuff that has sapped away my mojo and sucked away my confidence in writing. Lately as a result of this I've been suffering with a bout of comparisonitis - you know the one, don't you? You look at everyone else and think they are so much better at writing, far more productive, much more out there on social media. You look back on times when you were a bit like that, and can't imagine how you ever could be again, because your courage has leaked. You start to believe you have nothing to offer: you enter competitions and hear nothing, you submit to agents and hear nothing, you don't get asked to contribute to projects or blogs. Basically, everything becomes a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy as the more you hide away in the corner, the less these things happen anyway, and so re-iterate your narrative. It's not great, is it? But I want to be honest about it today, and take off my mask: sometimes, life throws curveballs, and you spiral into dark places, and, because your writing is so connected to the deep places of you, that gets thrown into the air too. And then your confidence takes a hit, and so on. I wonder if anyone today is feeling this way? Please do join in on the comments. I really believe that, as well as celebrating with one another when things go well, we need to authentically connect with one another when times are tough and when writing doesn't come so easily.

I had a little panic over it all the other day when I realised I'd not sent out a newsletter, updated my blog or even my author page in months. I wondered if this would mean I'd lost all the work I put into it all, and had to start again, and this made me feel even worse, alongside the comparisons I was putting far too much time and energy into cultivating. I realised then that something had to change. What really helped me - and set me on a new path, actually, was Ruth Leigh's post from a few days back. Ruth was really honest about how we as writers tend to present ourselves in our bios, versus what we should really write. 'I hate the idea of other writers reading what I write on social media and thinking, “It’s all very well for her” or similar', she wrote. I found this so refreshing to read - do check it out. After reading this and pondering on it for a while, I realised that we're all struggling, in our different ways, and that it's ok to have times where we break a little bit and to admit to that. It's ok to leave our socials aside and concentrate on just getting through the day. It's ok to be real about losing confidence.

So what can we do when this happens? I guess it's one of those questions that doesn't have answers that will work for everyone, because we are all so gloriously different. For me, it's about letting myself off and taking time to be - to be with God, and others, and also to intentionally celebrate other people's work, rather than waste time slipping into useless comparison. This is so much more liberating for the soul. This week, I'm celebrating with Amy Boucher Pye as she launches her wonderful new book, 7 Ways to Pray. This has been a book that has touched me and brought me hope in the midst of a dark year, and I'll be blogging for Amy soon with some thoughts about the area. Meanwhile, go buy it - you won't regret it.

It's amazing, isn't it, that celebrating can lift you out of despondency. It's one of the reasons I'm so grateful for ACW - there is always so much to celebrate, so much richness in writing. And I love the ethos of honesty about difficulty, too - let's keep sharing together when we're hurting. I've been a bit quiet lately, but I know for me that reaching out can transform things.

I've also found again and again over the years that going to God with our struggle is the best thing we can do (Amy's book has helped me with that, too!) God knows what we are going through and understands our hurting and our leaky confidence. I always go back to the Psalms of lament, where the writers pour out their sadness, anger and frustration, and then they say, 'And yet. Yet I will praise.' That is such a tiny phrase, but packed with a great big load of power. I'm always learning to yet praise, and I'm deciding to do that, once again, today.

How about you?

What do you do when your confidence is low and comparisonitis takes root? Do you curl up and hide, or do you get out there and keep powering through? What strategies work for you? I'd love to hear.


Liz Carter is an author, poet and editor from Shropshire. She loves to write about the difficult and painful times in life, and how we can find gold in the mess. Her books Catching Contentment and Treasure in Dark Places are available in online bookstores, and she may have some book news to share soon. You can find her at www.greatadventure.carterclan.me.uk 

Comments

  1. Thank you for this, Liz. I liked your allusion to the times when the wave crashes over us, leaving us dazed and bewildered. I'm having a tough time at the moment. My husband has several debilitating medical problems, including myeloma, a cancer of the bone marrow, which will never go away completely, and an extremely painful arthritic knee, which limits his mobility. I feel sad inside all the time, yet with God's presence I manage to remain cheerful and kind. I almost lost the will to write earlier this year. I couldn't think of interesting plots, and I was fed up because agents weren't interested in my books for children. When my writing group needed a piece of writing, I found something I'd written a long time ago, and used that. My husband inspires me with his inner strength and fortitude, and I feel we are both learning so much about trusting God through suffering. I have recently started to write creatively again, and I am grateful for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Veronica. I'm so sorry you're facing such tough times, with your husband suffering so much. It can be so hard to see God in those circumstances, can't it, and yet, as you say, his presence still upholds us. Completely understand about losing the will and the whole trying to get an agent thing - I'm in that stage with my fiction book and it's brutal - the waiting, the hearing nothing, the form rejections. So glad to hear you're getting your creative mojo back again :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, Liz - thank you! Really spoke to me. I froze during lockdown, and when life began to move forward, I hit the rocks of comparisonitis! I've been feeling too old, too out of touch, too incompetent with the technology... You are so right: it was time to get right back to God and quiet down and spend time with Him! Hopefully I've got some new ideas and a new vision twinkling on the horizon! We shall see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dorothy, thank you. That comparison is so easy to fall into, and it can be hard to climb out. I'm certain God will be sparking ideas in you and strengthening you to keep on keeping on. x

      Delete
  3. So honest and encouraging, Liz. Thanks for your beautiful words x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do think social media bears so much responsibility for this rollercoaster you're describing. One tweet with a recommendation for my work - ECSTASY! WHY DID I EVER DOUBT? The next day, Facebook is full of someone else's success, even if I'm pleased for them - SLOUGH OF DESPAIR! WHY DID I EVER THINK I COULD WRITE? Or maybe it's not social media that's to blame, but the way I let it influence me. What is it Paul wrote to the Romans? Something about 'having a sober assessment of yourself' or a 'sober judgement' and I think this the way to go. A bit of moderation and calm, not the extreme reactions. Which gland produces adrenaline? Whichever it is, mine must be worn out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh yes, relate relate relate to this so much! And I love the Romans quote - such a good reminder. Moderation and calm...harder to do when faced with those lows (and highs), but a good thing to aim for.

      Delete
  5. Hey Liz, this is such an honest and vulnerable blog, which is my kind of love it. I thought your poem that you read in the ACW poetry group recently was amazing. It was so good that I had a little bit of comparisonitis. I tend to be an optimist, so always push on through the negative events (there have been many), but reading posts such as this, help immensely. Thank you for your honesty and for being brave enough to share this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks, Brendan. You see I was feeling so slumped that day, and used a poem I'd written last year, so felt rubbish in comparison with the others! We're all our own worst enemies, aren't we!

      Delete
  6. Thanks to you, my new vocabulary word is “comparitonitis.” It’s so easy to come down with this malady. While I love to write, I’m rubbish as promoting my books and it took ages of reading that others were selling on Amazon before i even tried that avenue. Seems to be a fine line between being inspired by someone and comparing. Thank you for this blogpost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathleen. You're so right about that fine line.

      Delete
  7. I am so touched and encouraged, Liz, by your words. I felt such a nudge to write the blog I did and you did come into my mind as I wrote. God is so good. I suffer terribly from comparisonitis (everyone is doing everything better than me) and this is such a timely reminder. And I see you, always, as a massively talented, gracious successful person. I've said it before, but many of the elements of my online book launch were based on yours. Confetti on the light fittings anyone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh bless you, Ruth. It's so lovely that we can be honest here. I always see you as so talented and successful, and full of grace and wit as well! And oh yes to that confetti cannon, it went everywhere!

      Delete
    2. We are still finding bits of confetti even now! Great idea though. Also the teacups full of champers. That was genius.

      Delete
  8. Thank you Liz.

    I recently went through the 'comparisonitis' - I could not read any books because reading other people's work, including my fav authors, just made me feel even worse about my own. Social media - how do people find the time and energy to do blogging, tweets, newsletters AND write?

    Thankfully I am fortunate to belong to a very supportive writers group who helped me through it. As for the self-promotion (which like Kathleen, I am rubbish at), I am sure at some point I will find the energy and enthusiasm to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do identify with this - sometimes when I'm reading I just get depressed because I think I can never be as good. We really do tie ourselves in knots don't we!

      Delete
  9. Hi Liz, I agree with Ruth, you are a massively successful writer. I've so enjoyed both of your books. I had a real dip after my book, Waireka, was published. Well, it was great at first, I was on a roll with sales, then due to a publisher, which basically sat back and did nothing so that sales etc dropped, I felt really dissolutioned and thought I would never write another book. I decided to do a certificate course at my local university during lockdown to help build my confidence, and it did. However, now that it's over there is a temptation to give up again. But I've gone back to poetry and am studying a mini course at the moment and Wendy's book, Creativity Matters, has now given me the confidence to thing I could even write another book...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sheila. You should totally go for that next book! And well done on the courses. It takes some guts to get out there and do things like that. And yay to the poetry too!

      Delete
  10. I find that when a wave crashes over me, of 'that writer is more successful, more loved, more noticed, more beautiful, much younger, more energetic... than me' it may be helpful to bless them instead of feeling envy, and then move on, and remember how excited I am by my own novel, (which I am editing at the moment): to get back to it, and become absorbed again in those characters and all their troubles and challenges and relationships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes absolutely to this! Blessing rather than comparing - it's such a reflection of God's upside down kingdom and it transforms us, and others.so glad you're enjoying editing your novel, it's an exciting stage.

      Delete
  11. Hi Liz! I've read your piece and those dark places you described in the post can crush one's spirit; I can well imagine. I just want to assure you of the love of your Saviour, Redeemer and the Author of your faith. Equally important, you must take a day at a time.I sometimes let my blog, writings, etc go an a long holday and do not feel guilty.It is not the end of the world. God will make a way for you, even where there is no way - even in a desert!
    As they say it in Nigeria, ' stay on your lane;there is no competition! You serve a very big big God!!'
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophia! You have it exactly with that wonderful saying from Nigeria. I think I will print it out and stick it over my computer! Stay on our lane - that's the path God has for us, and we don't have to go and cross other people's lanes. Love it. Thank you for your lovely words.

      Delete
  12. Liz, your words connect with me and with others. I so value you above all, but your voice as well. You have a way of mining those treasures in dark places, and then you graciously share your finds with us. Thank you for your grace-filled words about my new book. I'm filled with gratitude that God would use it in your journey with him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous, honest post Liz! Resonated so much. Thank you! (I also think your writing is amazing and much needed in the world 😘)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Georgie, thank you! That's so kind. I always think the same about your poetry and writing. Xx

      Delete
  14. Liz, I have chronic comparisonitis. There's a more traditional name for it: envy, and it's one of the seven deadly sins. I tend to think of it more as a sickness, because it does more damage to ourselves than to others, and in any case the line between sin and sickness is a fine one, as Isaiah 53 demonstrates. Envy is the besetting weakness of those who are, I think it's Type 4, on the Enneagram, the romantic or idealist. I have to go back to an experience I had when I went to my first college reunion and met up with a friend I hadn't kept up with. 24 years on from graduating, she was slim, tanned, and didn't look a day older. Added to that she had two jobs, as a law lecturer and a nutritionist, and a house in France -- and both her children were grown up and had first class degrees. My envy was off the top of the scale! A couple of years later, I went to another reunion and saw her again, but she seemed somehow older and less full of vitality. It came out in the course of the evening that recently her daughter, soon after graduating, had been killed in a car crash. I vowed then and there never to envy anyone again -- we never know what is coming in their lives. I haven't kept the vow very well, of course, but it's always a salutary reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read this comments with interest. There are certainly times when I feel very down if all over FB people are jumping about and congratulating one another, and one time, a few months into recovery, I wrote a comment about someone's blog and received criticism for being negative - as if, in the depression which comes after serious illness and when one's life seems to've been taken away, it is 'wrong' and upsets others, to point out that not all of us are young, fit, and dancing a happy dance. And maybe the author of that post had sad things she chose to hide - but she had felt she must not be negative, as a Christian? So I am glad someone has tackled this subject. I'd go further and say that, in my opinion, being able to cope with the 'honesty' of others when they are depressed and maybe ill or grieving or just too put about with raising children or caring for elderly parents or whatever it is, to write, we should remember at any time we celebrate anything, there'll be those who can't. And having said that, how brave of Liz (and Ruth) to approach the subject, in this surrounding world of 'influencers'. As Ecclesiastes says, there is a time to mourn and a time to dance! (By the way, I am celebrating inwardly to've completed a first draft - but I am also exhausted and having to sort out my computer, let alone author bios and what-not, so happy dance, but also wishing for the energy of youth, which has gone!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful post, Liz and I love all the empathetic comments too. I've found it encouraging because it is so real and I was beginning to feel like a duck out of water here. Thank you. Blessings to ll of you talented, persevering, tenacious writers. x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment