A Beautiful and Messy Story






In the large Lincolnshire village of Nettleham, close to where I live, there is a majestic church that has stood sentinel over the community for 800 years. The church is splendid and full of history both dreadful and delightful yet despite its charm and beauty (and I urge you to visit it if you ever get the chance) it is wandering through the graveyard that gives me the most pleasure. I know that makes me sound a bit weird and before you start removing me from your Facebook family or Twitter group, let me explain. 


Rather than hang out in graveyards on a dark and stormy night, I prefer a bright, dry day complete with the melodies of blackbirds and the gravelly jackdaw voices that call grumpily to each other from the balls of dried twigs and grass they call home. As I walk among the stones, there is solemnness and peace almost tangible as a mark of respect for each life that spent time in our world. Most walked the earth for many years, some only a few but each person has left a footprint. Some footprints are deep and strong and people will remember them for many years or even decades and others are very faint, with the softest outline. But despite the tread, everyone has left a presence; a story. 



I love to stop at the gravestones and read the names, work out their ages, imagine what the world was like during their lifetime, and discover little clues about them from the tiniest epitaph and even from the state of the stone. Perhaps their loved ones still live and lovingly tidy the space around the stone, collect the curled, dried rose petals, and clean away the nettles that cheekily push their way through the soil.  Maybe others have joined them in the afterlife and their stones sit embraced by ivy and inhabited by earwigs. I am fascinated by all these beautiful people and their messy lives. Beautiful because that’s how God made us. He made us all in His own image and he actually calls us His masterpiece… For we are God’s masterpiece…Ephesians 2:10. Messy, because that’s how we all are and, I believe, what makes our stories so wonderful. We mess up, we need God, He helps us through one way or another and we share our stories of life. 


Another reason I love graveyards is that though many believe graveyards are for the dead, there is so much life. Birds sing, children’s voices are heard from the nearby playground, dogs sniff about, blossom falls, grass grows, buttercups flourish and the presence of the past lives on. Death is defeated. Life is abundant. Everyone leaves behind a story, albeit and beautiful and messy one. 


Comments

  1. I'm with you on this one, Nikki. I love walking through graveyards and reading the stories on the headstones. I watched Paul Merton's Who Do You Think You Are? yesterday on iPlayer and the story of his grandfather was very moving. He had no gravestone and it was touching to see the way Paul wanted him to have one. I love the way you use language in this lovely piece - so strong and evocative

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth. Im glad its not just me! I was thinking of taking my class to visit the graveyard and talk about the people and what their lives might have been like. Im not sure the parents would be impressed!!!

      Delete
    2. It's a wonderful historical and social resource

      Delete
  2. I’m with you when it comes to Graveyard's, Nikki. I love wandering round them and, like you, take note of names.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The back of our house overlooks a Victorian graveyard and, although that might seem sombre as a view, it also means there are big trees to look at and chart the seasons. When I have the grandchildren here, they like to wander the graveyard, read the epitaphs, and ask questions about the people who died. They are particularly fascinated by an area of it dedicated to tiny children. That tells a story of itself - a very sad one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember your graveyard. It helped me to write a sticky piece I was struggling with

      Delete
  4. Thanks. You made me think. I looked up Ephesians verse 10, and the NIV says, 'For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.' The Good News Bible translates the verse as follows. 'God has made us what we are , and in our union with Christ Jesus he has created us for a life of good deeds, which he has already prepared for us to do.' These words of encouragement are Paul's, written to the Ephesians. i don't agree that he's saying we are God's masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Veronica, I agree with you - though many ministers and vicars use this phrase/word nowadays, so it has become popular. It does however give the impression of 'man the measure of all things' doesn't it. In midst of work can't look up Genesis now - but am not certain that that passage underlines the assumption.

      Delete
    2. Interesting but I think God is pretty pleased with his creation. Psalm 139. x

      Delete
  5. I love graveyards too. SO many stories to imagine, behind a few words engraved on a stone. I love the way you brought out the way graveyards can help us celebrate life in all it's complexity. The Passion Translation suggests that the word 'handiwork' in Eph 2: 10 can also be translated as 'poetry'. I love this idea - that each of our lives is a poem that He is writing, each one that will speak out to the world we are born into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lovely idea, Joy. Thank you for sharing. Just imagine how many of these poems we will hear in Heaven.

      Delete
  6. I love the way you write, Nikki. It's so evocative. This line I adored 'complete with the melodies of blackbirds and the gravelly jackdaw voices that call grumpily to each other from the balls of dried twigs and grass they call home.' I found your line about footprints moving too. Wonderful x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks, Martin. It makes me happy that you enjoy my writing! Nx

      Delete
  7. Graveyards are favourite places to wander, for me too. So much to think about, as you say: snippets of lives lived, comments about how they are remembered, reminders of our own mortality. These can combine to inspire me to get on with living, and writing, my own story wholeheartedly, while I have the opportunity to do so. Lovely, reflective post, Nikki :) x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment