Hobbits, Ham, and Human Drama: the Blessing of Storytelling


I’ve been listening to Andy Serkis’s #Hobbitathon, a live stream charity reading of the The Hobbit https://www.gofundme.com/f/thehobbitathoncovid19appeal. He’s spontaneously inventing accents and voices and song tunes. It’s unrehearsed and unedited, with the actor stumbling over sentences and sometimes losing his place. It’s no audiobook but it’s glorious.

There’s something so magical about having a story read to you, isn’t there?

I think back to primary school, sat on the floor in the corner of the classroom for Little Grey Rabbit or Charlie and The Great Glass Elevator - favourites for both children and teachers.

How I loved to read to my own children. I can still quote the rhyming books – Hairy McClary, My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes, and of course Dr Seuss. Visiting Seuss Landing at Universal’s Islands of Adventure, my boys were unimpressed by the novelty of a green eggs and ham roll as they were so used to ours! I look back and wonder if these books seeded my younger son’s talent for song writing.

The Harry Potter saga were the final bedtime stories I read to my older son. He admitted afterwards that he had been secretly reading ahead on his own but didn’t want to spoil the shared experience.

Storytelling does that: builds bonds between teller and listeners.

I think of the stories I have read to my Boys’ Brigade lads: learning to read fluently upside down so they could see the illustrations of The Jesse Tree; energetic games of the repetitious Story Gym; their immediate engagement with The Pilgrim’s Progress, a theme for other activities.


Perhaps storytelling is more meaningful when it’s personal to the teller and that comes over to the reader? Who better than Serkis to read Tolkien’s tale?

One of my bugbears about church services is Bible readings. Emphasis has rightly been put on clarity of words and diction but so often, sadly, at the expense of meaning and drama. It’s as if we feel these words are so holy that we forget these are stories we’re sharing, or personal letters, or poetry. At its worst, it’s like a schoolchild being forced to read Shakespeare for the first time with no understanding.

But at its best, we remember that this is God writing to and for us. It is personal.

We remember that these were real people with real human feelings and behaviours: devious David, depressed Elijah, faithful Ruth, knock-kneed Gideon. We hear the paternal call of Paul for the churches to mature in their faith. We share the heart-deep despair and jubilation of the Psalmist.

During lockdown, I’m not one of those people with extra time to develop new or existing skills. I’m working exhausting hours for my hospice patients, struggling to find the energy (let alone the time) to write. But I remind myself that we can all spend time reading and listening and maybe even practising out own story telling skills.

And our Great Storyteller will keep writing and editing His tale in us.

Liz Manning fits writing around being an Occupational Therapist, BB captain, wife, and mum to two adult sons. Or perhaps it's the other way round. She blogs regularly at https://thestufflifeismadeofblog.wordpress.com/ 


Comments

  1. Now there's a great title for a blog, Liz! I was hooked from the start. I hadn't heard about the Hobbitathon but will fire it up. My middle child is ploughing through Lord of the Rings at the moment and we often chat about it. I don't read aloud to them any more (too old) but we too had great favourites. Suddenly, Who's in the Loo, the Katie stories and so many more. Some of my happiest memories of primary school are story time. Mrs Frisby and the Rats of Nimh was a favourite. I loved reading this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth - I am going to have to look up those children's books now!

      Delete
  2. Story reading is wonderful, our kids loved it. Imagine reading aloud to twins (our family's child 2 & 3) who are boy/girl, once each has own room, you can end up sitting on the landing between the 2, because they argue too much about who will sit in the other's room - both want to be read to in bed! My husband is better at reading aloud than me, (does great voices!) and did the majority - and with our daughter she kept him at it until she was about 13, so was getting into books like Jane Austen's Emma! All had the Lord of the Rings read aloud - can't remember the age - top of primary school I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I can so picture you or your husband on the landing doing that - democracy and dedication in action! Sounds like it was a real success though.

      Delete
  3. I love reading aloud too. My Dad was a great reader and I still remember him sitting us all down on a Sunday afternoon for Winne-the-Pooh. Currently I am reading the Emma Dodd books to a three year old by video link. I managed to get through Wish.... without crying on the last page!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tish! My other storytelling memories from my childhood are of my parents reading to me when I was ill (and I had tonsillitis a lot) but particularly when I went down with scarletina on holiday, with my dad getting me interested in non fiction - birdwatching in particular. And I still love to go read through those, especially figuring out a new variety with someone else, like the Little Egrets we saw in Cornwall for the first time last year.

      Delete
  4. I agree with you. I often think, when Bible passages are read out at church, that we could do the storytelling so much more justice by involving different voices for the dialogue, or using objects to help people visualise the events. There's no need to treat the stories as mere reporting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or just for the readers to remember these are real people speaking or being described, to think beforehand about what are the emotions behind the words - fear, anger, surprise, comedy - and read it accordingly. Could be a bit awkward with the Song of Solomon though!

      Delete
  5. What a fab post, Liz, thank you. Both of my children still love being read to (14 and 12 years) and my son has just been told he has to read The Hunger Games. He hates being told what to read so we're reading it together and we're both enjoying it! We're also reading Eve Garnett's Holiday at the Dew Drop Inn which is a very old fashioned book (published 1958 - or about then). It's far slower and very descriptive compared to many children's books today but we both love it. Story reading is so important for children at any age, it's a shame that many parents think that once a child can read they don't need to be read to any more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment