Early signs


There were early signs that my life and career would revolve around having a pen in my hand. 

I emerged from the womb saying, 'I wandered lonely as a  

I arrived at Coten End Junior School in Warwick when I was eight years old. I'd lived in Singapore with my mum, dad and sisters for two years in a suburb of the city set aside for British military families. We arrived back in England in 1970.

So I landed at Coten End mid-term, my hair scissored so close to my head because of the equatorial heat of Singapore that when the teacher announced to the class, 'This is your new classmate, called Frances' all the boys cheered, thinking another male had been added to their number. When the penny dropped, I got a cheer from the girls instead, but more muted, as they peered at me doubtfully. 

It was an awkward start. 

However, I redeemed myself that day when the class realised I could do 'double writing' - cursive script I had learned in Singapore. They were all still 'printing' in large rounded letters, and they crowded round my desk, oohing and aahing, while I demonstrated my skill. 

The next talent with which I surprised them was my ability to spell 'diarrhoea' and 'soliloquy'. I don't know why I remember these two words in particular but I can see myself now, taking the chalk from the teacher's hands and scrawling them on the board. She would then toss other words at me such as 'accommodation' or 'necessarily' or 'pharaoh' and I would perform my party trick.

I don't know why some people are natural spellers but I've always been one. Ask me to do long division, however, or name all the continents, or sew a decent hem, and I will sorely disappoint.  

I think what impressed my classmates most, however, was my mirror-writing ability. Some of them had never had ambitions to spell 'diarrhoea' anyway but all of them wanted to learn to mirror-write once I'd covered the board in backwards-script one playtime. 

I can still do it. And I hardly have to think about it. Let me grab my mini-whiteboard. 








I nearly broke my neck on the stairs taking this. 



Okay, so I can spell 'diarrhoea' and write backwards. It's not something I'd win prizes for. But NOW I've got myself wondering whether I can write backwards in cursive script. 

Wait there. Don't go away! 

Just finding the whiteboard pen again .....

And here goes. 





Not too shabby an attempt. But not perfect. 

The other people I impressed at my junior school were the dinner ladies and this was with my limerick-writing. I would make up limericks for them in exchange for extra helpings of sponge pudding and custard or jam roly poly. 

This kind of guff ....

A lady who served children pud
would do it as well as she could
but one day for custard
did substitute mustard
which obviously did them no good.

Shakespeare can rest comfortable in his grave, but I do believe this was the beginning of my career as a writer, as well as kick-starting a long struggle with pudding-addiction. 

What were the early signs for you that you would be a writer some day? Tell me and others in the comments below. 

And, no, whoever shouted from the back. I can't say limericks backwards. Honestly! So demanding! 






Fran is a writer and teacher living in Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, and her new book 'Miss, What Does Incomprehensible Mean?' is being released later this month by SPCK Publishing. It's a funny and life-affirming memoir of a year in a teacher's life, has not been written backwards, and is available for £7.99 from SPCK . Most major bookshops are also listing it. You can find out more about the book, about Fran or about her other writing by visiting her website right here












Comments

  1. Wonderful break from the you-know-what subject, and very funny - keep it up Fran, humour is always good! Now, my early 'writing' was drawing - lots of stories but in visual form, (no words) and/or told to poor long suffering Mum as we walked to the shops! Soap operas! Didn't write, beyond School Mag stuff, till I was a 'grown-up'. On backwards writing, try learning Hebrew! Written and read right to left...Huge fun and there is indeed a 'cursive script' (not exactly joined-up, but the equivalent) and I used to be able to write it (rusty now).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Clare, for reading, and I'm glad it provided light relief from you-know-what. If it's all right with you, I'll pass on learning Hebrew, unless they announce another year of lock down, in which case, I might consider it ;)

      Delete
  2. Gosh I learned so many new things about you from this post! I think the joined up backwards writing is genius! I have a similar skill but with names. In fact we have a whole set of alternative family names because of my constant tendency to reverse them for added interest. Evets, Wehttam and Annayllop never seemed to mind. Fabulous post, Nraf. Love Harobed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Narf not Nraf. I'm clearly a bit rusty!

      Delete
    2. I know! I'd forgotten all those things too until I reminded myself *panics in case this is a sign that the end is nigh* That's so clever of you, having a family who are all named something equally as interesting backwards as forwards. Mine would be Haras (!), Rehpotsirhc and .... ta dah! .... Anna! Actually, that's given me an idea for a blog post. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Well, Nraf, that was a splendid read! So many talents I knew nothing of and very funny too. Thank you! Evol htuR

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm mind-boggled! I have been trying to work out what your backwards-writing ability says about your brain. To me it's almost as mysterious as being a maths prodigy. I wrote stories as soon as I could, in exercise books, also filled with my illustrations. I was inspired by Enid Blyton. I also wrote funny poems. I still have them, in my juvenilia files.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am envious - I burned all my teenage poems when I became a Christian, thinking they were pagan and unacceptable. Where I got that idea, I do not know. But I sorely regret it. I would love to see what I was writing then. As for my brain, please don't think too hard about this - I can't bear to think what the conclusions might be!!

      Delete
  5. Many years ago I discovered a bit of a treasure: a school 'news' exercise book from when I was six and seven. It had stories in it as well as my infant take on 'news' which revealed the narrow but intense life of a child. I also could do those funny things like writing backwards and it is encouraging to find someone equally odd (meant positively, of course.) More than sixty years may have gone by, but I am still making things up and still odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We must form a club for the odd-meant-positively! That sounds such a find, coming across an infant school exercise book.

      Delete
  6. I started making up stories before I could write. My Dad read to me before bed, and I just carried on with the stories after he finished. Of course, they weren't very good stories. A bit boring, even to me. Then I discovered the essential ingredient of all good stories - conflict. Or, as I thought of it at the time, Something Has To Go Wrong.

    I never looked back. Especially after I went to school and actually learned to write. I never looked up much either, being too busy reading or writing to care what else was going on in the class. You would have found me a most annoying pupil, Fran. Asked to write a short story in one lesson, I would spend the next week or so on a vast proto-novel, a sort of Junior School War and Peace. All in barely legible handwriting. Badly spelled. (I did manage to get 'grotesque' right in one story, but that was because in my mind it was pronounced grot es que).

    But I do have this in my favour, at least it all went in the right direction. I've never had your talent for mirror writing!

    Great post, as usual. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did well to discover the conflict ingredient so young, Paul, and it's stood you in good stead. I think I realised this a lot, lot later - hence, my early stories are very wishy-washy and go nowhere. Now I say to my English pupils: 'A man gets out of bed, has a lovely day, then goes back to bed! Is that a story? Is it? Is it? Would you read it? Surely he should at least fall OUT of the bed and break his leg, preferably in two places, or a compound fracture that means an artery is pierced!'

      Delete

Post a Comment