Wasting time with God by Eileen Padmore

We keep writing that words make a difference. Well I've proved it. This four word definition of prayer has been transformative for me – especially in these epic times. How often does a negative statement prove positive, I wonder?

It's not the way Jesus put it when he was asked for prayer guidance – or is it?

He seemed to task us to pray with simplicity. Eugene Peterson nails it for me in The Message.

'And when you come before God, don't turn that into a theatrical production .....  All these people making a regular show out of their prayers, hoping for stardom! Do you think God sits in a box seat?'


Jesus was telling us not to pray for effect, which is a long way from seeing prayer as wasting time with God. But in our culture wasting time is frowned on. The pressure is to be structured, scheduled, cerebral – to achieve measurable results. Shutting yourself away to pray to someone you can't see, feel or hear (well, most of the time) might be construed as a waste of time.

Peterson's translation of the next verse takes it further:

'Here's what I want you to do. Find a quiet, secluded place so you won't be tempted to role play before God. Just be there as simply and honestly as you can manage. The focus will shift from you to God, and you will begin to sense his grace.'

Some do not subscribe to The Message and I understand their reasons. I don't always find it helpful – but these verses seem to peel off layers of translational and cultural fog.

Could Jesus be using irony – a gentle humour?

Irony is the art of expressing two meanings simultaneously. It is saying one thing and signifying the opposite for humour or emphasis.  It is the indirect presentation of a contradiction between action or expression and the context in which it occurs.

And I think it is the irony in this definition that has hooked my imagination.

Not that there has ever been a dearth of prayer definitions. Here are a few:
  • a solemn request for help.
  • an earnest hope or wish.
  • the activity of speaking to God.
  • paying attention to God.
All except the last puts the focus on me. 'Wasting time with God' puts the focus on him.

It reminds me of special insight gained through my course in personal spiritual development at the Bar Convent in York. The saintly Sister Cecilia, late veteran of the Community of Jesus, was sharing her own experience of prayer. The room hushed as we waited for precious pearls. No doubt she would outline some impossible feat of asceticism way beyond our scope. We should have known her better .......

'I find it absolutely vital' she said, 'to have a mug of coffee in my hand before I can pray first thing.'

A tangible wave of relief swept around the room. No problem then. It's OK to enjoy wasting time with God.






Eileen Padmore has retired from a life spent in health care  and academia, having worked in Sierra Leone, Zambia, Eire and Northern Ireland (in the troubles) as well as inner city Birmingham and Leeds.  She has had articles published in Woman Alive, Christian Writer and contributed to the popular ACW Lent Book. Married to a professional musician, the family includes a feisty springer spaniel and a large African tortoise. Eileen is soon to launch her new website / blog: benedictunravelled.uk 

Comments

  1. I went for a walk at 6am. I found it much easier to pray on the move than sitting at home. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Message for exactly the reasons you explain here, Eileen. It reveals the real humour running through the Bible. 'Do you think God sits in a box seat?' is a great example!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Fran. Yes, I thought these 2 verses were gems!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love The Message. Full of great translations that make you look at familiar words anew.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment