Pass the Peace by Emily Owen


At the end of February, I sent out my newsletter, outlining what I’d done in February, and what was coming up in March.

I also, with the help of fellow ACW-ers (thank you!), bought an iZettle, so I could take card payment at said forthcoming events.

On March the 5th, I spoke at a women’s event, and afterwards the leader said that I’d given them 12 sermons in one. We laughed at that: little did either of us know how almost prophetic her words would turn out to be. It was not long before event after event had to cancel.


An old hymn, Count Your Many Blessings, contains the line, ‘are you ever burdened with a load of care?’

'Loads of care' were in every email. No-one wanted to cancel, no-one wanted to miss out on book sales, everyone said, ‘let’s not make the decision yet’. But not one email started with these things.


Here are some snippets from emails I received from bookshop managers/event organisers/readers of my books/people who hoped to attend events:


'We feel it is the right thing to do to postpone your visit, first and foremost because we do not want you putting yourself at risk.’

‘Our thoughts are with you at the moment.’

‘Please Emily, do keep yourself safe.’

‘Praying for you in His service. Keep your eyes on Him.’

‘I am praying for you and thinking of you today.’

‘I know that you have underlying health issues, so do take every precaution, while also being full of faith.’


This is a worrying time, for bookshops and authors alike, yet each person who contacted me showed compassion beyond their own concerns.

The emails, and the people behind them – and the people not quoted – showed me that ‘a load of care’ doesn’t have to mean burdened and weighed down.

It can mean overwhelmingly blessed, as wave after wave of compassion flows.

I know, because I am currently riding the waves of that compassion.

I’m receiving ‘loads (lots) of care’, and am very, very blessed as I do.


I’m not trying to pretend that things aren’t difficult. They are difficult. We don’t know what’s happening, day-to-day things are changing fast.

As a bookshop manager reminded me above, ‘Keep your eyes on Him.’


I’m grateful for that reminder.

I’m grateful for the compassion I am being shown, even when people are facing tough times.

I’m grateful for the sense of peace I’m being given, even in this storm.


Thank you, to every bookshop manager, and the staff and readers they represent, for modelling Jesus to me. I count you among my blessings.


I am praying for you as you navigate these uncertain days.

I pray you’ll know wisdom, and strength, and enabling from God.

I pray you’ll know peace.


Jesus said, John 14:27; “Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled; do not be afraid.”


Last Sunday, due to handshakes not being allowed, I taught my church to say ‘Peace Be With You’ in sign language. It was a real time of blessing for us all, and I said so on social media. This led to my aunty in Australia requesting a video of it, so that she could learn. I posted the video and, since then, lots of people have used it to learn how to ‘pass the peace’ to each other.

So a game of Pass the Peace – not Pass the Parcel – began. I won’t say globally, because that sounds too big, but certainly in countries across the world.

I’d like to end this blog by ‘passing the peace’ to you; I might even say, passing back some of the peace you've given me.
Thank you.









Comments

  1. This is wonderful, Emily. God bless you x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good reminder, Emily. May the Lord bless you and keep you safe x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Emily. This was lovely. God bless you :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment