Thoughts of Thanks by Emily Owen


‘We want to make it as easy as possible for you, in a way that will suit you.'

The quote above is taken from an email I received.  I’m fortunate in that I often receive nice emails, and this one should definitely be included in that category.
The email was one in a conversation between myself and Authentic Media, who are publishing my next books.

The conversation – fear not, I shall greatly summarise it – went like this:

Them: We need to schedule a team meeting with you.

Me: OK.

Them: We usually arrange a Skype meeting, is that alright with you?

Me (thinking): Oh no.

Two reasons for this:

1)      I am pretty bad with technology.  I’ve only ever had one Skype meeting in my life, and that was just a month or so ago. With one person.  To be honest, we had enough hassle setting that up, let alone a meeting with multiple people.  I mean, how would that even work?

2)      I am deaf.  I can lip-read, but lip-reading is easier in person than from a screen.  Especially more than one person from a screen. I assume, anyway. (And how would it even work?)

Me (also thinking):  I’m making things difficult if I say no.

Me (apologetically): Well, um, a face to face meeting would be easier for me but don’t worry if not, we can give Skype a go.

Them: Ok, we’ll look into logistics of an in-person meeting, as one team member lives quite a distance away.

I was about to reply saying no don’t do that - let’s skype, I’ll manage - when I received an email.

Them: Right, it’s all sorted.  Let’s meet at our offices on X date. We want to make it as easy as possible for you, in a way that will suit you.

So, someone made a three hour plus journey just to make an hour-long meeting as easy as possible for me.

The reason I am mentioning this is to simply say thank you.


The meeting was to talk about my next books, which will be out on September 1st.  If you’d like to have a look, here’s the link.

But the main point of this blog is the reminder that it’s such a privilege to have reason to say thank you.
And it’s a privilege that belongs to all of us...


What are you thankful for today?



Comments

  1. I've found that people are genuinely nice. And you are right we do need to say Thank You to God more often. Than you, for the reminder

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point! Was just realising yesterday to be thankful we live in this house, this street, this area. You have to understand that we've lived here a long time. The street has gone way up in 'value' - that is house prices. Because of that, I am now often afraid people/companies judge us by our street. But it's better to be thankful because it is beautiful, with trees and places to walk nearby, and a home! It's all in the way we see things. Wonderful that you were considered worth that, by the people arranging the meeting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment