Time to Re-Group: A Personal Reflection by Jane Clamp



This is the last ACW blog I’ll be writing within my role as Groups’ Coordinator, so I thought I’d take the opportunity to look back and reflect.



image copyright blogspot.com
I joined ACW in the Autumn of 2013. I’d been on my first ever writing course and met, among others, Angela and Sarah Hobday. Their encouragement and friendship were immediate and powerful and, as soon as I got home, I filled in that membership form and pinned my colours to the mast. I had become a writer and I wanted to be where other writers were.



I joined Angela’s writing group in West Norfolk and would drive back from those meetings with my heart pounding and my head whirring, filled with excitement about this new passion in my life. At that stage I was barely writing anything, other than copious short pieces all entitled with variations of ‘I don’t know what to write.’ The few of us that gathered month by month became firm friends and staunch allies.



When Sarah decided to step down as Groups’ Coordinator in 2016, I didn’t hesitate in accepting the offer to succeed her. (By now, Angela had become Chair of ACW and I had taken over the leadership of Brecks, Fens and Pens, which was growing rapidly.) I knew only too well the essential role the group was playing in my own writing world, and was more than happy to encourage other members to get connected with local Christian writers.



It’s often said how solitary the writer’s life can be. The hours spent honing our WIPs often take place behind a closed door and, when we emerge, it may be with the sense that our output has to remain private, for now at least. Being part of a writers’ group breaks all of that down. Everyone in the room understands the pressures you are facing: to meet deadlines, stare down personal demons, overcome perfectionism, press through fear, doubt and rejection. Only fellow writers really understand what all that feels like. For the duration of that meeting, you can feel normal, as well as accepted.



Pressures of time mean that I am stepping down from serving on the Committee, but I shall continue to prioritise leading my local group. I truly would not be the writer I am today without them.



In closing, I heartily commend my successor, Richard Palmer, to you; and encourage all of you to get involved with other writers – informally or as part of a group. We need each other!



See you next month – without this particular hat on….






Jane Clamp is the outgoing (see what I did there?!) Groups' Coordinator for ACW and author of Too Soon, a mother's journey through miscarriage (SPCK)

Comments

  1. Sorry to hear that it's your last blog and that you're stepping down from the committee, Jane but it seems that your success as a writer has now resulted in time constraints. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila. In fact, I'm continuing on the blog....

      Delete
  2. You will be missed as groups co-ordinator. Glad to hear you are continuing with the blog. Thank you for all your hard work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy. It's been great serving alongside you on the committee.

      Delete
  3. Lovely that you have had such encouragement from a lively group. Groups are a problem area: some truly lovely supportive and friendly groups, while in other areas of the country it is hardly possible to get one started! I, along with long standing ACW member Simon Baynes, attempted to encourage a group to form in Oxford/Oxfordshire but although a few people would come, mostly they came for one or 2 sessions then disappeared. This is the story of groups in our area, whether Christian or secular, and reflects some kind of inertia among people who are provided with heaps of 'high culture' from well known professionals and have lost the expectancy of getting encouragement or simply enjoyment from meeting up with others like themselves who are not 'heard of' or 'award-winning' etc and see no point in trying... something like that. Even getting a church Book Group or similar is hard going here! (No, it is not 'me' it is objective!) Anyhow, both Norfolk and Devon plus I think Wendy's one in Scotland seem to flourish - send us the key down here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting.
      It's hard and disappointing and damaging when a group dynamic breaks down. I doubt there is one secret to success, but rather it's a complicated combination of all sorts of variables. I really hope you don't give up completely on the hope that there will be a great group for you one day.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for all you have done. Sometimes groups flourish: other times they just seem to come to a natural end. Our W Mids group is currently flourishing and about to celebrate its 10th birthday. Groups are such a vital part of a writer's life and I am immensely grateful for mine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment