Research for fiction: - do the greatest writers rely entirely on their own experience and imagination? - by SC Skillman

I've just finished reading a bestselling thriller set against the background of the Space Race. In his Acknowledgements at the end of the book, the author, says that he used a service called Research for Writers in New York.

I enjoyed learning about details of rocket science in his novel, and I know that many readers do like to learn something new in their favourite fiction, as well as identifying with the main protagonist and being drawn in by an intriguing plot.

But once again it led me to consider the question of intensive research by fiction writers. Years ago I
read and admired several books by a certain spiritual author; and I remember him lamenting the fact that creative writers rely too heavily on research rather than trusting their own imagination and experience.

Nowadays, it seems, for those writing mass-market fiction it's almost a badge of honour that they have done extensive and meticulous research. And I admit that sometimes, as I plan a novel, I feel  misgivings as I consider how this story is taking me into areas where I lack knowledge of the facts. And this is especially true of my choice of settings for a novel.

What do you think? Are your favourite novels rigorously researched?  Or do you prefer fiction which has arisen purely from the author's own life experience and imagination?

SC Skillman
psychological, paranormal, mystery
fiction and non-fiction
My next book 'Paranormal Warwickshire' 
will be published by Amberley Publishing on 15th June 2020.

Comments

  1. I think it depends. If I were reading a novel set in Warwick, or set in a secondary school, I'd be more likely to notice incongruities that showed a lack of research, and they'd bother me. If I were reading a novel set in Bali, or in a dentist's surgery, how would I know?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point Fran
      And of course these days you can always guarantee that the one person who IS going to read and review your novel is also the one person who knows you got your facts wrong....

      Delete
  2. I certainly notice when an book contains a major error that suggests to me that the author skipped that bit of research. It destroys the authenticity of the story, and the wildest bit of way-out fiction still has to have an authentic feel to it, or else it's just not going to engage its readers.

    But having said that, the things that I'm most likely to spot and get upset about are in the areas where I have some background knowledge. Such as the fine detail of forensics. I know what you can and can't get fingerprints off, because I spent years looking for them. Realistically, I can't expect every writer to have the same level of knowledge of what is, after all, probably a small part of the story. So I will (grudgingly) allow a bit of leeway on some things. Unless it's a major plot point, in which case they really should have researched more thoroughly. Or if they claim to have background knowledge - 'I've talked with many policemen' - in which case, they talked to the wrong ones!

    I do keep in mind, however, that I've probably slipped a few howlers into my own writing now and then. If anyone notices any - please tell me! Gently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree with you. I remember reading a Dan Brown novel when a character alerted the BBC to something, who immediately reacted to it without any other checks; and having worked at the BBC in the past I thought I'm sure the BBC would never just accept information like that without double and triple checking the reliability of the source...

      Delete
  3. My feeling as a writer and as a reader is that if a person sets a novel which is meant to be in this world and a certain period of history/contemporary, it does need a certain degree of accuracy. For example, even in small things - characters need to be realistically in their 'day job' so no point in thinking doctors don't work long hours on shifts or that gallery owners don't need a fair bit of cash to set up their business.... etc. Do Underground trains run all night, or is there a time when there are no trains on the London tube? Vicars do all manner of stuff (do you know exactly some of them? Find out!) Farms don't run themselves. How many hours a day might a concert pianist practice? You get the point. For my 2 novels now out, I learned a lot about fertility research and about working in a research lab though I used only a little of whatI l earned researching. Turning to fantasy, there's still a fair bit of use fro research. Philip S Davies's YA novels have that feel of authenticity, I think he did his research of medieval-style living to write those, for example a spot of archery etc. Personally, I am annoyed if the main characters seem to have all day to play 'plot of novel' without said plot relying on realistic times when they are involved with the daily grind - unless they have private means! And it makes them more rounded and interesting, and the plot too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these are all very good points and some of your examples - in particular the concert pianist - have served as a reminder to me about the research I need to do for my 4th novel (still in 1st draft).

      Delete
    2. I agree that things need to be accurate and research h is crucial. However, a certain amount of creative re-imagining may also come into it.

      Delete
  4. I prefer books to be based on solid premises, so I expect a writer to do enough research to satisfy the plausibility sniff test. If a book is based in an actual place during a specific time in history, I expect there to be an accurate representation of that place and time. If the place is a figment of the writer's imagination, then the "facts" about that place are limited only by the writer's imagination, and I'm happy to take a leap of faith into that imaginative place. But I still expect logic to prevail. I don't think there's any excuse for a failure to fact-check.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the stories to have a touch of realism - which that research or the author's own knowledge can provide, but I don't enjoy getting bogged down in information. I read fiction for the stories :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment