Holy Author Signing by Tracy Williamson

I've recently been to the CRT where I had the privilege of doing a book signing for my new book, A Desert Transformed. I must confess that I do love signing books for people.  I love feeling that the book has been personalised and made more valuable because of my signature.  I've connected and engaged with that person and although the book is by me whether or not I sign it, it seems to take it to a new level because of writing my name in it and often the person's name too. Every signed book that I receive from other authors means so much to me and I have a lovely little collection of them at home. 
It gives me a deep sense of achievement and joy that others will read something that I've written and want my signature on it. It's as if that signature is saying (to the book) 'I am proud that you are mine, you were birthed out of my heart and I loved creating you.  God and me worked together to make you beautiful. . .'  If I was ashamed of the book I wouldn't want to put my signature on it or even for it to be 'out there' where others could find and read it.  I would do everything to disown it. But as it is, I am joyful to own my book.  It has come from the core of who I am and I want others to be blessed by it,
But this also makes me think about how God does author signings too, but on our hearts rather than inside the cover of a new book. I read today these lovely verses from 2 Corinthians 3:3    'You show that you are a letter from Christ...written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.'
How awesome to think that I am God's letter, God's book and so are you and each one of us.  His Spirit takes joy in writing His name onto our lives: to say, 'You are mine! You came from the core of my being and I am proud to own you as my creation.  I have chosen you so that through you others may read my book in you which reveals what I am like.  You are my letter that I rejoice in signing my name upon.'
Whenever we look at creation we can easily see how each amazing flower, bird, mountain or tree carries the signature of God's love and creativity, but sometimes we find it harder to imagine how that is even more true with us. We see our weaknesses and flaws but although creation was described as being 'good', it was only us that were described as being made 'in His image'  How incredible! 

Just as every book is unique in style, message and purpose, so we too are unique.  We all carry God's signature and its like a global book signing event where throughout the entire world God is happily singing His name onto our hearts and thus declaring, 'This man is my beloved son whom I'm proud to call my own cherished creation; this woman is my precious daughter who I made to reveal my love; this child delights me and displays my joy and laughter.' 

Next time I sign a book for someone I will do it with that sense of awe and wonder that God is doing the very same work in me.




Tracy Williamson lives near Tonbridge in Kent. Tracy is an author and speaker working alongside singer/songwriter Marilyn Baker for MBM Trust, an itinerant music, teaching and prayer ministry.  www.mbm-ministries.org Tracy has now written 7 books on aspects of intimacy with God and is currently working on the story of hers and Marilyn's lives and ministry. Apart from writing, Tracy who is deaf, loves reading, enjoying creation and wildlife and indulging in naughty food like chocolate and cream cakes!

Comments