Second Time Around

700 and rising. That's the number of books I have on my shelves, though I may be underestimating it somewhat.

In that collection I have non-fiction books covering Celtic and North American Mythology, histories of Asia, Europe and Africa, as well as books on psychology, philosophy and economics among others. Not forgetting a large number of novels and various translations of the bible.

What most of them have in common is their origin: charity shops.

Many of my purchases are of one type. Books that look interesting, that I may want to read about at some unspecified time in the future, knowing that I likely won't. Others I do actually read, while some just look interesting, such as the diaries of John Smith who, in 1607, led a group of colonists to America.

The aforementioned books on mythology came from a charity shop, as have some history and current affairs books on Korea. I've picked up Folio Society books for a couple of pounds, histories of subjects as varied as cooking, prisons and governesses, and novels by authors I've heard of, but never read. For 50p, why not take a chance?

The main value, for me, are the science books. They help inform me about trends in research, as well as provide background detail for stories.

Not many of the books are very old. A lot have been published in the last ten years or so, though you do get the odd, non-collectable, gem from the 19th century at a reasonable price. Then you find out why it's cheap.

In some of the dedicated charity bookshops you can get collections, such as a set of Dickens' novels, for £40, all in good condition.

For writers, however, the main use of these shops is get some cheap books for research, while donating to charities at the same time.

One last thing. Libraries often sell off old books as well, though not as frequently.

Comments

  1. Loving this idea. I’ve never thought of it like that

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment