A Heavenly Perspective by Tracy Williamson


Am I viewing my life and my writing from my own restricted perspective or from God's?  What does He want me to see that I cannot perceive myself and how can I get to that point of seeing from a heavenly perspective?
By nature I am a cautious person especially since my sight and hearing have deteriorated.
However God put on my heart that He wanted me to have an adventurous spirit; knowing that He is always alongside me as a friend and that He has given me life that I might cherish it, not living in fear but in excitement and joy. Sometimes that fear can be so present that I opt out of starting anything new or doing things differently.  This goes with my writing too, making it sometimes feel like a huge chore, rather than a source of joy and fulfilment .
So in 2014, when I turned 50 I took a mammoth step and decided to do a skydive to raise funds for a ministry trip that Marilyn and I were making to India.  The big day came in mid July and after arriving at the parachuting centre I was paired with my tandem instructor, a young man called Chris.  A friend very helpfully typed the instructions for me although I didn't know what stage each  applied to as there was so much info to get across to me. So I just prayed and trusted! My first shock was when we reached 13,000 feet and the hatch on the plane floor opened.  I was the first to go and it should have been obvious but somehow I hadn't clicked that it would be me in front.  I thought Chris would have to be the front person and I would ride on his back. but it was the other way round and it was slightly terrifying to sit on the edge of a 13,000 ft drop knowing that it would be me who would hit the ground first! As you can see from the pic, I hadn't got the instructions quite right because my arms were still in hugging mode whereas Chris's were already spread wide!  For the first minute it was freefall.  A terrifyingly exhilarating experience as we plunged downwards at great speed, whirling and tossing in the wind which roared like a tumult into my ears and nose.  It was hard to breathe as I forgot to shout out on first jumping out of the plane as instructed.  I'd planned to shout Hallelujah but that did come a minute later when the parachute went up and we soared upwards again and suddenly everything calmed down as we were now
flying on the wind currents instead of falling through them! As you can see my arms were now correctly spread wide.  Awe and joy filled my heart as I gazed downwards, drinking in the panoramic view and realising that the things that seemed so big when I was on earth are minute from Heaven's perspective.  At every stage Chris ensured I knew what was happening, even to the extent of writing a note, using my back as a table, to let me know when to lift my legs ready for the descent.  I understood in a  new way that in life I don't have to work everything out myself.  Just as Chris 'had my back' and was in control and I was safely in his care, so God is constantly watching over me (and all of us).  All He wants is for me to be willing to step out, to brave my fears and relinquish my own piffling control which binds me up and restricts me unlike His which sets me free.  The experience of soaring with the wind was
unforgettable, a viewing from Heaven's balcony.  As I floated gently to earth I understood the importance of always flying with the wind of the Spirit, seeking to see from His angle not just my own, to have His vision in everything I do and every piece of writing I undertake.  Living and writing in this way will give me new vistas of insight and understanding, breadth and depth.
At the end, after we'd landed and untangled ourselves from the chutes, Chris gave me a big hug, a loving gesture from someone so much younger and so used to the job.
It was as if God my Father was saying 'my love for you is always there, you are always safe in my care and I am so proud of you and so delighted to enable you to see from Heaven's perspective. '
I will probably never do a skydive again but it is my prayer that in all that I am and all that I do that I will be willing to take new steps, jump out into the unknown and live from heaven's perspective, knowing that God is so much bigger and the insight and understanding He gives are so much more breath-taking than my own.

Tracy Williamson is an author and speaker working with blind gospel singer Marilyn Baker for the itinerant music, teaching ministry MBM Trust www.mbm-ministries.org  Tracy who is deaf and partially sighted lives in Kent with Marilyn and Goldie her Hearing dog.  Tracy loves reading, writing, chocolate, wine, the beauty of creation and fun with friends....

Comments

  1. Tracy, your post (and you) are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, Tracy, you're much braver than me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading your post got my adrenalin pumping! I could feel the fear (that I would have felt in your shoes) Amen to living with an eternal perspective and not being fearful.

    For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.”

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful description,photos and spiritual message. I did a parachute jump just once,years ago,on a static line (not a tandem jump). It was such a glorious feeling when the parachute opened, like being caught and held safely by a giant hand in mid-air.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done you Tracy! Gosh I could never do that, but so glad you've been blessed with 'open doors' now ... I could relate to some of your fears which makes it such a blessing to see how brave you were.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was lovely, Tracy, and the way you used it as a metaphor for your faith was both delightful and inspiring. Thank you, and well done! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment