A Handy Time Saving Device by Fran Hill

Thank you Fran for stepping in and providing this fun post. 

I’ve toyed with an idea for years. Why not abridge fairy tales for very busy parents who’d rather not, when it comes to the bedtime story, trawl through seventeen pages of abandoned children endlessly roaming through forests or heroines trying out every chair and bed in the house? After all, there’s Eastenders to watch and perhaps something tasty in the slow cooker.

I’ve even pitched the idea to humour book publishers and had what we writers call an encouraging response, AKA ‘We liked it very much, but no, not now.’

I’ll pass them to you, then. Here are some examples. Feel free, if you are a parent or grandparent on story-time duty, to use the tales on those time-pressured evenings when you need a story with a beginning, a middle and an end, but you also need to get downstairs again as fast as possible.

Red Riding Hood Stays Home
Once upon a time, Red Riding Hood’s mother said, ‘Will you take some cakes to Grandma?’ ‘Of course, Mother,’ said Red, dutifully. However, when Mother looked in the cupboard, she was very surprised to find she was clean out of flour! ‘Another time, Mother,’ Red said, lounging on her bed, her pillow much, much higher than usual.

The Three Little Pigs Get a Surprise Lunch
Once upon a time, three little pigs made their mother pack knapsacks. Then they left home to pursue their fortunes, despite Mummy Pig’s distressed and anguished squeals as they departed. ‘Take no notice,’ said Pig One, who’d always lacked empathy. At lunchtime, the pigs opened their knapsacks. ‘Hey!’ they all cried. ‘Who packed sausage rolls and mini pork pies in here?’

The Three Bears Plus One

Once upon a time, there were four bears: Daddy Bear, Mummy Bear, Baby Bear, and Paddington Bear, who had got lost. ‘Apologies,’ said Paddington, ‘but would you mind awfully if I ate the marmalade sandwich I have in my hat rather than this porridge?’ Daddy Bear and Baby Bear exchanged delighted glances. At last! An ally!

Hansel and Gretel and the Disappointed Witch
Once upon a time, two children were abandoned in a forest by their wicked stepmother. They came upon a witch, sobbing by a tiny collection of gingerbread, Jelly Babies and Liquorice Allsorts. ‘Why, oh why,’ she was crying, ‘did Bake-Off have to have a Hansel and Gretel week? Didn’t they realise the nation’s cooks would clear the supermarket shelves?’ The wicked stepmother was surprised, to say the least, when the children returned with a homeless witch in tow.

Why so Many Words



Comments

  1. Love it! My favourite part was the Bake-Off Hansel and Gretel week - such a great idea! ;) Your writing always make me smile, chortle or laugh out loud, usually, all three :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should pitch the idea to Bake-Off! Thanks, Deborah, for reading - and chortling :)

      Delete
  2. Great stories - I think Red Riding Hood is the one I like best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favourite is the three bears plus one. Brilliant Fran xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know ... they're a bit addictive to write! I probably will write more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I specially loved the 3 bears and the homeless witch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm beginning to love the homeless witch myself! She's growing on me and perhaps deserves her own story.

      Delete
  6. Brilliant Fran. My daughter thinks you should put these on Tumblr or Twitter and make a series where each post has a different story and gradually people will catch on and follow and support a humour book being made of them and then a publisher will descend and then.... everyone will live happily ever after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your daughter is a genius. Perhaps I should do that .... and it would be great to be the cause of everyone living happily ever after (although maybe that job's already been taken?)

      Delete
  7. Wonderful, Fran. Thank you, made me chuckle. Perfect flash fiction too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have thought of flash fiction, Allison. Thank you!

      Delete
  8. Thanks Fran, I thought they were great. However, when I tried these out on my own kids (now aged 23, 25, and 27) they just raised their eye-brows at me. Such a shame you didn’t publish them a couple of years ago, I know they’d have loved them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did try - if a publisher had taken them, you would have been fine!

      Delete
  9. Fran, this is utterly marvellous. These should be published without a doubt! You will know of the briliant work of Hurrah for Gin and the Unmumsy Mum, both of whom have tapped into what you might call the Exhausted Yet Diligent Mum market and published best sellers. I can see you joining them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this lovely encouragement!

      Delete

Post a Comment