Wonderful, darling by Veronica Zundel

When I started my MA course in Writing Poetry nearly seven years ago, I said that I wanted to write better poetry but didn't want to join the 'poetry scene'. Subsequent experience has not changed my mind. In my limited (and due to the pandemic, mostly online) encounters with it, the poetry scene has turned out to be little different from the theatre scene. It is full of people who all know each other and call each other 'darling' and who pronounce at any exposure of the work of a poet they already know, 'What wonderful poems! What a wonderful evening!', regardless of the actual quality of the poetry (and I am one who prefers to see poetry on the page to judge whether it's any good, since a decent reading (including by me) can make a pretty indifferent poem sound much better than it actually is.

The trouble is, if you want your poetry exposed and published, you basically have to be part of the poetry scene. Even if you self-publish, you will need to enter the scene to sell your self-published work, and it will be harder to sell than if it were published by a known poetry publisher. There really is no other way. So some time I will have to bite the bullet, get on the circuit (to mix my metaphors) and plunge in.

Photo by Kelsey Chance on Unsplash

But this has also got me thinking: is there a 'Christian writing/writers' scene'? And if so, what effect is it having? Several new and excellent writers have emerged in the last few years (and they are not necessarily spring chickens) so that would seem to suggest the absence of a clique which you have to become part of to get seen and published. Nevertheless, 'who you know' still seems to be a significant factor in success in the Christian market -- that, and the energy to keep churning out a new book every year or even more often,  energy which some of us simply don't have,  or which is taken up by other demands such as caring responsibilities (which, as always, fall more heavily on women).

I have to acknowledge that the ACW has been a positive force in nurturing new writers, and helping them hone their skills. Is it equally generous in seeking out the shy wallflowers who may be too timid to ask a question at an ACW day but who may actually be the writers of tomorrow? I'm not sure. It's too easy at an event (and I am as much a culprit here as anyone) to gravitate to those one already knows and wants to catch up with. It's also easy to value some kinds of writing over others -- to applaud those who have got a novel, or several novels, published but to overlook those who 'merely' write for Christian magazines or devotionals, or even their local paper,  which they may actually do very well. 

If there is a 'Christian writers' scene', let's try to make it one that has no 'celebs' or 'lesser beings', but one that welcomes all and gives opportunity to all. Oh, but let's also make it one where quality is paramount, whatever field of writing one is in. Simply exclaiming 'Wonderful!' does no one any favours at all.

Veronica Zundel is an author and former editor who has written/compiled nine books (all out of print) but continues to write her regular column for Woman Alive magazine and Bible notes for New Daylight (BRF). She is a widely published and occasionally prizewinning poet.


Comments

  1. Wot no comments yet? I enjoyed this anyway Veronica! Yes, couldn't agree more: in fact our local poetry group was eventually eaten up (gradually) by our rivals, over time! Of course there was more to it than that - but the groups were too different, and the other one was more into 'slam' etc, ours being more thoughtful-styled & female-run... I fear the 'Christian' scene is probably not much different to what you describe- maybe without the 'darlings' but possibly includes the wine, where applicable? Drifting into finding one's tribe and keeping it tribal is all too easy for human beings...you have raised some interesting and useful thoughts here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a 'wonderful' blog. Sorry, Veronica, I couldn't resist that. I totally relate to this and have been slowly pushing my poetry 'out there' in the hope of being noticed. I recently entered my first 'Slam' and it was exactly how you describe. The judges were of a type, selected by the organisers of the same type. They preferred political rants or rants that attacked anybody. I did reach the semi-final, so I couldn't have been that bad and I did learn. The ACW has an awesome poetry group that meets on Zoom every month (not August), it's called TRELLIS and it would be really good to see you join us. I have found this group to be both encouraging and inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post, Veronica! I agree very much with Brendan, that you should join TRELLIS! It would be lovely to have more people who can show the group how to get their poetry noticed. Poetry is slowly begining to rear its head in the world, where before, it was relegated to the shadows. As for the ' Christian Scene', let's hope that ACW will be get to create their own version as well!! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you've missed the point, Sophia! I don't want ACW to create their own 'scene' - far from it. I hope very much that we don't operate as that kind of clique.

      Delete
  4. You make some excellent points. I do think the waters get muddied as soon as people confuse 'being nice/showing solidarity/being Christian' with 'being helpful or constructive'. No one moves on or improves in that arena. However, handling that so that no damage is done is another matter! Personally, I don't think I'd have made much progress with my writing (on my 30 year journey with it) if some people hadn't been pretty straight with me. My daughter once told me my writing was far too self-indulgent and once I'd stopped weeping, I saw how right she was and adapted my style. It made such a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your title caught my eye and made me smile! I have just begun a Blog and after typing in 'how to connect with other Christian writers, this site popped up! I enjoyed your post immensely, especially your closing remarks 'If there is a 'Christian writers' scene', let's try to make it one that has no 'celebs' or 'lesser beings', but one that welcomes all and gives opportunity to all. Oh, but let's also make it one where quality is paramount, whatever field of writing one is in. Simply exclaiming 'Wonderful!' does no one any favours at all.'
    Although, dare I admit, a little 'wonderful' does go someway to encourage a newby. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog left me with a lot to think about. Poets are often (always?) sensitive people, and to take criticism you have to be able to step outside yourself and recognise the genuine critic who is trying to help and encourage you, and also recognise the insecure person with their 'Wonderful darling' comments, hoping beyond hope to be told that their work is wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for writing for me, Veronica, and doing it so well! I thoroughly agree with all you say. I'm slowly getting back to writing with both hands but very slowly and a bit stiffly, so I'm not sure where the future world of writing is beckoning me. However, looking forward to launching my tribute book in collaboration with another to a very special lady in just a couple of weeks time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment