A chance encounter

 

Recently I ventured along the path of solo travelling. Just a short break. Nothing very adventurous. On the first full day of my stay, I crossed the River Teign in a small ferry boat, driven by a boatman who arrived with a seagull perched on his hat. Apparently, the bird often hitches a ride.

Teignmouth's museum was interesting and the pier exactly how it should be — a noisy amusement arcade with flashing lights and slot machines gobbling up any money they were offered. I didn’t stay more than two minutes, but then I’m not a little girl any more, skipping along with a few pennies in her hand. (I know, a few pennies don’t get you far these days!)

Having explored the church and the charity shops, I noticed a street-board outside a small shop and café, promising crab sandwiches. I couldn’t resist an offer like that!

The café part was simply two tables almost touching each other, with seating for no more than six people, groups of three facing each other, and no room at the ends for more. There was a lady of advanced years sitting at one table and I asked her if she’d mind if I took the seat next to her (on the next table). She said no, not at all, and we fell into one of the most interesting conversations I have ever had.

The lady told me she was on holiday, staying at a hotel in Teignmouth. I didn’t realise until she told me, that she is blind. At the age of ninety-four, she had travelled alone by train, with British Rail’s free assisted travel service, from York to Teignmouth, including changing trains and booking a taxi from Teignmouth station to the hotel. My late husband and I had spent several days at the same hotel last year, so we swapped notes about the beautiful grounds to walk in, the food, etc., and then we went on to losing people we loved, with all its challenges and consequences. This was such a therapeutic conversation for me, and I think for her too, and eventually I asked this wise and strong woman if she had a faith, and she replied, ‘I wouldn’t manage without it.’

‘Do you have a faith?’ she asked.

‘Yes, and I feel the same.’

It was only then that I asked the lady her name. ‘Margaret,’ she said.

‘I’m Veronica,’ Then I added, ‘I think we were meant to meet today, Margaret.’

She smiled, and said, ‘I think we were.’

So this is my blog. As Christians, we carry something of Christ/Jesus/God within us, and in our attitudes, our lives and our writing, whether explicitly or implicitly, we have the opportunity to witness to the way, the truth, and the life, no matter how many times our totally human behaviour leads us to feeling sorry, ashamed, and/or bruised. Perhaps that’s all we can do, really.



Veronica Bright is a prize-winning author of short fiction and drama. She writes book reviews for Transforming Ministry. She is the ACW short story adviser, and runs the ACW Writing for Children group, whose members meet up on Zoom. For more details look on the Writing for Children Facebook page. 

Photos are writer's own.





Comments

  1. What a lovely post, Veronica! And what a beautiful meeting. (I hope the crab sandwiches were as good as the conversation!). What you say about faith in your last paragraph resonates with me: that is how it is. I remember, as a child, though, the realisation that many others didn't, and that felt like a barrier...their reference point was different, and some despised those of us who believed. Thanks for your piece today, and what a beautiful part of the country you live in (west country) as well as the part you were visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the quiet simplicity of this, Veronica - simple in its best sense, yet rich and deep as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic tale Veronica, thank you. I love these encounters when they happen. Your blog has reminded me to not shy away from conversations with strangers as I am prone to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post,Veronica! I love the way you asked, 'Have you got a faith?' This is a good tool for evangelism. I have often wondered the best way to go about it. This is it! Thanks ad blessigs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry; typos and auto-correct mess up there...

      Delete
  6. Beautiful post, Veronica; you made me cry. In a good way. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful encouraging, inspiring piece. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment