Powerful Storytelling by Joy Margetts

 Who doesn’t love a good story? As writers most of us love to read and love a well written story, whether fiction or non-fiction. We love a well imagined tale that grabs our attention. We can be moved by true-life stories -  good biographies or memoirs. We go to the TV screen, theatre or cinema to lose ourselves in an engaging story.

We love good stories because stories are powerful. A quick search on the internet will tell you that stories are powerful when they connect with the audience in some way. As writers, particularly those of us who write stories, our aim is to connect with our readers. At least to get them interested enough to keep reading beyond the first page or two!

We explored the power of stories at our recent writer’s retreat. In one of our sessions we looked at HOW good stories connect with an audience. These were our conclusions:

Stories connect because

1.     They engage our imagination

2.     They engage our emotions

3.     They stay in our memory

4.     They encourage us to think in more than one dimension

5.     They can speak beyond our minds to our souls and to our spirits

I am sure we can think of stories we have read that have transported us to another time and place, where we have escaped reality through the power of the writing and of our imaginations. Perhaps we can think of stories that have made us cry, or laugh, or just left us feeling peacefully contented. Can you remember stories you read or heard as a child that have stayed with you in your memory? I’m sure you can.




At the retreat we looked at the power of stories using two parables from the Bible. Jesus taught in parables and they were definitely powerful. Jesus’ stories connected with His audience, by engaging their imaginations and emotions, but they did more than that. His parables had the power to speak beyond the minds of His listeners; they had the power to speak deep spiritual truths that would connect to their very hearts. If His listeners were willing to look for the truth behind His words, and to think in more than one dimension.

I want to write good stories that connect with my readers, that engage their imaginations and their emotions. But I also think it is possible to write stories that go deeper; that touch people’s souls and spirits. That is possible if God is with us in the writing. We can write powerful stories inspired by Him.

We called our retreat ‘Writing kingdom Stories’. There was a purpose in that. We wanted to focus on how powerful stories can be, and how perhaps we could be writing the sort of stories that speak the truths of God’s kingdom into people’s lives.




I know this type of writing isn’t for everyone. But even if you don’t write Kingdom stories, I am sure at some point you have read some. If you took a moment to think back over all of the books of stories that you have read, whether fictional or non fictional, could you highlight stories that connected with you beyond your mind and emotions? Did they speak to you spiritually? Did they even reveal spiritual truths to you in a way you hadn’t seen before?

I’ll answer that question. Yes! There have been many instances when stories have spoken deeply to me, which is why I believe Christian fiction can be powerful. In a time when I felt God was very far away from me (He wasn’t, it just felt that way!) I picked up C.S. Lewis’ Chronicles of Narnia many years after I last read them as a young teen. I reread those stories and as I did I was reminded of who Jesus was, how much I was loved, and how real and beautiful my Christian faith was. Powerful. God used those stories to reach out to me, comfort me and bring me back to Him.

Can you think of a story, or more than one, that had lasting spiritual impact on you?

Do you think it is possible to write powerful stories that point people to Jesus? Is it something you feel called to do?


Joy Margetts writes Christian Historical Fiction. Her debut novel 'The Healing' was published in March 2021, and her second ‘The Pilgrim’ in July 2022. Her third novel 'The Bride' will be published later this year. Joy makes her home in beautiful North Wales and takes her inspiration from its rich spiritual history and stunning landscapes. She is also wife, mother and grandmother and a lover of the Word of God. Her personal blog and more information about her books can be found here www.joymargetts.com 

Comments

  1. This is an interesting question. While I agree totally with you in the sense that our fiction should carry within it the qualities of our Christian faith I am a bit of an advocate for writing for the mainstream market - the reason being that there is the place where our characters can be seen living out what might be called 'kingdom' lives, but being specific about pointing people to Jesus is really only possible when writing for the Christian' market as mainstream doesn't really accept anything which has what they'd call 'religious' (especially Christian 'religious' - I've read quite a number where Judaism/Islam figure in the story). However, it can be done - not necessarily as specifically: ACW member Anne Booth has published her novel 'Small Miracles' with a secular publisher, and the sequel will be out soon, I think next month. Tis ,discussion could go further - I also think there is a strong case for writing as close as we can to 'kingdom stories' (if you mean ones with specific Christianity underlying them) as there are indeed plenty of anti-Christian ones out there... Thanks for this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post, Joy! I read Rob Seabrook's, 'Beneath the Tamarisk Tree. It is a powerful story that left
    a spiritual impact in my memory and I will read again. I wish I can write such a powerful story that can possibly change a person's life for the best and to lead to salvation! Yes, it is possible to write such books. 'Am I called to write such?' I guess so. The question for me is,' have I taken the choice to do so?' Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an honest response Sophia! Thank you 😊

      Delete
    2. Yes definitely feel called to bring Jesus into the secular field - l am trying but it’s not easy is it?

      Delete
    3. No calling is ever easy! But we have Holy Spirit to partner with us!

      Delete
  3. I am wondering what 'point people to Jesus' means in practice. In a mainstream publishers, this would be questioned as being 'preaching' wouldn't it? Pre-evangelism can be done: direct evangelism, honestly done, is evangelism.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes how wonderful it would be to write a story for the mainstream that carries spiritual power able to transform lives. As a child I found the story of 'Heidi' deeply stirring on an emotional & spiritual level - and 'The Lion the Witch & the Wardrobe' especially when Aslan sacrifices himself before the White Witch; she exalts over his weakness & defeat; and all her minions mock him - then later when Aslan returns he speaks of the 'deeper magic' which she had forgotten. So many will have read that scene and been deeply moved, and like me, have never forgotten it - the power is there, & is unmistakable. (Sheila aka SC Skillman).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also may I say, Tolkien in Lord of the Rings writes powerfully from a Christian world view, despite the novel being aimed at teens and adults rather than children. He never mentions a Redeemer, but surely Aragorn, for one, represent this concept - spread between him, Eowyn who slays the Witch King, and possibly Gandalf, it is all there. Frodo has a rather 'human being' part of this also. (DO NOT watch the movie! Read the book! Thankfully, I think Narnia hasn't yet been 'Disneyfied?)

      Delete
  5. Storytelling is essential to our Christian faith. Someone recently suggested to me that when the Bible is banned, our stories will prevale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the reasons why I believe so passionately in Kingdom stories... and why I feel the time is now to get them written

      Delete

Post a Comment