Who will see it? by Brendan Conboy

Gloucester Cathedral is famous for its grand Gothic architecture, its stunning collection of stained glass windows and of course Harry Potter’s Hogwarts.  The 225 foot high central tower is visible from miles away as you approach the city.  People travel from all over the world to see it, I once took someone from Japan to see it, she was crazy about all things Harry Potter.

All visitors to this rather splendid landmark have their own stories to tell, mine is a little different.  For many years the Cathedral was hidden, as it was shrouded in scaffolding and tarpaulins.  An army of stonemasons worked tirelessly behind the drapes in what seemed an endless task of restoration.  At that time, I worked in construction and knew one of the gifted and dedicated stonemasons, he told me this story to highlight the quality of his work.

“I was working way up in the roof space to replace a corbel (a projection jutting out from a wall to support a structure above it).  This corbel was ornately carved to the same standard as anywhere else on the building and it supported a part of the roof.  With me was a young apprentice who questioned why this stone was carved to such a high stand, ‘No one will see it’, he said.  ‘God will see it’, I answered.”

As writers we might ask ourselves the question, “Who will see it?”  I often wonder that about this blog.  Will our work be read by the multitudes?  Does that really matter?  What does matter is that God sees it and He sees your obedience to write.

I published my first book in 2015, it is my biography called, ‘The Golden Thread.’  I know for certain that it hasn’t been seen or read by the multitude but those that have read it have been inspired.  What’s more, I have heard from numerous people from around the world telling me that it was instrumental in leading them to Jesus.

I write because God tells me to write and I write what He tells me.  I know that He will use that to impact the lives of others and draw them into His kingdom.  There will be more joy for the one person that reads your work, than for the 99 that have no need for it.

Brendan Conboy aka Half Man Half Poet is the author of 13 published books including his fascinating autobiography, The Golden Thread.  In 1986, Brendan invited Jesus into his life and God blessed him with the gift of rhyming words.  He used that gift as a Christian Rap artist for 25 years and has written 6 poetry books including the entire Book of Psalms in Rhyme.  He has 3 published novels - Issues, Invasion of the Mimics and Legacy of the Mimics.  He is the creator of Book Blest Christian book festival.  Brendan is available for speaking events, poetry performances and workshops.  Visit Brendan's website HERE.

Comments

  1. I love that 'there will be more joy for the one personwho reads your work than for the 99 that don't need it!' That is my experience too. I am so blessed to hear when my books bless people, but they aren't read by multitudes. I too write what He asks me to write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Brendan. Next time I am in Gloucester, I will look at the Cathedral with fresh insight. I love your thought about things unseen being seen by God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such good points, Brendon, thank you. The 1:99 ratio was encouraging. We all want to make a splash, be fruitful, enjoy some success whatever phrase we choose to use but reaching the ones is more important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, only just noticed your comment.

      Delete

Post a Comment