To blog or not to blog? Some inaugural musings.

Firstly, apologies to all fans of The Bard for such terrible misquoting.

With that over, let’s get down to business. This is my first post with More than Writers. So you might be wondering, who am I and what am I doing here?

I shall try to answer. I'm Natasha. In 2022, I published my first two Biblical fiction novels. It had taken a year to get from completing my first draft to publication, and I could never have done it without ACW. So many people held my hand, encouraged me to publish, showed me what to do, beta read, endorsed and reviewed my books. If you were one of them, you have my heart’s genuine gratitude. Thank you.

Due to the genre I write in, I had few choices regarding publishing. Self-publishing it was. Knowing that no-one was going to sell my books except me (and my mother), and never one to do things by halves, I knuckled down on marketing. I set up a website, Facebook page, Instagram profile and TikTok account. I signed up for conferences, giveaways, Amazon ads, podcasts, etc. Everyone told me blogging was a great thing to do, so I started my own blog and popped myself down on the More than Writers waiting list.

After two book launches and ten months of drowning in a sea of marketing mayhem, reality hit. My books were not selling fast. Most of my time was taken up with things that weren’t producing results (at least not quickly) and I had lost my first love: writing Kingdom stories. I never set out to be an author. God told me to write a book, so I did it. But somewhere along the way, being an author became a burden rather than a pleasure. Writing, a source of pressure rather than a spiritual conversation with my Lord.

I abandoned TikTok, reduced the frequency of blogging and posting, and committed to writing my fourth novel, rediscovering my love for the discovery draft. 

So, why on earth am I here? Why have I said ‘yes’ to another commitment and joined the More than Writers blogging team?

This is the point where I’d love to tell you that God called me to do this. That I’m being obedient to his calling and giving up something else in order to do MTW. The truth is, it’s because my personality type persists. I’m still an all-or-nothing type. I still need to learn from the not-as-wise-as-King-Solomon-but-still-pretty-wise Master Yoda. “Patience you must have, my young Padawan. Have patience and all will be revealed.”

Image of Yoda


I’ve just returned from the incredible Kingdom Writer’s Retreat led by the wonderful Three J’s (Joy Margetts, Joy Vee and Joanna Watson). At one point, we chatted about writing testimony stories, considering Paul’s testimony to King Agrippa in Acts 26. We noticed how, after his conversion, God didn’t change Paul’s personality type. He sanctified it. 

My Father God is still sanctifying my personality. He’s nowhere near finished and has a lot of work ahead of Him. But hopefully, somewhere along the way, I can share my writerly mistakes with you through this blog, and you can learn from my mishaps (no doubt frequently rolling your eyes.) 

So that’s why I’m blogging today. Now, it’s over to you. Do you blog? Where? Why? How? Where does your inspiration come from? I’d love to know. For ‘to blog or not to blog’—that is the question for today.


Natasha Woodcraft lives in Cambridgeshire with her husband, 4 sons, a spotty dog, an evil bunny and some much maligned fish. She believes stories have power to communicate deep truth and transform lives. Her published novels, The Wanderer Scorned & The Wanderer Reborn, explore God’s redemptive purposes for messy people by reimagining the tale of Cain & Abel. Also a songwriter, Natasha peppers her emotional prose with poetry and song.

Comments

  1. Love the thought about sanctified personality type - I hadn't thought about that with Paul and Agrippa before but it's so true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just? I can't take credit for the insight but it really impacted me.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful, is your first blog. Welcome to MTW, you are. Encouraged are we. I might write my next book in Yoda-esque.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it, you shall. Funny, it will be. We used to have a sat nav that spoke Yoda, but it was so slow at talking, we kept missing the turnings and had to change the voice. Ha ha!

      Delete
  3. I think you know just how much this resonates with me! Well done you. It's a great first blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement and inspiration. x

      Delete
  4. Welcome to the blog you are! Lovely to read what's been going on. I really need to get my own blog up and running again. Good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, a lovely first blog. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to the blog! Great first post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great first post! Likewise I’ve also dipped my toes into the TikTok world and retreated. But at least you can talk it through with your ‘much maligned fish’ - that made me chuckle 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they are maligned. My husband is determined to be rid of them, but I fiercely resist. Watching them is far more relaxing than TV. They are very patient with me.

      Delete
  8. Lovely post, Natasha! Welcome on board to MTW Blog. Hope by God's grace you will comment on posts and return comments on your post! It is not an easy responsibility. May God grant you grace. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sophia. I’m sure I will often not know what to write but by God’s grace, he’ll give me something. As he did to start me off. 🙂

      Delete
  9. Somehow my browser settings have changed and I can only post anonymously! Your questions always draw me in, Natasha. Here's a link to a post from last year, which tells you something about my blogging, which I have been doing for almost 11 years now. I didn't reduce the frequency of my posts. Susan Sanderson https://suestrifles.wordpress.com/2022/07/07/rethinking-my-blogging-aims/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, you are such a prolific blogger, you astound me with the number of reviews you do in particular. Thank you for the link!

      Delete
  10. Congrats on your first MTW post! I used to blog regularly (mainly to entertain) and kept it up for nearly 15 years but I've let it slide as other projects have taken over. I keep thinking 'should I?' and then something else intrudes. But it was a great way to keep my mind alert for ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fran. Really good point about it keeping your mind alert, but you’re right, life crowds in and we have to prioritise somewhere. Your stories are so excellent! Hopefully there will be a future season where you can blog again.

      Delete
  11. A very belated welcome, Natasha! Somehow this got lost in my 'saved' stash. I'm looking forward to your next instalment of the Cain/Abel story which I devoured last Dec/Jan. I blog twice a month here: https://dancingthroughchaos.wordpress.com/ The title comes from my strange, nomadic, mission life – the antithesis of someone who really loves order. Some days we all have to make the cold-blooded decision to dance! You've put in several MTW blogs since this one, so well done for jumping in.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment