Spreading Out Our Manuscripts by Emily Owen

"Will you do bedtime story?"

I love being asked this and, during half term week, on holiday with my family, I had the privilege of being asked it a few times.

So my nieces and nephews and I would curl up with a book, and share the story. A particular pleasure for me was seeing the way they became absorbed in the narrative, often looking up at me with delight when things were funny, and with empathy when things were sad.

(Ok, another pleasure was doing the voices!)

I am not usually a fan of reading aloud; the children are an exception. Whenever possible, be it during a talk or event or book launch, if I have a passage that needs reading aloud, I will ask someone else to read it for me.

Yesterday, however, I found myself reading aloud by choice.

When completing a manuscript, I like to read the entire thing aloud. I find it helps, not least in spotting errors hitherto missed. So I sat in my study by myself and read aloud.

I missed the children. I missed the connection. I missed the sharing.

Reading aloud is not meant to be done alone, I thought, as I had a chocolate-pause about two minutes in.

My eyes drifted to this card I have on my desk.

White background with blue clouds and black bird silhouettes, with the veres 'Set your minds on things above' Colossians 3:2

'Set your mind on things above…..where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.'

I wasn’t alone, God was with me, as He always is.

So I decided to read my manuscript to Him.

I felt a bit like King Hezekiah, in 2 Kings 19:14: ‘Hezekiah….spread it [a letter] out before the Lord.’

When reading aloud, it’s as though the words we read are, in a sense, spread out before our listeners.

Yesterday, as I read aloud, I spread my manuscript before God.

I shared it with Him, in all its highs and lows. And do you know what? He is an absolute pleasure to read to….

Why not try it?

With your fiction, non-fiction, blog, essay, whatever it may be.

Spread out your manuscript before your biggest encourager – God Himself.

I didn’t read the whole manuscript yesterday, I still have more to go. When I pick up where I – sorry, God and I – left off, I suspect I won’t be having a procrastination chocolate-pause two minutes in (I never have procrastination pauses when reading to the children, either).

I’ll be reading to the One who sees me sit down to read, and sits down beside me, ready to be read to.

Take my yoke upon you. 

Let me teach you, 

because I am humble and gentle at heart, 

and you will find rest 

for your souls.

Matthew 11:29


Comments

  1. Hey Emily, what a great post. I got into reading my work out aloud when I wrote the book of Psalms in rhyme. It does make such a difference. I guess I was reading it to God, though didn't think about that until now. What I do know is that I felt so close to God by doing it. Now, I read everything out aloud. At times I'm sure the neighbours can hear me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brendan. If I ever need a read-alouder, I know where to come! I'd never thought about reading aloud to God before, either. And I'm sure your neighbours are happy to hear you.

      Delete
  2. Lovely Emily, thank you. I feel the same alone-ness when reading aloud to myself to check it - so from now on I shall read it to check it is pleasing to Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I pray reading to Him blesses you as it did me.

      Delete
  3. This is a marvellous idea; I'll be doing this too now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly lovely,Emily! I have never read my manuscripts aloud to myself or anyone after I finish.Wait a minute, my poems!! Yes, I do read those to myself often and when I am alone. I love the idea that you read to our Lord and He listens. I imagine Him saying, ' Well done my good and faithful servant!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sophia. I think you're right, He will say that to us when we spread out our manuscripts before Him. I'm sure He loves to hear your poems.

      Delete
  5. I love this so much! It's a beautiful idea and I wish I'd thought of it sooner. Guess what I'm going to be doing today? Especially when the writing is all about Him. I always ask Him to help me write, so makes absolute sense to read it back to Him! Thank you Emily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy. It's lovely to think of you reading to Him today!

      Delete
  6. What a fabulous idea! I love this! What a way to turn this (often painful) stage of editing into communion with the father. Thank you! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Natasha. Yes, 'often painful' is the word, I think that too, and am glad He's showed us a way to help with that.

      Delete
  7. That's so lovely Emily! Thank uou

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great idea! Reading aloud in the way you describe is quite different to reading it in your head where your mind allows you to skip along. I often use the read aloud function on Word. It's a bit stilted and false but still useful to hear what you've written being spoken. For me, writing is a solitary experience, so I like the idea of reading it out to God, prayer style.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment