SUFFICIENT GRACE by Joy Margetts

 When I looked ahead to this month’s blog I knew I probably wouldn’t struggle to find a subject matter. After all it would be due out a week after our Writing Kingdom Stories Retreat ended. I was confident that I would have lots of material to draw on.

Maybe I could write about how to plan and run a Writers Retreat. Or at least what mistakes to avoid in planning and running a Writers Retreat.

Maybe I could talk about what we did, and how much fun we had. What was taught and what was shared.

Maybe I could wax lyrical about what a roaring success it all was.

Maybe I could reflect on what I learnt personally in co-hosting a writing retreat.

Maybe I could tell you that we are definitely going to do it all again, and invite you to be a part of it.

But I’m not sure I can do any of those things and I am sorry if that is what you were hoping for. Perhaps I will get to those in future writing, but not today.




The truth is I am still very much in recovery mode. As I am writing this, I am physically exhausted, mentally and emotionally overwhelmed (in a good way) and spiritually… well more on that in a bit. I am taking my time, with God, to process all that happened at and around the Retreat. It is lots! And I am so, so grateful to God for allowing us to partner with Him to bring this Retreat about. So grateful to Joy Vee and Joanna Watson for sharing the load and the vision. So grateful to all the those who signed up to come and who so graciously threw themselves wholeheartedly into it. So amazed at how well it went and the way it blessed us all. So in awe of how God made Himself so obviously present with us.

God makes us promises and it is genuinely up to us if we are going to take Him at His word or not. In the weeks and days leading up to the Retreat, when I was seriously questioning why I was even doing it. When the planning and the organising was taking up time and energy I just didn’t feel I had. When I had huge doubts that I could physically even do what was going to be required of me at the Retreat (my M.E. limits me so much). When I had no idea if it was going to be a success and whether the people coming might even ask for their money back. Even when I laid awake at night worrying about the smallest of details – like if the food options would work, whether we should use tablecloths or not, if there were cruet sets on site…

In all of that one promise kept me going.

My grace is sufficient for you , for my strength in made perfect in your weakness. 2 Corinthians 12:9 NKJV

I could choose to believe that. To trust in Him to be all that I needed, all that we needed, and more. Actually I felt I had no choice. I knew I could not do it without Him. And what a relief that I didn’t have to. From the moment I believe He gave me the vision for the Retreat, when He prompted me to ask Joy and Joanna to join me, and as the vision was added to and honed. As we decided on a venue, sourced catering, and prayed for people to come. As we put together a programme and knew what our focus would be – to encourage and inspire writers to write stories that point to Jesus and His Kingdom. As the final plans came together and the Retreat started in earnest. As the physical exhaustion threatened to defeat me. In it all, HE WAS TRUE TO HIS PROMISE.

His grace was sufficient.

So, my encouragement for you today is this. If you are facing a task that you believe is something that God has asked and inspired you to do. If there is a book idea that seems outside of your ability to write. If there is a writing group or event perhaps He is asking you to lead, and you don’t feel you have the qualifications to do so. If you are quaking in your boots at the thought of speaking about your writing, or having a book launch, or putting yourself out there as writers have to. If He is asking you to do anything that you really can’t believe you can do. Good. His grace is sufficient. He will give you all you need and more. He will sustain you. He will inspire you. He will bring it about in ways that go beyond your imaginings if you keep giving it all back to Him.

Take it from me.

His grace is sufficient.


 
Joy Margetts writes Christian Historical Fiction. Her debut novel 'The Healing' was published in March 2021, and her second ‘The Pilgrim’ in July 2022. Her third novel 'The Bride' will be published later this year. Joy makes her home in beautiful North Wales and takes her inspiration from its rich spiritual history and stunning landscapes. She is also wife, mother and grandmother and a lover of the Word of God. Her personal blog and more information about her books can be found here www.joymargetts.com 

Comments

  1. Hi Joy, I am so pleased that this retreat was such a success. We shouldn't really be surprised, as we are just God's instruments, obedient to what He calls us into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brendan. I know we should trust Him but it was still a surprise what He enabled us to do!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WoW I needed that today, especially after a holiday where I completely switched of and honed in to Jesus. Thanks again for all your hard work on the retreat and I'm looking forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful reminder that God gives us all we need and so much more, Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How often do we forget though? And try to do it in our own strength! Thanks Ruth x

      Delete
  5. Very inspiring post Joy. Thank you. And so pleased to hear how well the retreat went 😍

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post, Joy!It is a very refreshing experience ,when one goes on a retreat.I have never been to one but my late sister used to blow the trumpet about it. Thank God it all went well for both the organisers and the participants. Yes,please, do it again. Congrats again. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment