TYPOS

 

7th line down middle column

I woke to a kindly private text from my brother pointing out a typo in my recent blogpost about some research trips I’d done for my dissertation: British Museum instead of British Library. Fortunately, blogs are easy to correct and I reminded myself it couldn’t be as disastrous as the email I once sent to Boys’ Brigade parents asking them to make sure their boys brought their wellies – at least, I meant to type wellies!

 I’ve been thinking about mistakes a lot recently.

In the British Library (and if you’ve never been, please do – it’s wonderful), in its aptly named Treasures Gallery, you can see the 4th century Codex Sinaiticus, our earliest surviving manuscript to contain the whole New Testament. It’s open at Luke’s story of the Annunciation where someone has crossed out ‘to a city in Judea’ to correct it with ‘of Galilee’.

You can also view a He Bible. Different versions of the 1611 King James Bible translate Ruth 3.15 as either ‘he’ (Boaz) or ‘she’ (Ruth) ‘went into the city’. Although the Museum of the Bible points out that this may not be a typesetting error but due to discrepancy in the text. Modern translations still differ.

And we probably all know about the 1631 Wicked Bible, with its compositors’ mistake of leaving out a key word to read “Thou shalt commit adultery”!


I also went to Winchester Cathedral, primarily to see the Winchester Bible in their Kings and Scribes exhibition. But I was struck by the story of diver William Walker, who, between 1906 and 1911, helped rescue the cathedral from collapse by installing over 25,800 bags of concrete. In the crypt now stands an Antony Gormley statue on top of that concrete but still in a pool of groundwater, sometimes rising high enough to fill the bowl the statue holds. Somehow, the flooding adds to the beauty and transforms it into a dynamic piece of art.

Which leads me onto kintsugi, a key concept in my dissertation, and how damage can be accepted and integrated, transformed into something more beautiful than the original flawless piece.

Or consider how children can get words or phrases wrong but these become memorable or endearing. Back to my brother again, I still struggle to think of the correct word when ‘scooper-upper-dumper’ works so much better for a mechanical digger. Or my eldest son who misheard a word to confuse it with a family friend’s name to create ‘crash bang Lawrence’!

I can’t help thinking how the errors in those manuscripts humanise them and make them even more precious. And then there’s how the Risen Christ still had His wounds. Our upside-down God turns something horrific into something wonderful. His wounds seem like a metaphorical version of kintsugi to me.

God doesn’t make mistakes, we’re told. But He does allow life sometimes to damage us. I wonder if we need to be kinder to ourselves – as people and as writers. Not to ignore our flaws but not to be afraid of being corrected, edited.  To allow God to kintsugi us and our work. To consider if what we perceive as mistakes may make us, our writing, more relatable or cracks ‘where the Light gets in’ for others to see.

Just like that email I wrote (or even the second one that repeated the same mistype!) has transformed from highly embarrassing to a great story.


Liz Manning lives in Cornwall and is doing a Creative Writing MA at Plymouth University, where she’s exploring fiction, poetry, and dramatic writing possibilities. She’s working her dissertation, a hybrid and visual poetry collection called “These Three Remain”, which explores how faith, hope and love sustained her through difficult times.

She blogs regularly at https://thestufflifeismadeofblog.wordpress.com/


Comments

  1. Loved this, Liz! I've never really thought of myself as someone who's being edited and that's such a helpful thought! Very entertained by your stories about tyops ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fran. It reminds me of the sweatshirt my late mum used to wear with a bright green tortoise and the legend: Please be patient - God has finished with me yet.

      Delete
  2. This is such an interesting blog. I had never heard of the Japanese term 'kintsugi' before so I looked it up. Wikipedia told me that 'Kintsugi, also known as kintsukuroi, is the Japanese art of repairing broken pottery by mending the areas of breakage with lacquer dusted or mixed with powdered gold, silver, or platinum; the method is similar to the maki-e technique. As a philosophy, it treats breakage and repair as part of the history of an object, rather than something to disguise.' This relates very well to the tortoise on the sweatshirt message. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Veronica. Kintsugi is a fascinating and beautiful philosophy and technique/art. I recommend Bonnie Kemske's Kintsugi: The Poetic Mend if you want to learn more.

      Delete
  3. Lovely post, Liz. Thanks. Very informative and interesting. Typos can be every embarassing if misconstrued 'willies instead of wellies!! This made me laugh. Thank God you wrote the correct word. Making mistakes is human but God uses our mistakes to His glory. I too have learnt the bitter way and certainly now, go for professional editing ! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, Sophia, I wrote the wrong word! Thankfully the boys' parents just thought it was funny. Even when I misspelt it again in my follow up apology email. That or there was something vert wrong with my autocorrect.

      Delete

Post a Comment