The joy of sentences

 

Photo by Héctor J. Rivas on Unsplash

What's the longest sentence you've ever written? 

I think mine is 50 words, from my piece Christmas in the Trenches in the ACW anthology. 

Then before I realise it, I'm joining in and other members of the squad are too and not just half-heartedly but we are singing with everything we have got, as though we can cleanse our souls of the horrors of war with this glorious sound and these words of truth.

 How about a sentence of 115 words or 175, or the ultimate long list sentence - 475-words - from Jorges Luis Borges, “The Aleph.”

So why am I spouting about sentences? Because it's part of a course I'm taking with Bookfox, called 'How to Write a Splendid Sentence. 

From long sentences to short, list sentences, building blocks of sentences - juicy verbs, playful adverbs, clever adjectives, and preposition pileups: learn advanced techniques to ignite your sentences.  and then breaking the rules - how to use passive verbs, fragments, mix high/low diction, use repetition, and make up words.

Last month, when Susan kindly substituted for me, she asked you how you choose what book you'll read next. One way I choose is when I read a sentence from one, and then think 'This is amazing. I want to read more from this author.' Here is one example by John Irvine, that was used in the list section of the course: 

"When someone you love dies, and you're not expecting it, you don't lose her all at once; you lose her in pieces over a long time—the way the mail stops coming, and her scent fades from the pillows and even from the clothes in her closet and drawers."

 Isn't that incredibly moving? Now I want to find out which of his novels that sentence appears in and add it to my TBR pile. 

Now, not only am I learning how to write better sentences, I'm also learning styles of writing that I'd never come across before. Like anaphora for example - the repetition of a word or phrase at the beginning of successive clauses - which I noticed occurs in one of my favourite passages in the Bible, 1 Corinthians 13: 

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonour others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."

 I'm 33% though the course, so I still have a way to go, but I'm learning, I'm being stretched and I'm enjoying it. You'll probably hear more in the future. 

I'd love to hear one of your favourite sentences. One that has moved or thrilled you or stopped you dead in your tracks by it's sheer beauty. Please share them below or on Facebook.

Until next time, keep writing and reading!

Martin is a writer, baker, photographer and storyteller. He's been published in the ACW Christmas anthology and Lent devotional. He's currently honing his craft at flash fiction and you can find him on Twitter here








Comments

  1. A fascinating post, Martin. I've never thought about counting the words in my sentences. I know St Paul was renowned for writing long ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan, that's very kind. I never thought of that, re St Paul. I'll certainly notice it next time I read one of his letters.

      Delete
  2. Really fascinating, Martin, thank you! I feel better reading this post because a reviewer said I ' repeated words and phrases peculiar to African writing. I wasn't sure if it was a compliment. I was using a literary stayle -anaphora!! I use this a lot in my poetry. I now know that long sentences are a style too!! All the best in your course. Glad you are enjoying it.
    I love the ' If you think... superfragalisticdocious' sentence in Mary Poppins.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sophia, that's so kind of you, and I'm delighted that this post made you feel better. Excellent choice of sentence too! Blessings

      Delete
  3. I'm a bit like you, Martin, in that I often choose books to read based how much sentences grab me and make me want to read more. Bandersnatch was one of those.
    Favourite sentences must include the openers to Pride and Prejudice and A Tale of Two Cities. The lyricism of the latter always reminds me of Ecclesiastes. I wonder if Dickens was inspired by that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great to wonder what inspired these legendry writers to create their masterpieces. Maybe Dickens was. If we see him in heaven, we can find out then. Thanks, Liz.

      Delete
  4. Great post, Martin! A sentence that sticks in my mind isn't particularly long and came from the lips or the pen of Watchman Nee 'The Kingdom of God is like holding on to the plough whilst wiping your tears'. Definitely true for him and I suspect all of us at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John, that is certainly a sentence with great depth.

      Delete

Post a Comment