‘Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face’


There’s a stretch of road I know in the northeast of Scotland that I have always enjoyed driving along. Whenever I'm there, I want to pump the music up and put my foot down. It's dead straight and flat for the entire way, allowing me to spot any danger with nothing but fields and woods on either side. I can clearly see my destination ahead. Pedal to the metal time! However, I repeatedly forget what I have learned before. This road is not as it first appears. Deceptively, the flat surface is alarmingly bumpy. It always has been. Within moments, the car lurches and bounces. Backseat passengers get particularly upset about this I have found. It’s weird. I know this, yet I forget.

It’s been a funny old month or two. Not funny, ha ha. Regular readers might recall my musings in May revolved around being away on holiday, which was indeed the plan. I updated via the comments that we cancelled last minute after my mother-in-law’s health suddenly deteriorated. It was the right decision; she passed away on Coronation Day.

To round things off, we learned a little too late that Covid had secretly ravaged the hospital ward, latching itself on patients and visitors alike. We were among its prey. Being struck down with the lurgy isn’t ideal when there’s a funeral to arrange. One minute, we were cruising along a straight stretch of tarmac, blasting out the tunes, and the next we were lurching and bouncing on unseen bumps.

Life doesn’t always go according to plan. Sun Tzu, the Chinese general who was way ahead of his time with snappy sound bites, knew this. ‘No plan survives contact with the enemy’ is his famous piece of wisdom on military warfare. Or, as Mike Tyson paraphrased, ‘everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.’ I’ve always said he’s underrated as a philosopher.

Life has delivered a couple of glancing blows. Nothing out of the ordinary. We are still on our feet.

In recent times, one of my favourite books is ‘There Are No Strong People’ by Jeff Lucas. It expounds the story of Samson, the famous strongman. You may know him as the man whose shoulders were three hundred feet broad and whose single stride was two miles long! What a man.

I won’t seek to precis Lucas’s excellent book here, but the key takeaway is “there are no strong people, only people with strengths.”

If there is one mistake I make on repeat, it is this. I look at most of the people I know in person and online, assume that all is well in their life and that they are strong. Social media adds to this with its constant feed of ‘here I am again, having a great time, smashing it’. Nobody is having another ordinary day with bumps in the road. It’s not just social media, though. My formative Christian years were subject to a constant feed from men in leadership positions (it was all men) telling me how to be strong like them. Words like conquering and overcoming were firm favourites. Direct and indirect condemnation of pitiful, weak sinners got meted out. The preaching informed me their lives were one long, straight line of success because they were strong and had everything sorted out. I never once heard of their struggles, doubts, or failures. I’m sure they meant well, but it wasn’t for me.

Maybe you’ve hit some bumps in your life or in your writing and you're a little bruised or broken. You are among friends. Don’t be fooled by appearances.

“There are people with strengths, but there are no strong people. Except One.”

Jeff Lucas

Comments

  1. Great blog Dave. I totally relate to this, especially the part about men portraying such strength and resilience. So many men need to be real (they aren't) - this is real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brendan, I forgot to tell you that as a direct result of your recent encouragement I pushed a domino...

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful post, Dave. Thanks. Thoroughly enjoyed it. There is a dress I really love but when I wear it, I remember why I don't wear it often! Only our Lord is strong but we thank Him for the strength He gives each of us through His joy! Alleleluyah!! There is truly no strong person. We are all flesh - corruptible, vulnerable, perishable, etc. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophia, yes, it's amazing how quick we forget!

      Delete
  3. Yes, great blog. Strong! Reminded me of driving the long sweeping and empty roads from Northumberland up to Edinburgh, hitting the apexes, foot down around corners...but, yes, male vulnerability. One of the things that caught my eye when reading the bible as an inquisitive if a tad cynical agnostic is not only how flawed all the biblical heroes were depicted but the sheer honesty of the scriptures. Kinda convinced me it might be true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks John, I am encouraged by the flaws...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the honesty of this blog. Facebook does sometimes give the impression that everyone is having a whale of a time, but I know there's a lot that people hide. Being strong is a gift that often wobbles. I had my second cataract op on Monday. The first one didn't go according to plan, so I was very nervous (for that read fairly terrified) of what the second would bring. I do trust God for His unfailing support, but I was very stressed. I had asked for a hand to hold at the start, and after a few minutes the voice behind the hand said kindly, 'You can breathe normally. It's OK.' And this time it was.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Veronica, I'm glad to hear you found the strength to have the operation despite your fears. I hope your recovery goes well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment