The Power of a Proverb


I’ve had a few writing experiences through last week which have coalesced to produce some thoughts about very old writing which is still surprisingly true.

Let me explain.


I want to encourage a young relative of mine. She is a brilliant writer but she has stalled. So I have been looking through books about writing to see if I can send her some interesting prompts to help her write anything.


Then there is my WiP - I need advice myself for some of the more technical details of the rare disease which is featured. Asking a friend led to her finding a person who knew how I could access the sort of information I needed. My next task is to identify exactly what I need to know that cannot be found out through internet searches.


Finally, there was an article needing to be written for the town where my church meets. So I launched into that and ended up writing about sayings for life and then using a great passage from Proverbs which is about the folly of getting drunk and includes descriptions of those who drink too much wine feeling like they are at sea and ends with the words ‘when will I wake up so that I can find another drink?’ (Proverbs 23:31-35)


While I was hunting through Proverbs to find the passage I wanted, I noticed how useful these little pieces of advice for life could be for the Christian writer. 


Some of the proverbs could almost be sound bites. Several times, I’ve needed one of those to describe my WiP. I look like a deer in the headlights when someone asks me to describe the theme of my book in one sentence.The fairy tale ‘Cinderella’ could be described as:  ‘The righteousness of the blameless makes a straight way for them, but the wicked are brought down by their own wickedness.’ Proverbs 11:5.


I’ve noticed that selecting a few proverbs and placing them together can create a plot for a story. But it isn’t always necessary to choose the proverbs. Sometimes a hidden plot is waiting to be found with sequential verses already providing a story framework, like Proverbs 21:29-31:


The wicked put up a bold front,

but the upright give thought to their ways.

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan

that can succeed against the LORD.

The horse is made ready for the day of battle,

but victory rests with the LORD.


This could describe the theme of the whole Narnia series by C.S. Lewis.


For nearly every proverb, there is inspiration for a story waiting to be written. How about ‘A righteous man is cautious in friendship, but the way of the wicked leads them astray.’ Proverbs 12:26. Two opposing characters, who are they? Or is it one person who is cautious but somehow gets caught up with a violent gang?


So there we have it, these ancient mottos giving advice for a good life, written nearly 3000 years ago can provide good rules for living today, plus be inspiring prompts for writers even now. 


Now where can I find the one to describe my present WiP?


Excuse me while I dive back into the book of Proverbs.


Annie Try is the pen-name of Angela Hobday, which she uses 

when writing fiction. She is published by Roundfire Books, Instant Apostle and Kevin Mayhew. She is now working on her sixth novel.

Comments

  1. What a great idea,, Annie. Proverbs really punches above its weight for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s working for me - I’ve been mentally adding stories to quite a few.

      Delete
    2. Sorry Jennie, the above was my comment.

      Delete
  2. I've been reading Proverbs for the past week or so. Never considered them as plot lines and character prompts - but I will now. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post, Annie! Thanks. I have also used Proverbs as a heading for each of my chapters in some of my books. I love your idea of also using them as prompts in writing! A Nigerian proverb says that,' Proverbs are the horses of words. When words get lost, the proverbs find them!In many cultures, proverbs are used to drive a point home. Enjoyed the post. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a brilliant use of proverbs - wish I’d thought of that!

      Delete
  4. Some interesting thoughts there Annie in relating Proverbs to plots, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for your comment!

      Delete

Post a Comment