King's Writers


‘Build up, build up, prepare the road! Remove the obstacles out of the way of my people.’

For this is what the high and exalted One says— he who lives forever, whose name is holy: ‘I live in a high and holy place, but also with the one who is contrite and lowly in spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and to revive the heart of the contrite’ (Isaiah 57:14–15, NIV).



This is how we opened the ACW Zoom 2 event in mid-June, with the theme of removing obstacles.  Later in the passage, Isaiah says He ‘creates the fruit of our lips’ and therefore surely our pens? That’s good news! He is the author of our creativity; so He can say, ‘Be anxious for nothing.’ He has a central role in what we do. 

Sarah Grace from Malcolm Down Publishing shared her psychological insights into imposter syndrome. Part of Sarah’s job is to unblock the creative flow of her clients. I related to such internal battles in my own mind. Sometimes I wrestle with competence in my writing. Fragile attempts leave me feeling exposed and wondering whether it’s worth it. 

I found inspirational what Sarah had to overcome: dyslexia, a raft of negative words from institutions and loved ones. Today she has her own publishing imprint and has recently been invited to participate in a Cambridge University initiative providing inclusive reading for children.

Sarah posed these questions, ‘What are the voices in your head saying and where do they come from? Could that explain your progress?’ In my case, I had teachers who would have given blood before finding something positive to say about my potential. My petulant moments, too many scruffy late homework assignments and all the work ethic of a recently fed cat didn’t help. As a teacher myself, I know what I would have said to my secondary school self. 

Jane Walters considered some of the external and internal barriers to our writing, before going on to explore how to recover the joy of writing. She invited us to complete the following sentence six times: When I am writing, I feel…., encouraging us not to over-think but respond intuitively. I had to remember how much I love it. Once the fingers are tapping, I love the creativity and all that goes with it. When I’m in the zone, good luck trying to get me out!

Jane recently put in a text message, ‘Nicky, you are a writer.’ I was touched and heartened, but ultimately will I tell people I’m one? When do you become a writer: when you pick up a pen or when you have a series published? Worldly success cannot be the definition. Jo Gilchrist commented in one of the break-out groups, ‘What if the writing of the book is what God is doing in you – not the publishing?’ 

It was good to pray at the close of the session over all the concerns on our hearts. We arrived nervous strangers anxious about our validity and left as friends who could laugh together and ask God for help. After all, as Sarah Grace reminded us: we are all writers of the King.  



Nicky Wilkinson lives in Sheffield, is the Administrator for ACW and part of the ACW Sheffield Scribblers Group. She lived abroad in the Czech Republic and Zimbabwe for 26 years. She worked for FEBA Radio in Zimbabwe, and taught at Chisipite Senior School in Harare. Lately she has become an adoring granny to four grandkids.
 

Comments

  1. Lovely post Nicky! Thanks for the reminders and encouragement! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicola Wilkinson13 July 2024 at 09:32

    Thank you Sophia! Thank you for your regular encouragement it means a lot!!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. '...all the work ethic of a recently fed cat...' that made me laugh and cheer up a dreary rain-sodden July afternoon. Definitely keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicola Wilkinson16 July 2024 at 20:56

      I'm so glad I gave you a laugh!! Eeeesh this July is quite something!! Thank you for the encouragement. Blessings Nicky Wilkinson.

      Delete
  4. Nicky, you are a gifted, wonderful writer.

    You write with such an open heart, which makes it so easy for us readers to connect with you, and with what you say. A direct message from your heart to ours.

    If the word ‘writer’ is difficult, how about just saying, “I write”. “I run. I look after my grandkids. I pray. I write “. I will pray for all obstacles to melt away. I will pray that you know yourself to be the writer that God and Jane and Sarah and all the rest of us know you to be. A writer of the King.
    Camilla

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreeing with what was said above. I love reading beautifully honest writing. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment