Guess who's coming to dinner?

 

Photo by Erika Fletcher on Unsplash

If you could have three guests round for dinner, and they could be real or imaginary, from any period of history, who would you choose?

When our vicar asked this question, I went for David Attenborough, Ian McKellen and Martin Luther King. All amazing people in their own way, who I could listen to for hours, and it would be fascinating to see how they'd interact with each other.

But when I realised that I was allowed to have imaginary people,  I thought again, and decided on Ebenezer Scrooge, after his revelation - you wouldn't want the nasty Scrooge as a dinner party guest, he'd scare everyone away. Reepicheep, the swashbuckling mouse from Narnia, and Willy Wonka.

Our vicar went on to say that although it may not at first seem obvious, who you chose, tells something about you, so let me try and unpack this...

Let's begin with Scrooge - His total turnaround is very similar to a dramatic conversion, now that's not what I had, but I do have a faith, so I could happily chat with Ebenezer on his own, about this lives he's changed and the impact he's had, and how different he feels in himself, and maybe even ask him his views on God. 

Reepicheep - well, that one is easier as of course he would give his life for Aslan, and is far more loyal than I could ever be. I would sit in awe hearing his stories of bravery and would certainly be inspired. I'd also love to hear how he felt meeting Aslan.

Willy Wonka - it's all about the imagination and creativity. I'd sit mouth agape at what he's created, and drooling too, though I'd hope he'd bring some of his creations, maybe I'd even ask him before hand if he would kindly provide petits fours to have with coffee afterwards.

So does this say about my faith, inner desire for boldness and my creative side? I don't know. 

I'd love to hear which three people or imaginary characters you would choose and what you feel that says about you?

I'm writing this post early as today - Monday 1st of July - I'm going on a seven day retreat at a friary in Northumberland and I wanted to get this done in case I don't have the time when I return, so I'm sure I'll have lots to tell about that, but that will have to wait till Aug. 



Martin is a writer, baker, photographer and storyteller. He's been published in the ACW Christmas anthology, Lent devotional and three Flash fiction anthologies. You can find him on Twitter here.


Comments

  1. Lovely post Martin! Thanks for sharing that interesting question. I struggled with answers and finally came up with 3 people I'm not fully convinced.My 3 guests would be: Sir Lancelot, William Shakespeare and Matilda. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, what a wonderful combination! Brilliant! I'd love to join that dinner party and see how they'd all get on. Thanks so much, Sophia :)

      Delete
  2. Such a tough question! After some pondering, I'm breaking out the fancy napkins and amuse bouches for Jane Austen, Anthony Trollope and Rose Tremain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marvellous! I'm only familiar with Miss Austen's work, not the other two but I have a feeling it would be a wonderful feast. I'm seeing Prawn Cocktails, roast chicken, with excellent potatoes - for Jane's benefit - and individual damson crumbles with Chantilly cream.

      Delete

Post a Comment