How Dusty is Your Library Card?

 

Posted on Behalf of Elaine Langford, Guest Blogger.

What’s your favourite writing resource? Many will say Wikipedia, and others may use reference books they bought. I’ve just rediscovered the joy of using my local library.

Wikipedia has the advantage of being available at your keyboard. However, I’m wary that the content can be edited by anyone so not 100% reliable. I love my shelves of books as much as anyone but know some reference books get out of date very quickly. I know libraries have been more than physical books for some time, with audiobooks, eBooks and films available to ‘borrow’ via downloads. Yet I have not used one since using the onsite computers for free access to Ancestry when researching family history.

Whenever I move, I always join the local library. This time, they signed me up for an online membership too. As well as reserving books, you have direct access to resources like Who’s Who and the Britannica Library. When I heard that a magazine was asking for article submissions, I signed onto from home to see if they held any physical copies. While browsing, I found PressReader, a reading portal to the main national newspapers and many magazines. I was delighted the magazine I needed was included and I could view some back copies to review. Newsbank was another press resource, allowing text searches in past editions of The Times and Sunday Times, as well as many regional newspapers and other sources. My local newspapers were listed on the home page, and a search on my name located articles in local press elsewhere. The British Newspaper Archive contained further resources but that was only available on the library computers.

There were also job seeker resources, such as COBRA (Complete Business Reference Advisor). COBRA provided great advice on setting up in business as a ‘sole trader’ and provided career advice via Business Information Factsheets (BIFs). A search for ‘writer’ produced a long list of possible job titles, such as Comedy Writer, Freelance Writer and Freelance Editor/Proofreader. Each BIF contained topics on training resources, trading issues and specific industry resources. These could be useful background information for authors researching a fictional character’s career. If further searches were made for that job title in the press resources, it may also highlight significant events to provide that perfect twist to a storyline.

What your library offers on site and online may be different, but there’s still likely to be a vast range of mostly free resources. Why not give yours a visit and ask their staff what’s available. At the least you can save money from online ad-free access to newspapers, magazines and reference material to buy a few coffees. You never know, you may find just the right resource to inform or develop your writing and it may open an opportunity to share your writing with the library community and help others discover the library is their favourite resource too.

Elaine Langford is a guest blogger on MTW and posts infrequently on her own blogs: poems on Poetry Puddles [https://poetrypuddles.wordpress.com], faith reflections on Faith Bites [https://faithbites.wordpress.com/ ] and ghost-posts for her cat as Mad Lamb [https://madlambblog.wordpress.com/].


Comments

  1. Good post, Elaine! I use our local library a lot, borrowing physical books and using BorrowBox for digital newspapers, audiobooks (which hubby and I enjoy together) and ebooks. There are also social events and author events at the library. Recently I have started doing the jigsaw puzzle they put out once a week, while I fill in time before catching a train. That could provide me with lots of material to write about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. My library attendance has been a bit quiet of late. I was surprised how many new resources were available. Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post! I have had 3 author events in my local library but I have never asked or explored their available resources. Thank you very much. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments. Great to know you have opportunities to share your work in the library. Elaine

      Delete
  4. Great advice. Libraries do so much these days that goes under the radar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments. Elaine

      Delete
  5. I agree, libraries can be a great resource. I recently discovered that my local library have started a monthly writing group so I went along. I've only been once so far and it's been rather daunting (pushing me out of my comfort zone in terms of writing and also meaning I have to attempt to explain my very obviously Christian writing to non-Christians) but it is good to be stretched and to connect with others in the area who are interested in writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments. Glad you found community at the library.

      Delete
  6. And of course if a writer is registered with PLR they get money everyone takes their book out. Libraries are fabulous

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment