Where are all my notes?

By Derrice James




Ever since I can remember, I have exhausted myself scribbling down notes for my writing.  I look back and wonder why I just didn’t do what every good writer did in those days, and get a notebook!  I had a collection of yellow post-its, scrap pads, bits of torn paper, backs of envelopes, paper bags, tissues, anything I could get my hands on at the time to quickly jot down my light-bulb moment, when something amazing came to mind, because I knew I would never remember it again, and those thoughts, ideas, quotes, sentences, whatever, to add to my amazing book that I would eventually write, would be forgotten in minutes if I didn’t write them down there and then.

 

I would tell myself regularly that, when I get some time, I will put all my notes together and have enough material to write my book.  

 

All these years of collecting, I eventually managed to find a lot of them, and have put them into a box.  I was quite pleased with myself, but there are still hundreds of others, sitting on old broken laptops and phones that I have no access to it anymore, but my notes, stories and experiences are locked in them! 

 

I should have printed out all my work at the time.  But that was the old me.

 

The new, more organised me has now written and published my book, but have found that I haven’t actually had to use any of the notes I spent 50 years collecting.  The book is on something completely different and was totally inspired by God, who gave me all the words to write. 

 

So I am now thinking, what shall I do with all my notes? When I find them.

 

I believe God has a plan for all my notes.

Comments

  1. Great post, Derrice. I've been reading 'The 'Organised Writer' by Antony Johnston recently. He has loads of advice on this subject!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David, I will have a look at his book. God bless.

      Delete
  2. Well done for becoming more organised. I'm sure you notes will have a use.
    Today I have been trying to organise some of my writing into book-form. I am a bit better organised in my methods than I was last week. There is always hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan. That’s so good. I need to get more up to date with technology I’m sure it will benefit me. God bless.

      Delete
  3. Very entertaining! Reminded me of a leadership training event where the speaker asked whether we were filers or pilers. I thought of my desk buried under xyz and the filing cabinet with its neatly labelled folders...then was unsure whether I could say 'Both?' But it's great that you've found a box for all your notes and that God inspired your book...an encouragement! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John for your lovely comment. I think I can say 'Both' to that question too. God bless.

      Delete
  4. Love this! I have about six notebooks with one or two pages used... Maybe I should line them up and take turns on working on my notes for various projects?! I'm sure your notes will be used, even if it's not in the way you expect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maressa for your encouraging comment. Yes the notebooks I can really relate to. God bless.

      Delete
  5. Lovely post, Derice! Thanks for sharing your organisation skills! It can only get better. I try to use different notebooks for different stuff.Sometimes it's helpful but a nightmare when I can't remember which notebook has the stuff I need. Good luck. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment