Over and Out After Six and a Half Years, by Georgie Tennant

Beginnings can be easier than ends sometimes, can’t they, imbued as they are with connotations of hope and expectancy? Ends are sometimes harder to face, especially as it can be tricky, can’t it, to recognise when it’s time for an end that must be of your own making?

On the More Than Writers blog, people, rightly, come and go. It is an amazing place to hone your writing skills, develop the discipline of regular posting and receive great encouragement for your writing journey – and then step aside to make space for others to do the same. I have been writing for More Than Writers since my first post on 18th August, 2017, a grand total of six and a half years. I remember feeling so grateful, at the time, that a more seasoned writer had stepped aside and made way for my fledgling thoughts. Now I know it is time for me to do the same for someone else.

So this is goodbye from me, and thank you. Thank you to Wendy Jones then Rosemary Johnson, for giving a total novice a chance to find her voice. Thank you to each and every one of you who have liked, commented and shared my posts, enabling me to grow in confidence that my words were worth reading.


For those of you just starting out where I was, six and a half years ago – be encouraged! Everyone has to start somewhere. As I began to write for the blog, scrabbling for new ideas each month, I found confidence to write for the magazine a bit too. This, in turn, encouraged me to apply to be part of the wonderful collaborative books the ACW published for Lent and for Advent. Between that and the wonderful friendships and connections made in my local ACW group and at national events, my confidence grew, leading to the realisation, this year, of a dream – to have a published book, out in the world, which many of you have kindly bought and read. Other things have begun to happen, fresh opportunities, fresh doors to walk through. Have I “made it,” in my writing “career?” Of course not – so few of us will ever feel we have. But am I taking each opportunity, each step, thanking and trusting God for a future that is in His hands? Absolutely!

I am not recalling my journey to boast, or to say, “look what I have achieved,” but to encourage all who tread the path behind me. I had no idea what I wanted to write for a very long time. It was only in the gradual opportunity-taking, connection-making and finding of my voice that things began to crystallise. So, look into the eyes of He who gave you the gift of writing in the first place, and confidently take your next, wobbling steps. Perhaps you might apply to Rosemary for the slot on the 18th March and it might be a date you look back on with gratitude and nostalgia, as I do on August 18th 2017.

Georgie Tennant is a secondary school English teacher in a Norfolk Comprehensive. She is married, with two sons, aged 15 and 13 who keep her exceptionally busy. She writes for the ACW ‘Christian Writer’ magazine occasionally, and is a contributor to the ACW-Published ‘New Life: Reflections for Lent,’ and ‘Merry Christmas, Everyone.' She has written 8 books in a phonics series, published by BookLife and was a freelance writer for King's Lynn Magazine for a while. She writes the ‘Thought for the Week’ for the local newspaper from time to time and also muses about life and loss on her blog: www.somepoemsbygeorgie.blogspot.co.uk. She was recently the winner of the BRF devotional writing competition for "The Upper Room." Her first devotional book, "The God Who Sees You," was published by Kevin Mayhew in March. https://www.kevinmayhew.com/products/the-god-who-sees-you

Comments

  1. Thank you for all you insightful words, Georgie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Veronica Bright18 March 2024 at 08:35

    Thank you for inspiring and challenging and comforting us all. Wishing you luck and inspiration as you continue your writing journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bye for now, Georgie, and onwards and upwards in your writing journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I particularly liked your sentence ‘confidently take your next wobbly steps’ a paradox all of us who write know only too well! Thank you for your final MTW post. Very real & encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to thank you especially for your beautiful poetry, Georgie, and your blog of course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Imagine what could happen given another 6.5 years!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post, Georgie! Thanks for all you shared to bless us all over the 6 years. May God richly bless you. Amen. You will be so missed. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks you, Georgie, for all your contributions. Looking forward to hearing what comes next for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was nodding and agreeing as I read this. Exactly! The generosity of the MTW blog, giving novices a chance to take their first tentative steps and to practice the art of regular writing. It's wonderful. And look where it's led! Thank you for all your wonderful words over those six and a half years, Georgie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Georgie for all your contributions and for sharing your journey with us here. I wish you every blessing as you move forward with your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So true. MTW is a wonderful place to practise our craft and hone those skills. Have loved your blogs and will miss them, Georgie. But onward and upward 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nicola Wilkinson19 March 2024 at 15:54

    Ahhh that was really lovely! I feel today very much as you did then. What a gracious reflection on ACW and MTW. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Six and a half years on More than Writers is a huge achievement, Georgie! Wonderful. Well done! Wishing you blessings and bucketfuls (or is that bucketsful?) of inspiration in your ongoing writing journey.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for your blogs, and your kind encouragement!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment