Son



Following a wearisome few days of school life as a teacher, not to mention, parents' evenings and World Book Day (I dressed as Thing Two - Don't ask.), you can imagine my delight when I received a short text from my fifteen-year-old son which said, I could have my mothers' day present early. He had written a poem for me, and I could tell he was very proud of himself. 

Conscious that I needed to get my ACW blog post finished this evening for publication tomorrow (all I needed to do was take a few photographs), I arrived home at a fairly reasonable hour, changed into my pyjamas, and settled down, with a cup of tea, to read the poem. 

My planned post is now postponed.  I have decided to share this beautiful poem because you will appreciate it. It is appropriately titled: Mum.


Mum

When I was young, lying in bed.

I would lay down my weary head.

And listen,

To your many stories

Of tragedy, comedy, loss, and glory

Of animals, little boys, or big, scary trolls.

It came to life on your face,

Your voice, with so much soul.

Until I'd say, "One more! Just one more!"

And you'd give it your final send,

Are you ready?

"Yes!"

Once upon a time, the end!


So thank you, Mum, for sitting in the dark,

And reading for hours,"Nosark! Nosark!"*

For now, when I go to write, you're my creative spark.

So when you worry about leaving a legacy,

Think again.

Because I think you'll find it,

Sitting right here in my pen! 

ES


*Noah's Ark was ES favourite story as a young child.

Happy Mothers' Day.



Comments

  1. Woooow!!!! I am clapping hard with excitement. What a genuinely great work of art. A prodigy! Did you notice the craft of rhyme, semantic fields etc and all those poetic techniques we teachers struggle to get across to the kids? This guy nailed and aced it! What a talent. You must be very proud of the young man. What a great treasure for you! Truly, we thank God for children. Happy Mothers' Day to you too! Thanks for sharing this very beautiful and brilliant poem. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! And to know you've inspired his writing too. A wonderful mother's day gift

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one quality teenager you have there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deborah Jenkins9 March 2024 at 10:42

    Oh this is wonderful! I bet it sprung a tear or two. What a talented lad you have there 😍

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Smilingly beautiful. I love it. Veronica Bright

      Delete
  6. Nicky Wilkinson13 March 2024 at 01:12

    ahh that was so precious!! thank you for sharing. Mine are in their 30s it is a different season but am loving the budding of the next generation and the delight and crafting that comes with each new person as they take up their walk through this life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment