Is ‘Alright’ All Right? by Peculiar Medinus

 


A few years ago, while preparing to host my nephews on Boxing Day, a book title caught my eye in a grocery store: "Have You Eaten Grandma?"

The only grandparent I met passed away over two decades ago, so I had no plan to host a grandparent. I thought the book would have a hungry crowd of young school pupils. However, there was a unique connection that made me feel, “I’ve found a soul mate!”

I took curious steps towards the bookshelf, picked up the book, and sitting at the bottom of the front cover were these words:

“Or, the life-saving importance of correct punctuation, grammar, and good English.”

Those words made me feel like I was the right pupil for the book. It was another day of impulsive buying because that was clearly out of my budget. As I wheeled the trolley to the pay point, I thought donating this book to charity would take it to the right audience if I didn’t find it useful.

It remains my grammar compass today, capable of transforming writers into editors.

The author is Gyles Brandreth, a university chancellor who was an actor, a journalist, and a member of parliament. But what caused the lead conversion was not the name of the celebrity; it was the title of the book.

Why would any writer select such a title for a book on grammar?

This blog highlights the captivating power of titles and aims to encourage writers to consider choosing a title creatively. Do not be afraid to be creative with your titles, as opting for a traditional and straightforward approach may be less appealing. Choosing a captivating title can immediately grab the attention of potential readers. An exceptional title has the power to spark curiosity and attract readers from the start, even before they understand the content of your piece.

Moreover, an engaging title has the potential to distinguish your work from others in your genre or niche. In a sea of articles or books with similar topics, having an attention-grabbing title can make yours stand out and be remembered by readers. It gives you an opportunity to showcase your creativity and originality from the beginning.

Professionalism trumps perfectionism when it comes to achieving success in capturing and engaging with your audience with a title. A professional title not only grabs attention and conveys credibility but also sets clear expectations for readers.

Gyles’ professionally intrigued readers with a witty title before divulging the book's focus on the front cover.

This blog concludes by questioning a perfectionist: “Is ‘alright’ all right?”

That’s one of the intriguing contents of Gyles’ book, and here I have borrowed it as a title. What do you think?



Comments

  1. Such an incredible insight into titles. Written beautifully and tastefully. Definitely, I’ll be borrowing some of this tips in my next creative piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I really like the phrase, 'beautifully and tastefully' - It's very humbling to hear that you found some useful tips. You are showing as anonymous. Sometimes, Google like to keep us anonymous.

      Delete
  2. This is fantastic, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great thought-provoking blog, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brendan! I'm amazed you found my blog post thought-provoking. Your comments motivate me to keep learning and growing.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful post! Thanks Peculiar. This is so true about being unique and original with our titles. Most times I forget. Now with your post, it is engraved into my memory for my future works. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! Thank you so much, Sophia! You have a beautiful spirit. Your feedback inspires me to continue expanding my knowledge.

      Delete
    2. Ye, intruiging titles do have the power to make readers open the book. I bought 'Eats shoots and leaves' because it gave the distinct feel that grammar is fun. very good blog, Peculiar. Wish I had a clue about finding what my IRL is!!! Veronica Bright

      Delete
    3. You're not alone, Veronica. I had to log in to Google as I could not use my URL either. Thank you. I'll check out Eats, Shoots, and Leaves.

      Delete
  5. Thank you! I struggle with titles, it takes me ages with some books and stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maressa. I see what you mean. Have you tried using Book Beaver? It's a free book title generator.

      Delete

Post a Comment