What do you mean, it's Friday? by Jane Walters

In the middle of February, my son was due to start a new job on the Friday. He had his week all planned: buy new threads, get a hair-cut, grab a trip to a waterfall while he was still a free man. It was as he stood at the bus-stop that he took a call.

‘Hey! Er, thought you were starting work here today?’

‘Oh hi, no, we said Friday.’

‘It is Friday.’

‘Ah…’ *aborts trip to waterfall.

I had a similar experience a week or so ago, with the secretary of a church emailing me for the song choices and sermon PowerPoint ahead of a preaching engagement. ‘They’re a bit previous,’ I grumbled as I reached for my diary. No, it turns out they were very much on the boil. Somehow I’d missed an entire week.

Time can be so deceptive, can’t it? How come some hours can feel endless, while some whizz by in a moment? I guess it depends on how we are spending it. I’ve had a couple of conversations recently with starting-out-writers who are desperate to schedule writing time in an already packed timetable. (We can all sympathise! How many of us have prayed for extra hours in the day?) In each case, I was able to encourage them that we can make good use of even ten minutes, if that’s all we have. If you manage to write 100 words, then another 100 and another 100, it will soon add up. Far better that, than to wait for a full free day to arrive on the back of a unicorn and consequently achieve zero.

If you are interested in time-management, there are multitudes of titles to choose from, to say nothing about podcasts and other online content. I’ve read them myself, all those exhausting-sounding tips that have helped the author/presenter achieve the success they have. Perhaps some people need that kind of micro-managing of their days to get them into a more productive groove. Perhaps we can apply it in some way to our writing? But, for me, I always want to come back to the heart.

Yes, let’s try to carve out some time for writing; but let the reason be because writing gives us such joy.

Yes, let’s be disciplined and finish what we have started; but only because we can’t wait to share our ideas/creations with others.

In short, the time we spend writing should be life-giving! And who cares if we accidentally lose a week or two in the process? 


Jane Walters is Chair of ACW and leader of Green Pastures Christian Writers.

She writes devotionals for BRF and is currently working on a book of prayers.

www.janewyattwalters.com

Insta: @readywritersretreats

Comments

  1. Nicky Wilkinson13 March 2024 at 01:21

    Love it Jane, the joy of it is definitely why we are here fingers still tapping !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicky. I'm tapping away at my keyboard this morning and loving even the feel of it!

      Delete
  2. ... 'than to wait for a full free day to arrive on the back of a unicorn' - A superb way to describe it. I'm always making this mistake: waiting for a 'free day'. As for the 'what can you do in 10 minutes?' debate, we're always talking about this at our local ACW group after a 10-minute timed writing exercise in which we all produce something of significance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those timed exercises are real eye-openers, aren't they? When asked how much time we need to write, we always reply, 'A bit/lot more than I currently have', which turns out to be not quite true.

      Delete
  3. Love this! I found out from doing writing sprints during NaNoWriMo that it's amazing what you can write in ten minutes! It's a different way of working, and I hardly wrote anything for a year, as I was waiting for the time unicorn! Needless to say, he didn't come, so I had to find a different way. Thank you for this lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maressa! Keep those little sprints going :)

      Delete
  4. I needed this! Thank you so much, Jane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's great to hear, Peculiar! Bless you x

      Delete
  5. Veronica Bright13 March 2024 at 15:46

    I've been struggling with fitting in my writing for a long time. Every day ahead seems to be filled with important things before I even have breakfast! Is it possible to write and prune the bushes as well as practising the new song we learnt at choir this week, plus all the other must be done? I shall take the advice above and do ten minute sprints at my WIP. Thanks for an encouraging blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know those feelings! A to-do list as long as my arm. You won't be sprinting alone!

      Delete
  6. I use odd pockets of time for writing whenever I can, Jane. Had to get into that habit years ago when I had caring responsibilities. The habit has paid off though I like the sound of the unicorn. I do know there aren't any in Hampshire though. Allison Symes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very lovely post and encouraging, Jane! Thanks. I used to worry about my time not been fully utilized until I also told myself 'write for me, enjoy writing for myself...' That helps me get off pressure of guilt and your advice works too, 10 minutes, 5 minutes..., 50 to 100 words a day or [every 2 days] helps to get on the momentum! Before you know it's 5 or 10 minutes, it's not a 50 or 100 words but a thousand plus!!! God is awesome!! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post Jane, I've been thinking a lot about time management lately so this was a good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found it helpful. Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment.

      Delete

Post a Comment