Ambition’s a funny thing

Had I been one of Jesus’ disciples (!) I’m sure overhearing some of the things he said would have left me befuddled. For example ‘What do you want me to do for you?’ Jesus asked him. The blind man said ‘Rabbi, I want to see’.

 

It may have been a strangely obvious question to ask and yet if Jesus felt it necessary to ask it perhaps the problem was less located in the Son of God than the blind man. Who knows how long the gap was between Jesus’ question and the blind man’s answer? Seconds, minutes? Mark’s gospel is written at pace, he uses the word ‘immediately’ quite often, so we tend to think Jesus’ encounter with the blind man was done and dusted in a flash, no hesitation ‘Rabbi, I want to see’, then the miracle.



We all have ambitions – large and small that we treasure in our hearts.

 

I want to compete in a triathlon...one day. Either as one leg of a team or, harder, to do all three legs. I’ve held this ambition lightly for n years. In the past two years, I have graunched both shoulders and it has taken me almost two years to get back in the pool. Also, I tore a calf muscle twice and had a recurring sore Achilles, so my running speed has gone in the wrong direction. And, due to writing these days rather than cycling into work, wintry mornings somehow seem to keep the bike locked in the shed. Setbacks. But has that dimmed my ambition? No. Not when I think about it. It's still alive.

 

I wonder if our experience is similar to the blind man's. Do we have clearly defined ambitions as writers? Can we answer Jesus' question instantly? Then for Jesus to do a miracle and Boom! The blind man can see, or, ‘Rabbi, I want to write a book’. And off we go inspired and a book is published in no time?

 

In one sense maybe it is that easy to answer Jesus’ question. But I remember someone saying those like blind Bartimaeus were pitchforked into trouble due to the healing miracle. They knew how to be blind. How to survive by begging but now they would have to relearn everything, acquire new skills, face difficulties and setbacks, new discouragements. The speedy miracle was followed by a slower readjustment…even the ambition ‘Rabbi, I want to see’ may have been questioned, after all the difficulties encountered as a result of the miracle. It’s easy to slip back.

 

I know I’m preaching to the converted here! If you’re reading this your heart and mind are probably full of writing ambitions. But I wonder if you’re facing setbacks or disappointments, and the hill seems too hard to climb? Do I want to be published or is it I just want to write well, improve, enjoy it as a hobby, and not worry about public acclaim or obscurity? Maybe you’re driving forward with your next novel, or sitting at your desk staring into space…again?

 

Did the blind man have to take a moment? Maybe he did. Whether he did or not, he was faced with Jesus’ question – as am I - which I have reworked slightly: ‘What do you want me to do for you, writer?’

 

 

Comments

  1. Thanks John, I always find your posts interesting and thought provoking. It's great to see this question, 'what do you want me to do for you?'. Sometimes when I'm working with people in mediation situations they might say something to their colleague such as 'you never listen to me' and I encourage them to reframe their frustration into a request such as 'I need you to listen to me.' Being able to articulate what we want brings clarity. You have encouraged me to reframe my prayers today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, David. Glad the post encouraged you!

      Delete
  2. I guess my question has morphed a bit recently... Jesus, what do you want me to ask you to do for me? As you say there are many ambitions for writers, and we can get to the place for not knowing what we actually want! All if the above, maybe! I have found the place of rest to be in the centre of His ambition for me. As you say, like the blind man, He knows better than I what the answered prayer will mean to me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had to read your morphed version a couple of times! But, yes, that place of rest , I find, is easy to avoid or neglect…but very revealing when we actually Stop. Thank you Joy. Important point.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful post, John! Straightaway, answers came to my mind: Books to be filmed, thousands of reviews, fame, Book sales to 6 figures... Noone gave our Lord more than one answer! If I picked any one of my above writer ambitions, I would have answered the question and reduced my list. Moreover, Papa God tells us that ' we receive not because we ask not'. So this has reminded me to pray 'writer prayers' as well! It's easy to forget in the midst of life's challenges.Thank you. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Less is often more as they say! Thanks for your comments Sophia and hope you enjoy pruning your prayers!

      Delete
  4. Thank you! Yes, sometimes we can pray for the things we feel we should pray for, but it's not always our heart's desire, it is? There's a Dutch saying that says that having the object is the end of the object's fun, and that's often true! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Marissa. Keep those Dutch sayings coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicky Wilkinson13 March 2024 at 01:08

    Thank you John, I appreciated the way you wove the voice of Jesus through scripture into that encouragement to keep writing. I run too, and cycle despite falling off! I have been put off by the weather, but when the spring comes so will spring out again I hope!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment