Three years and counting, by Joy Margetts

Last week I celebrated a birthday. (Not my real birthday - that comes much later in the year and I’ve stopped counting those!) On the 19th March 2021 I held a new arrival in my arms, and beamed with joy, and thanked God for His gift. And I got to call myself an author for the first time.

Three years later I am still pinching myself.


Around the same time that I signed the contract for
The Healing, my daughter informed us that she was pregnant for the first time. So in 2021 I not only got one new title, ‘author’, but a second new title, ‘Nana’ (We already had a granny and a grandma in the family). We had two joy-filled reasons to celebrate that spring.

Anyone who knows the background of how my first book came about will know that my story is not typical. I understand that for many writers, it takes years of perseverance and practice, and re-writes, and failed submissions to bring a book to birth. The labour period can seem long and painful. I can imagine how hearing how someone, who never thought to publish a book, came out of nowhere and secured a publishing contract for her first novel, on her first attempt, might have grated a bit. A bit like those fortunate woman who drop babies without hardly a twinge of a contraction. Nobody was more surprised, or humbled, than me when it happened.

But looking back I know that publishing The Healing was only the start of something different, and bigger than I could ever imagine. A new season that God would lead me into, after years of struggle, much of which time I felt unproductive and unable to do anything of worth. Being an author changes your life, not perhaps quite as drastically as becoming a parent does. But it does bring with it new challenges, new opportunities and new joys.

Three years later my grandson is growing up fast. He loves to run and jump, and chats incessantly. He can do jigsaws, and build Duplo houses, count to seven and name all of the Paw Patrol characters. We watch him developing and maturing, and see how his world is expanding, as is ours as grandparents.

My first book has developed too, in that two other novels were inspired by it, and a fourth offshoot is currently in progress. My readership has grown, and whilst I am not a bestseller, and may never be, I know that my books have given joy to their readers.

Becoming an author has also led to other things I could never had anticipated. Friendships with other writers that will last a lifetime. Contacts with professionals willing to share their experience and to teach me the way of excellence. A devotional that would never come to print if I hadn’t already been published. And a vision to do all that I can to encourage others, like me, who want to write for the Kingdom. Which in turn has thrown me into running retreats, building team, creating websites and recording podcasts!



So I celebrate this third birthday of my book with great thankfulness, and with a great deal of wonder. Looking back at just how much my life had changed in three years in ways that could only be God.

My books have multiplied and so have my grandchildren. I dare say there may be more of both to come! And I will enjoy this season of my life for as long as it lasts.

And just a word of encouragement for those still waiting to see their book dreams realised. You may not know when your period of labouring might suddenly come to an end, and what God might bring to birth from you. But when it does come to that moment I pray that God will provide you with just the right midwives, friends and helpers to help you make that transition into the new season of your life. Don’t underestimate the One who can do exceedingly more than we can ask, think or imagine!


Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us,  to Him be glory...

Ephesians 3:20 -21 NKJV


Joy Margetts writes Christian Historical Fiction. Her debut novel 'The Healing' was published in March 2021, and her second ‘The Pilgrim’ in July 2022. Her third novel 'The Bride' was  published 20th October 2023. She has also recently published her first non-fiction book, an Advent Devotional entitled 'Christ Illuminated'.

 Joy makes her home in beautiful North Wales and takes her inspiration from its rich spiritual history and stunning landscapes. She is also wife, mother and grandmother and a lover of the Word of God. Her personal blog and more information about her books can be found here www.joymargetts.com 

 

 

Comments

  1. Happy Birthday to your books! So glad you started writing, Joy; I've loved them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And they meant that I met you! What a blessing x

      Delete
  2. Happy third book birthday Joy! I'm so glad we were in the same labour ward at the same time (stretching that metaphor a bit, but you know what I mean). He is so good! Praise the Lord

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stretching? ouch! But yes, I'm glad we delivered close to one another too! What a wild ride it has been! Grateful to God for you!

      Delete
  3. Lovely post, Joy! Happy Book Birthday and congratulations all round! Count your blessings, name them one by one and you will be surprised what the Lord has done for you! And for others by your testimony. Thanks. Of course, I enjoyed 2 of your books and reviewed them. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind! God is so good!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for sharing Joy, how amazing our God is. Happy birthday books.

      Delete

Post a Comment