What's in a word...

 

My photo for the word - Twinkle

 How can the word 'crumble' evoke a pull on your heart? 

 When a writer creates a story like this one...

From her grief sprouted seeds of poison oak, stinging nettle, and hogweed; a protective enclosure around her heart. He trotted into her life, tail wagging, and her defenses began to crumble.
In each other, they each found the love they needed to heal. @KEHazardWrites

How can the word 'crumble' open your eyes to our new reality? 

When a writer creates a story like this one...

Once upon a time we listened
To those with whom we disagreed

But now the robots tell us
Whatever we want to hear
And who to hate

X marks the spot
Where democracy began to crumble @brycemeister

How can the word 'crumble' transport you to a cafe in Paris? 

 When a writer creates a story like this one...

 A grocery-store croissant crumbles in her mouth. She closes her eyes, lost in hot, melting butter and cold raspberry jam, the fog of The Grey Lady’s chill fingers on her arm, and a memory’s warm lips on the inside of her wrist.
How she misses Paris. @WindwalkerWrite

 Just a tiny sample of the writing delights that I've had the pleasure of reading over the past eight days during my time as the vss365 host on Twitter - which for me, and many of it's users will always have a blue bird as it's symbol! 

 My hosting time began with the delicious word Scrumptious, followed by nonsense, plum, gloop, twinkle, nettle, crumble, and today's was hubris - kindly suggested by my wife, who came across that wonderful word in her book 'Atlas of the Heart'. 

As for the rest of the words, well you'll have to follow me on Twitter to find out. I'll be the host till Aug 15th. I may very well be doing a follow up blog post, when I've had time to reflect on my time as the host. 

Let me know in the comments or on Facebook of some of your favorite prompts or words that have inspired you to write.


Martin is a writer, baker, photographer and storyteller. He's been published in the ACW Christmas anthology and Lent devotional. He's currently honing his craft at flash fiction and you can find him on Twitter here.

Comments

  1. Lovely post, Martin. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nikki, that's very kind. Sorry for my late reply, I've been so busy hosting. Still time for you to write a vss using one of the prompts ;) Martin

      Delete
  2. Will go over to Twitter to find you and have a look at this! (Sheila aka SC Skillman)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Shelia. Will look forward to hearing your thoughts and maybe reading a very short story or two ;) Sorry for my late reply :) Martin

      Delete
  3. Nice post, enjoyed it! (What do we al think of the 'new Twitter' - that X could be a big negative but maybe someone could come up with something positive about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Clare, that's very kind. Sorry, struggling to come up with a positive re the name/image change. The bird was so lovely, whereas I feel the X appears negative and rather threatening. It could go with my word for today though which is foreboding. Martin

      Delete
  4. Lovely post, Martin. Thank you. As for favourite prompts, apart from Shakespeare's quote on There is no art to see what's in the mind[ something like that] I love the bible chapter on Love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Sophia, that's very kind, and yes, Shakespeare was one of our greatest playwrights so it's hard not to be inspired by him :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment