Patmos Publishers

 

Male lion looking fierce, with black background


From: submissions@patmospublishers.gr

To: john.thunderson@theway

Dear Elder Thunderson,

I have read your latest submission. It seems a clear departure from earlier works of yours, and certainly provoked quite a stir here in the office. On reading it, our work experience student - the 'expert' on apocalyptic fantasy literature - found it highly absorbing. However, some of our older staff could not understand much of the symbolism and complained that it was too opaque.

The marketing team here have asked that you choose a genre and stick to it. Is ‘Revelation’ a vision, a prophecy or an extended letter? If the latter, we are concerned that giving the real names of the churches might result in a libel case or two being brought. Would you consider using alias names please? 

Would you also look at the line near the beginning where you promise blessings to all who read the words; don’t you think this is a little presumptuous? Perhaps we can find some famous faces to write some commendations instead; perhaps some big names in Jerusalem and Rome for the widest possible readership?

Another query from our editorial team is about including footnotes to explain the extensive symbolism, much of which can be interpreted in different ways. Could we also dispense with the crazy time frames?

There is a continuity issue which several of us picked up on. Did you notice that after the Lion is introduced, the image changes to a Lamb? This is confusing. Please decide which animal you intend to use.

Structurally, we have noticed some clever patterns, but they do seem to get tangled up a little. How about changing the order around a bit when you rewrite? Readers don't buy complicated plots in our professional experience. Keep it simple.  

The conclusion, after all the violence and drama, does rather leaves us hanging. We would like to know more, or perhaps end with the protagonist as he wakes from the vision. Come to think of it, could you decide who the protagonist actually is? We sensed a shift in main character from the narrator to Jesus. Instead of concluding abruptly, what about a nice greeting to the churches and a few personal notes? This might connect better with your readership, many of whom expect a certain kind of familiar ending.

While we are grateful for your submission and recognise that you are a big name in the field, we do not automatically feel this is right for us to publish unless and until we can make the necessary changes.

Please do get back to us,

Blandinus

 

 

From: john.thunderson@theway

To: submissions@patmospublishers.gr

Greetings Blandinus,

Grace and peace to you.

I can assure you that the vision I received was far from opaque. In fact, it was rather enlightening. I have done my best to record what I could. The points you make, while interesting to note, do not change what I saw. I will not be changing a jot or tittle.

I wonder if you could put me in touch with your Ephesus office?

Those with me send their greetings.

John

 

 

From: submissions@patmospublishers.gr

To: john.thunderson@theway

Dear Elder John,

Yes, yes, I fully appreciate you want to involve the Ephesus office and don’t like our suggestions at this stage, but I must insist you take me seriously.

Our work experience lad has told me some of the references concern Rome. If this is true, I must ask you to tone down the remarks about ‘Babylon’. It all went over my head on first reading, but we might alienate a huge potential market if we speak badly of Caesar. I probably wouldn’t be able to get funding for printing either.

Maybe you could visit the offices and we could talk this over in person?

Blandinus

 

 

From: john.thunderson@theway

To: submissions@patmospublishers.gr

Blandinus,

Grace and peace.

Can’t visit office. Have also remembered that redacting this particular work is not in my power – see the final lines of the manuscript.  

Any news of Ephesus? Who is your contact there?

John


 

From: submissions@patmospublishers.gr

To: john.thunderson@theway

Dear John,

It is with great regret that I write to inform you that Patmos Publishers have decided not to print your manuscript. It has proved too divisive, and we cannot see a future for it.

Blandinus

 

 

From: quietbeliever@thebrothers.gr

To: john.thunderson@theway

Dear Elder John Thunderson,

Grace and peace sir. It is a huge honour to be contacting you, although I need to be brief. You will forgive me, I hope, for taking your contact details from the PP offices. I have been undertaking a period of work experience there and have read your amazing manuscript ‘Revelation’ several times over.

I’d love to visit you and talk over how I could get this sent to Ephesus for publication and distribution discreetly around the interior of Asia, through a few contacts I have. Please don't worry about PP – it’s not the end of the world. I believe that the staff there may have misguided concerns about the book. I’ll be passing your way after the next Sabbath and could call by. I have lots of questions to ask you in person if you would be willing to talk. Let me know if that’s not a good idea.  

Your dear friend and humble servant,
Gaius


Lamb




Lucy Marfleet loves reading, laughing, her husband’s cooking, walking her dog and marvelling at how tall the kids are getting. She teaches Biblical Studies for Spurgeon’s College on their Equipped to Minister course and has a Masters in Theology from the International Baptist Theological Seminary. See her blog at www.lucymarfleet.com

Images taken from Pixabay

Comments

  1. Wow! Great example of thinking outside the box, Lucy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely reading these unique write ups! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this tremedously. Thought provoking and funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant! I'd love to know how this editor responds to the Song of Songs ...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment