VICTIMS OF PERSECUTION


 

I can’t believe this day crept upon me without my knowing! It has been a hectic August.  6 of my grandchildren spent the first10 days of August with me. On the 12th, I had my first open mic poetry event. Two days later, I went to Cumbria and spent another ten days with an ill sister, returning on the 26th. I attended a family wedding all day yesterday  the 27th and spent today, the 28th entertaining my senior sister from Nigeria and other family members. Then I heard my hubby say, ‘Today is the 28th’ -  That Was God using the Holy Spirit to remind me of my MTW post. So sorry it’s late but it is better than never.

I share a poem this month  from a place where I have spent 43 years of my life. It is an issue that keeps me on my knees to God in prayer. Let me share it with you:

 

Victims of Persecution

 

The suffering church in Nigeria

The North of Nigeria

Facing persecution for Jesus

And rejection for Jesus

The young maidens of Chibok

The young maidens from the North

Abducted in one night

Away from family and friends

Away from the church of Christ

Away from their families

They cried for help

But rescue did not come

They cried to God

He saw and heard them

He gave them grace to survive

And the will to testify

And the courage to keep faith

 The government of Nigeria

Failed them

The army did not rescue them

Their schools failed them

One victim is Agnes

 Now nineteen years old

Now a mother of two

Forced to Islam against her own faith

God rescued her back to her world

But her own did not receive her

Faced with rejection from family

Faced with the fruits of rape

Faced with abandonment from Nigeria

Faced with disruption of education

 I ask, Agnes, how are you?

 You are still young

You have hope

You have faith

You have God

You will testify very soon

Chibok victims, how do you fare?

Our prayers continue to hold you

The suffering church in Nigeria

How do you persevere?

How do you feel about Nigeria?

 

The suffering church in Nigeria

Needs your prayers, your love

Your support and your faith

Agnes and the rest will testify

To the goodness of God



 


 

Sophia Anyanwu lives in SE London with her loving husband and two blessed daughters.  She’s an educationist, encourager, reviewer, author and poet. She’s an active grandmother to 7 grandchildren when not writing!    She is a member of the Association of Christian Writers, UK. She has published 14 books which are available on her website: www.olusolasophiaanyanwuauthor.com and Amazon. Poetry Matters a poetry collection will be out soon. You can subscribe to her YouTube channel here: https://bit.ly/3j0oPuy and follow her on all social media here: https://bit.ly/3UG36Kx

 

 


Comments

  1. Your poem reads like a Psalm, Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thanks. I use poetry to address issues around the world. Like those psalms that David laments on, about some issues of life. Thanks for the observation. Blessings.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing Sophia. We need to remember how our brothers and sisters suffer all over the world, for their faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right! Thanks.We can do this in poetry and prose. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for reminding us of this issue - and in such an eloquent way.
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment