INTO THE PROMISED LAND, A PERSONAL JOURNEY by Bobbie Ann Cole

 



Bobbie is going back to school— in Israel


In just over two months, my husband and I will be moving to Israel, where I shall be studying Jewish Studies at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, a 2-year course.

I have only a vague idea of what I will want to do or where we will want to be at the end of it. We love Israel, but it’s a hard country to live in. (We have done it before.) And even harder at the present time, with the far-right ultra-Orthodox elements of the coalition government trying to impose their own sectarian vision for the Land.

Underpinning Christianity

My idea for the course is to hone my knowledge and understanding of Judaism to better understand how it underpins Christianity. Also, given that the whole of the early church was composed of Jews, I would also like to plot the evolution of both faiths since the parting of the ways.

I also love the Hebrew language. Part of my course requires that I become proficient, which is not too daunting, (she says with bravado), as I already have level Aleph and something like the vocabulary of a 3-year-old…

Beautiful Canada


Our idea for the future, for my husband and myself, has yet to take form. The reality of leaving our peaceful life here in New Brunswick, a beautiful part of Canada, for throbbing Jerusalem is beginning to make us homesick, before we even leave.

Grandchildren

Home in the UK is also calling. I gained a new, unexpected grandson 20 months ago. There is now another grandchild on the way in September, a much-desired IVF baby… I would like to be a part of their lives.

Complex and Exotic 

The Bible calls Israel God’s Promised Land and I feel that intensely when I am there. I feel as if Yeshua (Jesus’ name is Hebrew for ‘Salvation’) might appear over the crest of a hill and come towards me, anytime. Or I might spot him, standing beside me buying Jaffa oranges at the souk.

Israel is a gorgeous, rich, exotic and fertile Land of Milk and Honey whose delectable Seven Species are wheat, barley, grapes, figs, pomegranates, olives and dates, (Deut.8:8). 

Sabras


Its people are complex, brave and resilient survivors. Native-born Israelis are known as sabras— prickly pears. The prickly pear is a tall cactus that lines crop fields all over Israel, keeping out beasts. It is tough and thorny on the outside but soft and sweet on the inside, like the Israelis.

The country is full of meaningful biblical sights and sandy beaches. It is high tech yet sometimes chaotically Middle Eastern. It can also be the exact opposite - over-rigidly organized.

We love it.  

We could stay on there after my studies, should we choose to do so.

Three Daughters



To me, the three countries in my life—my native England, Butch’s homeland of Canada, and Israel—are like three daughters. England is the gentle-faced one, steady and solid. She and I have always been close. Canada is kind and gives me space to breathe, although she is more dramatic and extreme than her sister and can sometimes be icy, in both the literal and figurative sense. Israel is more mysterious, my dark-skinned daughter with the flashing eyes, exotic and potentially explosive. This daughter is so different from the other two that I wonder constantly whether she can really be mine. 

It looks like when the time comes, in two years, it will be a hard choice.




Bobbie Ann Cole is a writer, speaker, writing teacher and book coach.

·       Check out her latest blog post at http://scrollchest.com.

·       Invite her to speak at your online event.

·       Take part in FAB CHOW, her free group for Historical And Biblical Fiction Christian Writers Online. Next meeting 10.8.23 – Members Readings – at 7.30 pm UK time. Get on the mailing list at http://ahava.space.

·       Check out her books about or set in Israel and her writers’ programs at https://bobbieanncole.com or email Bobbie for a free 'Getting Unstuck' chat at bobbie@bobbieanncole.com


“Bobbie is an excellent coach who consistently provides detailed, thought-provoking feedback that pushes your writing to the next level. I find our 1-2-1 regular sessions to discuss progress particularly helpful in resolving plot glitches, while her enthusiasm for my story encourages me hugely to persevere and greatly increases my confidence. She has changed the way I read fiction and her eye for detail, plot structure and plausibility is a real blessing.”


Bess Twiston-Davies


Comments

  1. I hope you enjoy the course: I loved studying Inter-Testamental Judaism as my special subject in the final year of my degree course. Personally I think living in Israel may be quite challenging at this time. Let's pray things settle down a bit (a lot!) in the next few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to your prayers, Clare. You will have discovered through your course that there was not 400 years of silence between the testaments, as some ministers preach!

      Delete
  2. So pleased for you Bobbie, and can't wait to hear more about your adventure. I love the way you describe Israel, and I long to see it and experience it - one day. I especially like your three daughters imagery. It is really evocative. All three are part of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will come out and visit me, Joy. My dream is to hold a writers' retreat in the Land - visiting the important sites and then writing about them and sharing.

      Delete
  3. This is a beautiful post. I had a strong sense of what Israel is like and picked up a deep spiritual sense of longing in it. This is what a love for more than one land can make us feel. Sheila aka SC Skillman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sheila. I am glad that my heartfelt love for the Land came through in the writing. God bless you.

      Delete
  4. How exciting, Bobbie. I loved the way that you compared your three homes to three close family members. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you here, Katherine. Thank you for your encouragement.

      Delete
  5. Life is such an adventure, Bobbie! It will be thrilling to see what use God makes of this experience for His kingdom! I love you analogy of the 3 daughters. I feel somewhat that way with England and the US, but it's ore like having 2 mothers .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love adventure - I want to see all the world and have it all as well, and eat it all up. It is so very beautiful.

      Delete
  6. Your creative style of writing is heart-warming, it provoked my mind regarding my two homes, England and South Africa and I am encouraged to complete my memoir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a warm feeling to know that my writing has been an encouragement to you. Please reveal your name!

      Delete
    2. Now, look, oh dear - I've commented as Anonymous myself!

      Delete
  7. Oh Bobbie, what an excellent piece of writing. I loved the way you explained your three daughters as the three countries in your life. Your style of writing draws one in. I want to read more. I am so thrilled with the way your life has progressed. It will be exciting and yes, I do believe you will feel stretched! I pray for blessing all along the way! Thank you for your support and assistance in my life. God bless you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Lynne - thank you for your encouragement. I am feeling particularly stretched today as I am working out which modules to register for. So many yet such hard choices - I'm like a kid in a sweet shop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Bobbie, This is a beautiful overview of the adventurous life you lead.Love the pictures. I am looking forward to hearing your stories as time goes on. You are an inspiration to all of us. Blessings,Gaetane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gaetane. I plan to be reporting regularly on what I find in God's Holy Land.

      Delete
  10. Dear Bobbie, this is a beautiful piece of writing! I love the reference to the three daughters, you bring a story to any situation, truly a gifted writer! What an adventure you are taking on. I am excited for you. I just had to comment again. I look forward to chatting with the YESHUA GROUP on Saturday. God bless you Bobbie and thank you for your inspiration and support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Anonymous. I look forward to seeing you at Yeshua Group on Saturday.

      Delete
  11. As ever, I'm horribly behind, which means you are moving any minute now. Like other commenters above, I also love the idea of three daughters (I really do have three and they are very different from one another too). It's making me reflect on how I see England and South Africa; both beautiful in their way but poles apart in history, culture and outlook. Thanks, Bobbie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are right, Jenny. We are moving very soon. Hopefully, I'll get to meet my new grandchild first, my daughter's first baby. I am so pleased you like my countries/daughters analogy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment