A Good Policy by Joy Margetts

 I am a writer. I guess if you are reading this, you can say the same. I love writing. I communicate best, and express myself best, through writing. My writing serves both as a creative release and a way of processing my thoughts and often my prayers.


It is only in the last couple of years that I have found joy in writing historical fiction, and the blessing of writing for publication. But for as long as I can remember I have been a writer – long before I was an author. I still prefer to refer to myself as a writer, and I am not alone. We are an Association of Christian Writers, not an Association of Christian Authors!

This last week I have been writing all week. It wasn’t fiction, even though the ideas for Book #4 are buzzing and I am desperate to find the time and space to put them into words on the screen. No, the last week has been taken up with rewriting our church Safeguarding Policy. And actually there was enjoyment in it. In doing it to the best of my ability, and using some of the skills I have learned through writing books, especially the editing skills I have acquired.

Although writing policy and writing historical fiction might seems miles apart, in fact the process was remarkably similar!

1.       Research – I had to do my research on Safeguarding, current legislation and guidelines, what needed to be covered by the policy, what other organisations had done. It wasn’t as enjoyable as historical research, which I can easily lose myself in for hours. But it was time well spent.

2.       Plotting – I had to decide on the framework, the template I was going to use to write the policy in a way that was easy to follow and would cover everything it needed to. I have to admit that I am more than a pantster than a plotter when it comes to my fiction, but I do usually have a rough storyline in my head. A starting point and a finishing line to aim for at least.


3.   
Writing – getting started was the worst. But then that is the same whatever I am writing. Where and how to start when the blank screen stares menacingly back at you. But once I got going – actually I quite enjoyed the writing. Making it readable and accessible.

4.       Editing – yep, going back over what I had written and spotting errors, rewriting where necessary, cutting and pasting and moving things around. I actually find the editing process enjoyable  - up to a point. By the fifth time you have reread your own words it can become tedious!

5.       Beta Reading – I don’t think I am alone in experiencing something akin to terror when you first ask people to read your work. It doesn’t really get any easier, the more you write. And sending the Policy out for Trustee approval was equally painful! Responding with grace to their questions and criticisms, grateful for their positive feedback. Knowing it will make it a better finished product.

6.       Publishing – well of sorts. The Policy is going to be released to the church next month, in association with a training programme to tighten up our safeguarding practices.


We all write. And it isn’t always the things we would prefer to be writing. I think the thing I learned, whilst buried in policy writing, and yet yearning to be in my medieval fiction world, was that if I have been given this gift of writing, then whatever I do with that gift has the potential to honour the Gift-giver.

I want my writing to honour God. Does the Safeguarding Policy honour Him? Yes, of course! God’s heart is for the vulnerable and He calls us to protect them and give them a voice. Safeguarding is a biblical mandate. Is it possible to honour God even when we are writing for work, for coursework, for church or other communities -  or replying to emails, or writing letters of complaint? It’s a challenge!

When it comes to our writing, God has given us a policy to follow, and Paul wrote it down for Him in the letter to the Colossians.

 And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Colossians 3:17 NKJV

I like how The Passion Translation puts it (brackets mine)

Let every activity  of your lives and every word  that comes from your lips (or from your pen) be drenched with the beauty of our Lord Jesus, the Anointed One. And bring your constant praise to God the Father because of what Christ has done for you!

Colossians 3:17 The Passion Translation

Is it possible? What do you think?


 Joy Margetts writes Christian Historical Fiction. Her debut novel 'The Healing' was published in March 2021, and her second ‘The Pilgrim’ in July 2022. Her third novel 'The Bride' will be published later this year. Joy makes her home in beautiful North Wales and takes her inspiration from its rich spiritual history and stunning landscapes. She is also wife, mother and grandmother and a lover of the Word of God. Her personal blog and more information about her books can be found here www.joymargetts.com 

Comments

  1. I have spent two years writing grant applications and that's taken up more time than fiction writing, so I know what you mean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard sometimes to see both as something we can honour God through!

      Delete
  2. Sadly a very important document to have been writing...'love your neighbour as yourself' covering all manner of safeguarding, not only that we ensure people don't actually exploit or abuse others, but that in an everyday sense, they show politeness, respect, compassion and at the same time welcome and inclusion... as our God demonstrates in the person of Jesus his Son...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Shame that we have to write it into policy when Christ taught and showed it all.

      Delete
  3. Lovely post, Joy! Thanks.Just realised there's a world of difference between a christian writer and a christian author! Thanks for Colosians 3:17. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes a Christian writer can honour God whatever they are writing!

      Delete
  4. Very encouraging post, Joy. Over the years of helping draft safeguarding, church lettings and data protection policies, I've not always felt as inspired as I do when writing sermons, short stories or novels but absolutely right: God gives us our writing gift to use in so many different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Passion Translation!? I hadn't heard of that. But I like the way it has presented Col 3v17. So, thank you for that extra bonus. But I also appreciated the distinction you made - ACWriters not ACAuthors: that struck an important chord with me. I've been pondering on why I stumble over answering the question 'And what do you do?' It's not quite imposter syndrome but I've settled on 'writer' or 'I write' rather than 'author' despite self-publishing one book thus far. But if a publisher would like to publish my forthcoming historical fiction and/or a children's book maybe I might try saying 'author'. Meanwhile thank you for Col 3v17.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John. So glad it blessed and encouraged you. I still prefer writer to author even with several books published. It's who I am not what I do!

      Delete

Post a Comment